How to move big data from a Shared hosting to a VPS?

JoeHamilton

I could not compress all files in Public_html folder because it was 5GB of data and it made my browser interrupted any time or stopping the process...I used compress function in cPanel.

For moving files from a VPS to a VPS, I can use this command via SSH

Code:
zip -r myfilename.zip * .htaccess
and it worked as well. But for a shared to a VPS then it was impossible, are there any fast ways to move big data from a shared to a VPS?

Any suggestions?

Developer

Having a few sites well in excess of 10GB (digital downloads, etc.), I always
found it best and quickest to compress folder by folder... This way, I could
even relocate folders as necessary...

You COULD do several folders per compressed file as well... It will take a little
longer, however, it will ensure you don't miss any files either.

Also, is there a specific reason you are "zipping" your files? I always use tar.gz
compression as I always found that to give better results (smaller file size).

Ron Killian

An even easier way would be to have your host move your stuff for you. If you have a quality host, they should be more than happy to do it for you.

My last move, my new host moved EVERYTHING for me, including cpanels, login's, ect. Over 100 gig and many, many, many files. Over 150 DB's as well.

Just my thought :)

ElixantTechnology

Do you have a control panel on the VPS, if so this is a very easy task. Otherwise, it can be a bit more difficult and without direct access (ssh) to each server you will have to do things the long way.

JoeHamilton

Having a few sites well in excess of 10GB (digital downloads, etc.), I always
found it best and quickest to compress folder by folder... This way, I could
even relocate folders as necessary...
This is not easy if you have a folder 4GB and 50 folders with 1GB...it still needs a new solution.

An even easier way would be to have your host move your stuff for you. If you have a quality host, they should be more than happy to do it for you.

My last move, my new host moved EVERYTHING for me, including cpanels, login's, ect. Over 100 gig and many, many, many files. Over 150 DB's as well.

Just my thought :)
Yeah I submit ticket but as my experience, they could send me a download link around 3 to 4 days while I could not wait that.

Do you have a control panel on the VPS, if so this is a very easy task. Otherwise, it can be a bit more difficult and without direct access (ssh) to each server you will have to do things the long way.
Of course, I have cPanel and they guided me to click on Backups icon to do a full backup but it failed more times...so I am finding other ways.

Ron Killian

Well, I hope this is to move away from that host. Though you probably don't want to hear it. :)

With all the hosts here, sure some one will come up with a good solution.

Developer

This is not easy if you have a folder 4GB and 50 folders with 1GB...it still needs a new solution.
1 GB folders would compress to movable size chunks. It is VERY doable, I have done it many times in the past.

Yeah I submit ticket but as my experience, they could send me a download link around 3 to 4 days while I could not wait that.
So, instead, you'll spend days on here looking for a solution? Why not just get it started and "get er done"? NOT trying to be sarcastic, just saying...

Of course, I have cPanel and they guided me to click on Backups icon to do a full backup but it failed more times...so I am finding other ways.
Another way would be, as I initially said, compress into tar.gz files and then using shell access and "wget" on the new server to grab the files from the old server.

1. If you have shell access on the OLD server, run ulimt -a to see if there is a file size limit
2. Run ulimt -a on the NEW server to see if there is a file size limit
3. Compress each folder on the OLD server making sure they do not exceed the limits

NOTE: Make sure all *.tar.gz files are in a publicly accessible folder ( [URLnf="http://www.old-server-domain.com/filename.tar.gz"]www.old-server-domain.com/filename.tar.gz[/URLnf] )

4. Make a list of all the files you just created and name the file list-of-files.txt
5. Upload the list-of-files.txt
file to the new server
5. Run wget ‐‐input list-of-files.txt on the new server
6. Uncompress and move on (file permissions and directory structures will remain intact)

MarcS

If your VPS has cPanel installed, you can perform the cPanel to cPanel migration. It's easy and convenient and you do not have to restore everything. cPanel will create the backup of your account from shared hosting, move to VPS and restore it in VPS.

Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.