Can I change my domain name?

Omer Farooq

Hi, I recently purchased a domain but now I want to change its name, how can I do it?

ulterios

Hi Omer,

Depending on when you purchased it then you might be able to get a refund. Some registrars do that but it's usually a matter of a couple days. You can talk to your registrar if it is a very recent purchase and ask if they do that. Some do, some don't, it depends on the registrar.

If it's past that time or the registrar that you are using doesn't give refunds then you'll just have to register and pay for a new one that you want. After you get the new one then you can have your host update your hosting account (if the one you don't want is the main domain) with your new domain. If the one you no longer want to use isn't the primary domain on your hosting account, then you just need to add the new domain to your hosting account and remove the one you don't want (add-on domains).

samimnoorzaitgc

As ulterios said above,
It depends on what registrar you use. If it's namecheap (for example) you have 3 days to remove it and get your refund, then register a new one. Do they have a livechat? If so, go ask them some info about this.

laceibanet

If you've already registered it, it can be a bit difficult to change the name. Most places give you a few days but if it's past their refund period for domains then you would have to register a new one. Speak to your registrar to know the options you have available

Hawker

Why did you register it in the first place then? lol

meetdilip

Only way to get a new domain name is to register a new domain name. As mentioned above, you may or may not get a refund for your old domain name.

SenseiSteve

Hi, I recently purchased a domain but now I want to change its name, how can I do it?
You can't actually change the domain name. It is what it is. You can purchase a new domain name and use that for your hosting. If it was a mistake during purchase and I've seen those, some registrars will allow you to cancel the mistake - but only within their timeframe.

Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads