Webmaster Sun Login
Not a member yet? Sign up

How do you stay focused on work at home?

• HOME
  • FORUMS
  • WHAT'S NEW
  • BLOGS
  • MARKETPLACE
  • ADVERTISING
  • SPECIAL OFFERS
  • WEB HOSTING
  • QUICK MENU
  • REGISTER HERE - Join us for FREE
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Stick this thread
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 17/0
    Given: 1/0
    Thanks
    Alright so there's a lot of good stuff above! I'll add my 2 cent:

1. I recommend reading "The ONE Thing" by Gary Keller (or listening to the audiobook). Really helped me out. Basic idea is that you should find the most productive thing to do (the thing that produces results) for 4 hours (minimum) first thing every morning. To find out your one thing, ask yourself, "What is the one thing I could do right now that would make everything else easier, or irrelevant?" Obviously not everyone can do it first thing in the morning (work etc.) so you could find another time of day. You could wake up a little earlier and do 2 hours in the morning, 2 hours in the evening. The basic idea is: no distractions. No matter what. This time is sacred, and you use it going hard.

2. Something that's helped me massively is the pomodori technique. A pomodoro is the singular. The idea is kinda like interval training in health and fitness. 25 minutes working, 5 minutes resting, to increase the quality and intensity of the work period. Also allows you track how much you're actually getting done (crucial).

3. Eliminate all distractions. Eg phone on airplane mode, find a quiet place/"plug-in" (eg headphones).

4 Take a few deep breaths before you start and quiet your mind. This will increase the effectiveness of your work by increasing your concentration.

5. Meditate daily. I know it's not for everyone, but I had to include it because it's been so incredibly helpful for me. Basically all incredibly successful people meditate daily, usually in the morning, so I'd recommend that highly.

If you have any questions, I'm happy to help

Cheers

Cam

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0
    Given: 5/1
    Thanks
    good idea - is when you preparing to work on - add all social networks urls to the hosts file with 127.0.0.1 forwarding) No chance to procrastinate that way

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0
    Given: 0/0
    Thanks
    Great question! I use a daily action item list. My goals are posted on my wall so they are in full view. Both keep my focused.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 33/0
    Given: 9/0
    Thanks
    One of my biggest issues for a very long time was getting distracted with FB or phone.

However, I am in the process of creating new habit.

1st - I don't work right away. Instead... I exercise for 20 min, and create a to do list for personal and business stuff.

This actually gives me an overview of what I need to do in one day...

Then, I look at all task, prioritize, and schedule in the time to do all of those... So let's say, e-mail checking 20-30 min.

FB messages 15 min. etc...

I work 2 hours straight, and take a break...

My walks are scheduled in as well.

This way, I get more stuff done, and sometimes a lot faster than I thought I could.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 493/1
    Given: 27/1
    Thanks
    I setup what I call action blocks that are 15 minutes long each. Each action block contains a task or part of a task I need to do. They can also contain multiple short tasks.

Now I also setup the same number of goof off blocks. During these goof off blocks I can do what ever I want.

I alternate these action blocks and goof off blocks.

I actually spend less time working but get a lot more done each day than when I try to work for hours at a time.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks
    I try to set a solid schedule for myself and stick to it, but it's tough sometimes being at home and having the freedom to basically do whatever you want. I have a white board up in my little office room of my house, and I write down the things I want to accomplish each day, and cross them off as I go along. I don't always work the same schedule every day, but I make a point to get done what I've set out to do.

Also, I break the monotony of my day by going for a walk, doing things around the house, or just taking a breather.

The goals list has worked well for me, because it's visible and a constant reminder of what I should be doing

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 5/0
    Thanks
    So I just started to work from home about 4 months ago and it's different. There is no social interaction and I think that's the biggest drawback, however the flexibility and privacy that you get working from home is best.

