To www or Not to www?

harrygreen90

I am setting up a new domain in Google webmaster tool and curious which is better for SEO? WWW or non-WWW in URL?

for example

Code:
http://example.com
or
http://www.example.com
which is more advantages? if I select non-www, do i need to add a redirection for my domain?

Please explain me! thanks

samimnoorzaitgc

Preferred domain name should start with www. There no advantages and dis-advantages between them but it is recommended to use the www version.

HBAndrei

The most logical solution I've found and that I run with:

- the actual usage on your webserver and when linking online, don't use www. as domains are long enough without you making it even longer. Almost all my domains redirect the www. to non-www.

- when telling someone in real life to visit your site, use www. so they can better understand and remember your site.

ulterios

I don't think that it makes a difference one way or another. As long as you have your redirects set up properly it should make no difference.

Personally, I have both and just use what I think looks best for that particular site.

If you are not sure after thinking about which you like best then I say "When in doubt, use what the big boys use!" and go with what the top websites are using...

God Luck either way. :)

samimnoorzaitgc

I Agree with SEO pub. Set the proper 301 redirect. One more thing to add: If you want your domain short & easy to remember, choose the non-www version. Like efc.co . It doesn't look good with www.efc.co does it? for long domains, www version will be fit! Othe than this, I have no Idea :D
And to you Pub guy, why don't you add your own's instead of directly striking people?

Hawker

I swear I commented in a thread exactly the same or similar to this the other day?

If I remember right, I think I commented on why we still use WWW in the URL at all.

I mean, browsers don't even need to use the WWW to find the URL anymore anyway.

Maybe back in 1991 they did but not these days.

However, look at all the biggest Internet sites and for some reason they all still seem to revert to and use WWW in their URL.

But you have to ask, why? for what purpose? What does it achieve?

If you ask me it doesn't achieve anything and just makes the URL longer and nobody likes a long URL?

I personally think they should do away with this cumbersome and bulky WWW protocol.

It doesn't serve any purpose at all these days and we can certainly live without it.

For that reason, I'll always choose to redirect my URL to the non-WWW version of it.

Unless someone can tell me a good reason to keep it and revert to it?

janseo

It is not recommended to keep both versions from SEO point of view but it doesn't matter a lot whether you choose www or non www version. Once you set the proffered version you need 301 redirect to the preferred version.

R44

Since I started my site, I used www. Not because of SEO reasons, but because I knew that I would have multiple sub-domains. And it fits into the server naming convention.

varunsharma

I am setting up a new domain in Google webmaster tool and curious which is better for SEO? WWW or non-WWW in URL?

for example

Code:
http://example.com
or
http://www.example.com
which is more advantages? if I select non-www, do i need to add a redirection for my domain?

Please explain me! thanks
Hi,

you can choose any of them, but setting a proffered domain is necessary because otherwise if you are website is running on both domains Google will consider it two different sites.

Charliedavid

There are absolutely no SEO benefits of choosing one over another. Even Google has said that it all depends on your preference. What’s important is that you stay consistent with the one that you chose at the time of starting your website. In other words, DO NOT change your site URL to add or remove www from it. You can let Google know about your personal preference, and they will honor it.

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
prm
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.