How to choose an operating system for a virtual private server (VPS)?

CyberAlchemist

Every time I chose a VPS I find difficult to choose an OS for my VPS. If my sites are PHP sites with MySQL databases then what operating systems will be good for My VPS?
CentOS 6
CentOS 7
Ubuntu
Debian

Which is more stable, secure and help my VPS run fast? why?

RDO Servers

CentOS is by far the most popular choice for web servers, but really any of those are fine.

Really it comes down to 2 factors:
1. What are you more comfortable using
2. Do any of the services your going to run, work better on a particular OS.

Localnode

CentOS also has a free [URLnf="http://centos-webpanel.com/"]web panel[/URLnf], think of it as a free alternative to cPanel; it's still new though and there may be security holes. There're other free control panels around as well, a lot will work on Ubuntu.

ElixantTechnology

ElixantTechnology
The problem with Ubuntu is it was not developed to be a Server OS, but rather a desktop OS for those looking to introduce themselves to the world of Linux. Ubuntu is based off of Debian, so for a more stable server type OS if you are familiar with Ubuntu I would recommend Debian.

For the most part however, CentOS is the most popular, powerful server based operating system right now, based off of RHEL; this is what I would recommend.

hmb-robert

I will suggest to use CentOS. If you are familiar with CentOS7 then go for CentOS 7 otherwise CentOS6 will be fine.

Generally managed VPS servers comes with pre-installed softwares like apache, mysql, php. So, once signup process completed you can start to use your server instantly.

laceibanet

CentOS is what's considered the most reliable for web servers, but all others will work too. Just depends what software you plan to use or run and if it will work on the OS you choose. All would be good choices though

MarcS

Ubuntu is more likely a desktop based OS so I recommend CentOS 6 or CentOS 7 to be installed on server. Also, If you are going to host multiple shared accounts in your VM then CloudLinux is also a great choice thought it's a licensed. CentOS Web Panel is good but there's lots scope of improvement, currently it cannot match the cPanel.

Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.