The one thing that really keeps me focused and attentive to my work is stepping away from my desk for a few minutes every hour or 2 hours. That keeps me fresh and focused. It helps drive away the boring feelling you get sitting at a computer for hours.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 27/0
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesperez View Post
    I just read an article to help you staying productive when working from home and I'm interested it .If you guys share the idea or what are your tips to stay focused on your targets when working at home?
    1. Look for an area in your house that's suitable enough to work with.
    2. Make sure this area in comfortable and free from distractions.
    3. And this area must be accessible to all the things you need to help you be more efficient at work.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/0
    Thanks
    From my perspective as a consultant from home, what I for the most part keep in my brain is to realize what my objective is, the thing that I need to accomplish, then well ordered I will do it - pick a subject, direct an exploration, then discover a motivation to compose. Time administration in addition to center that will keep me intrigued on the essence of what I am accomplishing as an independent author.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 15/0
    Given: 4/0
    Thanks
    Being interested in what I do is the most important thing for me. Its like meditation, I really get into what Im doing at the moment. That said, I have 2 screaming kids and a screaming wife so sometimes its impossible, but will make me stronger in the end

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 23/0
    Thanks
    I wrote a post on my blog addressing the same topic as your question, But i dont think im allowed to promote my blog on here right now, so here's the jist of what i wrote...

1: Motivational focus - Think about your situation, are you happy where your at in life? where would you want to be? want would you want to do right now if you could? what motivates you?...friends?...family......a higher power?...You need to think about these things, think about where you want to be and all the things you want to do in life and whether its friends, family, god, or all three that keep your fire burning and keep you pushing on, you need to remember this when you hit tough times or you feel like giving up as these times will come and you have to push-on and keep motivated.

2: Organization is key - keep everything organized as it will make things easier and allow you to allocate time and energy where needed so you dont burn yourself out and lose focus and motivation.

3: Goal setting - Make sure to set goals while staying organized as when you reach any of your goals it will not only bring you one step closer to being successful but will also boost your moral and keep you focused on keep hitting Targets as you see yourself slowly and consistently progressing towards your goals(that is the definition of success! )

Hope that helps!
    Last edited by mikeandy01; 04-23-2017 at 12:37 AM. Reason: typo

Thumbs Up/Down
    Given: 95/0
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeandy01 View Post
    I wrote a post on my blog addressing the same topic as your question, But i dont think im allowed to promote my blog on here right now, so here's the jist of what i wrote...

1: Motivational focus - Think about your situation, are you happy where your at in life? where would you want to be? want would you want to do right now if you could? what motivates you?...friends?...family......a higher power?...You need to think about these things, think about where you want to be and all the things you want to do in life and whether its friends, family, god, or all three that keep your fire burning and keep you pushing on, you need to remember this when you hit tough times or you feel like giving up as these times will come and you have to push-on and keep motivated.

2: Organization is key - keep everything organized as it will make things easier and allow you to allocate time and energy where needed so you dont burn yourself out and lose focus and motivation.

3: Goal setting - Make sure to set goals while staying organized as when you reach any of your goals it will not only bring you one step closer to being successful but will also boost your moral and keep you focused on keep hitting Targets as you see yourself slowly and consistently progressing towards your goals(that is the definition of success! )

Hope that helps!
    It lacks of a thing: How to Manage Time When you work at home.

It is the problem I am caring and I have not got a good solution for this.

We should manage time and works like when we work in an office?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks
    Set goals for the week ahead. Understand how these fit with your long term objectives.

At the start of the day make list of what you need to get done.

Then apply the Pomodoro method. Each of the tasks get 25 minutes allocated to them.

Work solidly for 25 minutes on the task. No distractions.

Take a break. Move onto the next task.

You'll be amazed at how much you get done if you can stick to it.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks
    Sit very far away from the TV remote.

I find it a bit easy now than when I first started working from home. Now I have a very strict schedule that I keep to. I start my day by ensuring that I am properly dressed (not in a bathrobe - that doesn't work for me). I then check that my kitchen is clean, breakfast dishes packed away, my desk and workspace area cleared from yesterday's work, and my coffee in my hand.

