Has anybody ever registered a .org or .net?

paulgl

Has anybody ever registered a .org or .net or can only specific people register them?

I don't know domain extensions affect your online business or not? any comments?

laceibanet

anyone can register them, there aren't any restrictions to these domain extensions. Most restrictions now are given to country specific extensions only

ulterios

There aren't any restrictions on these extensions. Anyone who's willing to pay the fees can register them. If you are using them to build a site, then the extension won't matter in most cases.

If you are looking to sell then these will have a lot lower resale value because of their extensions.

EpicGlobalWeb

If you want to build a content-only site and offer guest posting, a .edu or .org may be slightly more advantageous than a .com site in that case. .edu domains have been known to be more valuable for SEO purposes as backlink acquisition becomes important. However, as already stated, the .com extension will probably remain the most dominant for the other factors.

Ron Killian

My first domain was a .net, because the .com version was taken. I did build it up, think about 25k uniques a day, but I know for sure I was losing traffic to the .com version, at the very least the type in traffic. And how many surfers looking for my site just typed in com.

As already said, .com is the best way to go. It's what every one is use to. Some devices even have a .com key on them, keypad, ect. They are the only extensions I grab.

Not to say you can't build up others.

Miguelito203

.org and .net extensions are still top-level domains like a .com. Anyone can register them. The only reason people try to stay away from them is because a lot of people assume sites end in .com since it was like the first one everyone got used to using. If you're creating a mini site to promote a product for launch or something like that, it's not a big deal, but if you plan on building a larger niche site that you could eventually be known for and as part of your brand, I'd go for a .com one.

Joey

imnathanjames

.com is the best if you can get it.
I have registered .net and .org when i first started.
I have a domain that i bought of someone (long story about me getting swindled and only being left with a cheap domain)
Godaddy with their silly upsells persuaded me to buy all the other domain versions of said domain.
I never used them. I should have pointed them all to my main domain but alas shiny object syndrome took over and it went on the back burner.

I think these domain extensions have their place, but i will always check the .com is available first.

NomanProdhan

.com is the most popular extension but .net and .org also popular and top level. I think that domain extension always depend on your website type/niche. For example if you want to have a website for an organization then .org will be right choice for you.

SenseiSteve

I always opt for .com when purchasing domains and have yet to purchase a .net or .org domain. I have considered it at times, but it never worked out. Prospects associate businesses and firms with .com addresses by default.

hynds

Has anybody ever registered a .org or .net or can only specific people register them?

I don't know domain extensions affect your online business or not? any comments?
Yes I'm owning 3 letters .ORG. Buying these (.ORG, .NET) is very simple, as basic as buying .COM. You don't need to verify anything before buying. Many large registrars are selling it, you can choose one to buy such as Godaddy, Namecheap, Name,...

Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.