Choosing VPS specifications ?

Danlucy

I'm planning to sign up for a VPS account. On the VPS i'm planning to host for ~10 small websites, they are php-based websites with low traffic, ~500 visitors a day. Now to my question, what specifications do I need? Is 2 GB of RAM enough? How much bandwidth do I need? which control panel would you suggest?...etc.

dedica_manager

Cheaper OpenVZ - RAM 2 GB
Expensive KVM - RAM 1 GB is enough.
1 core will suffice.
If there is not enough, increase the tariff, but usually all depends on the amount of RAM.
Free panel - Vesta

laceibanet

for php based sites you could do with 1 GB minimum for low trafic sites like the ones you mention. Small amount of database queries is also recommended if you'll be using 1 GB or less. So for the sites you're talking about a OpenVZ vps with about 1 or 2 gb should be more than enough if you're not running any heavy plugins on there.

RDO Servers

Sadly, there is no way anyone can give you a intelegent answer to your question. It all depends on your site's optimization, CDN use, server configuration, etc.

Some suggested 1Gb of RAM. With 10 websites, that is essentially giving each of your site's 128Mb of RAM.... and that's not even considering OS and other software overhead.

Also remember that OpenVZ typically gives shared resources, which is better for the host as they can easily groosly oversell the server. XEN and KVM typically give dedicated resources.

It is hard to determine what would be sufficient without more details.

*How many users are online at any given time?

*What are you currently hosting on and is it having issues 'keeping up' in terms of resource consumption? (In other words, do you need to upgrade from a shared enviroment or just prefer to do so)?

*Who are you currently hosting with and what package (to get an idea of your current setup)?

In terms of control panel, what does your current web host use? Most likely cPanel so assuming it is, your best bet is probably to just stick with cPanel. You can do easier migrations between servers and it makes it easier to manage for newcomers. Finally, you are most likely to find a fully managed VPS provider offering cPanel than any other control panel.

mark-blockity

Danlucy,

With 500 visitors a day get cheapest one. Google Cloud Compute $7/m or Amazon very similar and they have free tier.

Regards,
Mark

tarunap

@Danlucy - You can try going with minimum - 2GB that would be sufficient with traffic, but though you can later upgrade with VPS at any instance your website requires, to start off you can with 2GB. Bandwidth - 1Gbps is prefered enough, 20TB would be more sufficient enough i guess.

Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.