The TV in my home is off till evening time. I make it a rule never to put it on while I am working. And it's worked wonders

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 4/0
    Given: 2/0
    Thanks
    Those are useful tips and advices up there. I have a simple solution to that though, on how to stay focused at work. I usually make things organized and in order before I get into the action. What also helps is keeping my workplace clean. And I make sure that I won't be bothered by that time-frame where I am usually working. Cheers!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Thanks

How I stay focused on work at home

First I free my mind of any distractions like song and movies. I can get a quiet place around and arrange my material for work, I make them handy to ease my work and make it fast. My body my soul and my mind must be focused on that particular thing I'm working on. Then settle down for work

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks

Staying Focused During Work At Home

I get rid of all distractions and lock myself indoors, my siblings could be really naughty and nossy so I show them my harsh side to get peace of mind and space to work. Working from home is another task on its own apart from the real work, so for me to work well I get out of my comfort zone, the bed or couch seem irresistible most times.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 15/0
    Thanks
    Distraction is one of the grave problems for the people working from home. Distraction becomes even greater if you don't have a proper working space. If you want to remain focused while working from home you have to eliminate distractions.
    First of all you need to identify distractions. Find out what is disturbing you.
    Secondly, set a working time. Just like the set duty hours when you work in an office, you also need to have working time. During this time, never abandon your work.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 19/0
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesperez View Post
    I just read an article to help you staying productive when working from home and I'm interested it .If you guys share the idea or what are your tips to stay focused on your targets when working at home?
    The best way to stay focused on work is to not work at home. I have a laptop and work in my city library. Great W-LAN, silence and you don't get disturbed by whatever you can do at home.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks
    It was really difficult at the onset to stay focused. There was so much distraction from kids at home, background music, and the sound of cars passing on the street. Where I stayed was pretty close to a busy road. I decided to get a DDF in my home, and made sure whenever I was there I meant business without my phones and other devices that can cause distraction. I have grown to be comfortable working there without being distracted. I also made sure it is well equipped with a good chair and working table.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks
    Its hard for to stay focused at times, especially since I am full time student, mother and housewife. But, I have learn to divide my time and get it done. Chaos works for me It motivates me to work harder to reach my end goal.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 9/0
    Given: 4/0
    Thanks
    Working at home can come with many perks. One of them on your own time which can be a real benefit. However, things within our personal household can also distract us from achieving the same type of work efficiency you would get in an office setting. Because of this, I take focusing on my work very seriously.

To begin, I'll normally put my phone on silent mode. No vibrating or ringing which would usually distract my attention from the work project at hand. I also normally find piano jazz study/concentration compilations from YouTube. They last for about 2-3 hours and keep me in the zone to focus on my work. I like coffee when I wake up and feel sluggish, though sometimes it can make me feel jittery and fidgety, which can sometimes work against me on the principle of focusing. Silence from the outside world is a key factor for me as well as I'm not too fond of outside conversions and voices while I'm trying to stay focused.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks
    I make it a habit to pin my target earnings on my screen. If I am idling, I look at the screen and get motivated to focus towards the financial targets for the month.
    Having a quiet room helps me to focus. If I'm distracted, I will go for a short walk around my garden. Looking at the flowers and greenery will freshen my mind.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Thanks
    Focus, and having daily goals. I am lucky to have a couple of jobs that pay by the task, so I can set tangible daily goals for how much money I'd like to make. I also have bigger goals (that new Huwawei laptop looks gorgeous) that I'm going to hit in the longer term.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 13/0
    Thanks
    I do blogs and articles. There's so much money to be earned by that and a lot more to learn from them. Remember to come up with genuine and legitimate ways to do such things. Copying and pasting won't do if you wanna survive. Have patience and work in your free time. Don't overdo it. Have fun with what you do. It may not work overnight, but it will work eventually if you put a little more effort and time. Do some research beforehand.

Newer Threads

1. LailaMaulix
    MrT
    Replies: 1 | Views: 742
    Last post by MrT, 03-10-2016, 04:58 AM
  2. wmguides
    wmguides
    Replies: 0 | Views: 1125
    Last post by wmguides, 03-10-2016, 08:02 AM
  3. vishwa
    geeksremote24-7
    Replies: 8 | Views: 1938