Happiness in marketing

dpratter

My name is David and I'm going to be entering college and intend to major in marketing and the more I think about it the more I'm starting to convince myself not to. It feels as if there isn't a lot of happiness or gratification in the field. Then again, what do I know. Can anybody give me some insight on this?

MrT

Heh... no matter what field you go into, marketing or anything else, it seems as if there isn't a lot of happiness or gratification.

Happiness is an interesting thing. Based on my experience, it has nothing to do with the amount of money you make, though making money helps a lot.

Truthfully, if you don't like marketing, don't major in it. It's an overpopulated field and the degree, in my opinion, isn't worth nearly what it was a decade ago.

If you want happiness, only you can find it. Following someone elses suggestions won't get you there.

sahbi77

Hey David,Personally I studied marketing as a module, and I never liked it due that I'm not good in writing and analyses (I love Numbers). However, the last couple months I have introduced or guided to "Internet marketing" and How you can make money from this very competitive field. I have been obsessed, it is very overwhelming but i'm getting it, I feel like it is a way of happiness and a way for financial freedom.
If you are really interested in marketing, my honest advise will be go with internet marketing and you will be very happy and successful. Specially being an affiliate marketer is a way of success and a kind of relief from 9-5 job, it's an online business (if you have a computer and internet connection, you are ready to go and ROCK)
Check it out and do not hesitate to ask any further questions regarding this subject.
Good Luck brother.

dpratter

dpratter
Thanks for the response I dont think i'm in a position to decide yet seeing as i havent even started yet but this definitely gave me the motivation to give it my best. Thank you

ericplotz1

I definitely 2nd what sahbi77 said.

Marketing is a cut throat game. If you're not on your toes, someone will take your job. We do it all of the time. It helps we've gotta couple of "gray hairs" on our team that worked for a reputable software/tech company in Seattle (hint hint). So we let them do all the selling for us, while us young guys hungry to make a million bucks, are busting our humps to be the best.

I'll let you in on a secret.

I scored in the top 5% in the state I went to high school in.

Because I was busy working on a t-shirt company, taking care of my G-ma, and a load of other life issues at 16 years old, I dropped out of high school in the 10th grade. That's right, didn't even finish high school.

One of my favorite quotes is from the movie Scarface: "Balls run this world" which translate to "having wit is all one needs to run the world, or their world".

An MBA doesn't mean squat in 2016, because there's always that guy (like me) that's a shark in the water and will get the results that take your client.

So you dont need college, but its good for making aquaintances and connections.

Ron Killian

"Marketing" can encompass so much. Such a broad field. Happiness could come with marketing the right product or service or in a certain field.

And happiness is so subjective. One person could hate a job or a profession where another loves it. It's what you make it. You always have the choice to be happy or sad, no matter what you do.

</drphil>

Equady

Hello David. Congratulations on finishing high school, it is now critical for your future to begin thinking seriously.

Don't beat yourself over whether to specialize in marketing or not. If it is for you, you should have known that already.

I can't read your mind (or do I?) and I can only speak from what I heard and seen. Marketing can be fun and can be well... Not fun.

Whatever you choose , Good luck...

My only "insight" on your dilemma is : Do not ever make your happiness dependent on external factors. Happiness is a choice and habit, and it can be nurtured and cultivated. Don't let anything convince you otherwise.

Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.