Domain transfer?

Omer Farooq

Hi, I have a domain with one company here locally to which I pay for its annual fee, now I want to transfer my domain to a more reliabel company so that I can get more security on my domain, if I have an existing wordpress blog on my domain do I need to change the blog or I can transfer my domain to another company without my site being affected by the change?

Hawker

You just transfer the domain, then change the nameservers in that domains control panel nameservers page to yours.

Wait for the changes to propagate.

If you are only changing the domain host, that's it.

But if you are moving your whole site (domain+hosting) then you will need to transfer your sites files/databases/email accounts etc to your new hosting account as well.

Your new host may even be able to do this for you if they're a good host. Else you'll have to do that part yourself.

Hope this helps!

laceibanet

if you're not moving the website itself you don't have to do anything other than set the nameservers. If you're migrating the website as well you'll have to update nameservers for the domain once the domain transfer is completed. Usually takes a day or two for the changes to take effect , but other than that you won't have to do much. Check that your wordpress gets migrated by the company you're moving to so they take care of the setup if any.

ulterios

Most domains you can transfer the domain to another registrar any time after 60 days after the initial registration or recent transfer of the domain or 60 days after making whois owner/admin changes. There are some registrars that have some shady tactics to lead you to believe that you can't transfer even if you are going by ICANN rules and guidelines but usually those are just wrong.

However, depending on what you agreed to when you registered the domain, you might be locked at that particular registrar if you agreed to keep the domain with them for "x" amount of years or etc. This however is rare and not the case with most domain extensions.

If everything is as it should then transferring to another registrar should be no problem.

With many of the better registrars, you won't even need to setup the nameservers as the current ones will be transferred and be in place upon transfer so their shouldn't be any downtime waiting for propagation. Check with the new registrar to see if this is the case with them. Others will let you set up the nameservers during checkout or while waiting for the transfer to complete so there's little to no chance of downtime.

Good Luck

jerryperes

Yes, you can transfer your domain name but in which have some condition. Your domain name must be registered with valid registrar and you have access to download your Database. Your domain must be unlock and registered for at least 60 days.

Zack

Just switching to a new registrar is real easy unless you have one of those registrars that make things hard in order for you to just forget about moving and stay with them.

If you aren't switching your hosting and keeping it on what you have now then you would only have to change the nameservers at the new registrar after the domain is transferred. Many of the registrars will use the same nameservers that a domain is using at the time of transfer so if you are not switching hosting and you are using your hosts nameservers then you won't have to do anything.

Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.