Addon domain cpanel login

Omer Farooq

Hi, I created addon domain in my cpanel and when I tried to login to cpanel from the username and password I created for that domain in the cpanel it did not login. What if I allow someone else at my home to use the addon domain then what user name and password they will use to login to the cpanel of the same hosting account? same as what I am using or they can create a separate login and password for their login?

elcidofaguy

I dont believe it works like that with splitting up your cpanel account... Unless you have a VPS and access to WHM (or its equivalent) for example then you are not able to create multiple cpanel accounts. It also depends on your web hosting account and what software they are using... If you only want them to logon to the website such as wordpress then why not give those credentials and not your cpanel logon? I'm sure some of the web hosting experts will chime in with some more detials... ;-)

Hawker

What you've said sounds about right tbh elcid.

I think the confusion here is the password you need to set when you add a new domain as an addon domain in cpanel.

When you create an addon domain in your cpanel's addon domain page, you have to set a directory (the domain) and a password. This password is not for cpanel login.

This password can be used for an FTP account.

When you created the addon domain, the FTP connecting details would have also been automatically created for it and can be accessed from the FTP accounts page.

You cannot provide cpanel hosting unless you have a reseller account in which case you can sell them a plan from your plan depending on your plan.

You can give them FTP access, and of course, access to the website such as the WP-Admin login as an admin. As elcid has said.

But you shouldn't give your main Cpanel login details to anyone.

Hope this helps!

ulterios

I have actually heard of people having this issue more often than you would think when new or fairly new to cPanel and/or add-on domains in cPanel.

When you are adding on a domain, the password that you are actually setting is just for FTP access to the domain you added and not for cPanel itself. Your cPanel access will be the exact same for all domains that you have on that particular account, at least with shared hosting.

The password is intended to be used for FTP access to upload/download files to the folder that was created for the add-on domain.

cPanel access (user/password) will remain the same.

ElixantTechnology

The reality is that cPanel was developed in such a way, as all control panels, that each individual cPanel account is intended for an individual website and that is what hosts recommend. It is found more and more that users are bypassing these recommendations by creating addon domains to host multiple websites, and while not exactly frowned upon depending on the package offer and the limitations in place it is not recommended as each account may be limited by resources resulting in further limitation per domain.

When creating an addon domain the username/password you may create in cPanel will only be for FTP access and not cPanel access, thus if you wanted the other person to have cPanel access you would be required to provide them with the master account password. If you are offering hosting to others by means of this I recommend getting a featured Reseller Hosting package that will allow you to further isolate websites and provide your customers with their own control panel access.

Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.