How to solve VPS overload problem?

josh61

I am hosting my site with a VPS 1GB of RAM, cache enabled and has 5000 posts and only have 6000 pageviews/day, however I used to got alet about CPU or RAm usage, they are often overload. Is it my website's problem or VPS' problem? How to solve?

RDO Servers

Well, there are 2 possibilities.

A) Your website is using more resources then it should.
B) Your VPS does not have as many resources as your website needs.

The easy solution is to just upgrade your VPS to add more cores/RAM.

The smart solution is to first try optimising your website to see if you can decrease your resource usage. Remove any un-needed plugins, use a CDN, optimised your databases, etc, etc.

With that said, 1GB of RAM is pretty low for a site receiving 6,000/pgae views/day.

SenseiSteve

Do you have cPanel installed on your VPS? If so, you really need to have at least 2GB of RAM.

Doyosi

If you have 1gb ram vps dont use any panel, control your vps with ssh.
I gain up to 10-15K hits at 512mb vds on digitalocean with %5-10 cpu-ram usage, ram and cpu usage is depending lots of variations...
You need to configure it good for best performance.

Purres

Purres
You need a web control panel (cpane, directadmin, webmin, zpanel) to use hosting features like email server, dns setting, file manager...control vps via ssh is not convenient when you have more websites to manage.

Doyosi

Wrong. You don't need to use them.
Control panel is like an api system that allow you to configure your root files. If you know how to config them you don't need any control panel.
You can use email server without any panel.
You have sftp for managing files.
You can edit zone files for dns settings.

You can create auto configrator for console and just typing your domain your site is ready for usage etc.

mrjock

What sort of website is it you have? Are you running wordpress? If so do you use a cache plugin and/or a CDN?

Mike_Brown

How much do you pay for your VPS and what is your budget?

If you're using cPanel it is likely you just need to allocate more RAM to the VPS. However you can not rule out the VPS node (The host machine) being over-sold. Several providers will just pile VPS after VPS onto a server without monitoring the resource usage. Check your VPS resource usage by using commands such as uptime, top and iotop (Assuming it is a Linux based VPS). If you notice a high load average, check the 'wa' section on top. If this is high, it would indicate the disk throughput usage is the problem. If this is the case, monitor the iotop command to see if it matches up with the high load average of the VPS. If it does not, the VPS provider may be the problem.

Last edited:
Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies