Starting and Running a Web Marketplace?

JoeHamilton

Hey friends
I am interested in starting and running a web marketplace where sellers and buyers trading their stuffs but am struggling with how to protect them and how to mange/control/grow it. Any input is greatly appreciated. I have struggled with this for months!

Ron Killian

Might help to give more details. What kind of marketplace? What type of products or services?

When ever you have a platform that others can use, you have potential for abuse. Don't mean to be negative, just the reality.

One safeguard for sure is to delay payments. Will help some to keep out the quick scammers.

JoeHamilton

JoeHamilton
I am considering niches such as

IM products where marketers can buy and sell their products
Web design where webmasters, web designers trade their products
SEO and Social media services where marketers, webmasters can buy and sell services as traffic, likes, SEO services...etc

or combine all into one. does it make sense?

A platform for this could find on theme marketplace such themeforest, template monster or other theme marketplaces.

Ron Killian

Obviously there are already sites out there that offer services such as that. Fiverr, seoclerks, ect. So many gig type sites these days.

How are you going to be better?

I have never set one up, so I really don't know. Like you said, there are many theme's out there for this kind of site. But those are just theme's, do they have safe guards for buyers and sellers. As you've already mentioned, that is going to be one of the most important aspects, protecting your buyers and sellers. You'll have to investigate the options and see if they have those features.

Or you could get a fiverr clone script. An idea.

Course, this like anything, how are you going to get traffic? How are you going to get buyers and sellers?

onegoodman25

hi Joe,

So, I used to own the 4th largest freelancer marketplace 5 years ago, there are many challenges. You have mentioned few type of marketplaces, each has its own challenges. I have moved to other business since then ( i ended up selling it as i received an offer from the 2nd largest competitor at the time ).

My largest struggle after getting it successfully up and running, wasn't maintain the sales , SEO, marketing , etc but really keeping scammers off the site, there is a big portion of scammers that target these sites and one of the main reason a lot of those businesses end up out of business.

There are many solutions out there help you prevent those scammers and keep them out of ur site, but they tend to cost money ( i currently using a security solutions of all type for my business, email verification, phone verification, etc.

I would encourage you to study the market pretty well before entering, i spend 3 months just studying my competitors before i jumped in because i was aware it is a tricky market and more competitive than many people think.

We always look at the surface, and surface always looks good, it is what is underneath that should be of a real concern.

DavidFeldman

Hey friends
I am interested in starting and running a web marketplace where sellers and buyers trading their stuffs but am struggling with how to protect them and how to mange/control/grow it. Any input is greatly appreciated. I have struggled with this for months!
First step is a business plan--what precisely will you offer, how will you offer it, how will you fund it, how will you advertise it etc...

FuzzyBear

I know that I'm too late but my answer might be useful for others.

You should start a marketplace by choosing the right software platform for it. This initial stage is very important because the right platform will allow you to run your marketplace smoothly in the future. Make sure that the platform has a convenient seller management system, various payment and shipping options built-in, mobile-friendly design, good SEO functions, downloadable products support, and everything. Make sure that it will be easy for you to customize and expand the platform by adding 3rd-party plug-ins and modifications. Also, the software must have a reliable support: both regular updates and tech support team.

There are many ecommerce marketplace platforms that meet these requirements. I'd suggest you to look at CS-Cart Multi-Vendor as I had experience with it and was absolutely satisfied with its functionality, support, and performance.

Besides the software, make sure to get some marketing courses if you don't have enough skill to make business.

Anyways, starting and running an online marketplace is a tough thing. You should know what you're doing, you must plan your strategy and think 3 steps ahead.

Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.