Keyword-rich URL vs. A branded site?

paulgl

I searched but I could not find exactest answers, so if there is one I missed, please point it out.

What is better in long term? Keyword-rich URL or A branded site?

Using keyword rich url does it matter?

ulterios

In the past a keyword domain gave you a bump in the rankings if the site was about that keyword. Today, that is a point of debate. I think that it might have some value, but if it does then it won't be much.

Many keyword domains that have sites build on them just scream "Cheap attempt to rank" so it can look bad in some potential visitors eyes.

Many people, myself included, prefer a brandable name for the domain name. It gives it more of a professional feel instead of a cheap feel.

Which sounds like a more legitimate domain to have a website on to you?

OnlineShoeSeller.com

SuperKicks.com

???

These are just examples of made up domains I just came up with (probably owned, I am sure) but you get the point.

A brand domain is something that can last and be respectable. A keyword screams "Please look here, I am begging".

Just my honest opinion of being a domain owner since last century. Hope this helps a bit. ;)

MrT

Keyword rich domains still do very well, especially in local searches.

I guess it would still be ideal for micro niche sites or lead gen sites, but if you're trying to grow an actual business maybe branded is the way to go.

Perhaps the better question to ask before deciding is, how do you plan to get traffic? How do you plan to grow the site? Me personally, I like to generate traffic from different places, whether it's directories, round ups, forums, other blogs, etc. A mix of social, referral traffic, email traffic from your list, and organic.

If you're doing a quick MFA style site, maybe keyword is the way to go since you would be counting on mostly search traffic. For a larger site with more of a broad focus or where you would benefit more by being a brand, then a branded domain is the answer.

It all depends on your focus!

Hawker

This is quite the grey around and one that is hotly debated!

Back in the early days of the Internet, you could rank a longtail EMD overnight very easily.

These days that ain't happening so easily.

Can still happen of course, maybe for a while, until G does shuffles the pack up.

Also as Ulterious has pointed out, nothing screams more than "I'm trying to game the SERPS" than a 100% EMD domain name.

However.. it's all swings and roundabouts. It depends on the domain in question.

Of course, you wouldn't want a business called "Buy The Best Desktop Gaming PC Online Free Delivery Ltd".

And a website domain called www.buythebestdesktopgamingpconlinefreedelivery.com just looks completely redonkulous!

But you might want a business that was called something like "Best Destop Gaming PC's Ltd" or "BDGPC Ltd"

And you could go with the abbreviation for your site/domain of something like bdgpc.com or bdgpsltd.com

But by doing so, you don't have the keywords in that domain that you want to rank for.

But that don't really matter at all these days because you can always put them in your title and on the site (content).

And it would rank for them.

Plus sometimes, something else to think about. Is that brands can get big, popular and become a brand name fairly quickly these days.

PrettyLittleThing.com or FrankBody.com are 2 such examples off the top of my head.

They built a site, they advertised it on TV and social media and bang, now they're both multi billion dollar businesses.

I've never seen a business called "Buy The Best Desktop Gaming PC Online Free Delivery Ltd". become a popular such brand or household name!

Have you? ;)

Newer threads
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies