When should I change shared hosting?

treybail

Hello,

Currently I am using a shared hosting plan for my blogs, but gradually number of visitors on my blogs are increasing as days pass on. So should I go for VPS hosting or I can upgrade my shared hosting plan? Please share your suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Developer

This same question has been asked time and time again and the answer remains the same.

If you're receiving traffic which matches that of Google or MS, you should definitely upgrade sooner rather than later, however, most shared hosting accounts can handle almost anything you can throw at them. Those that are any good anyways...

1,000 or even 100,000 visitors per day is not reason enough to pay more than you need to.

Unless you're seeing traffic the likes of Google or MS or your site is "heavy" (resource intense), shared hosting is usually the best (and cheapest) way to go...

Doyosi

First of all, don't use vps. Use vds for better performance.

2. If you don't know anything about servers, you need to learn a lot of things. Optimize, resource control, console applications etc.
3. If you want to use control panel like plesk, cpanel you need to pay for them monthly or annually. (Cpanel | Plesk )
4. Good hosting plans start at 4-5$, vps / vds plans start 15-20$ for monthly payment.

Choose yours :)

RDO Servers

Hello,

Currently I am using a shared hosting plan for my blogs, but gradually number of visitors on my blogs are increasing as days pass on. So should I go for VPS hosting or I can upgrade my shared hosting plan? Please share your suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
The biggest question is, are you having problems having your site's on shared hosting? If so, upgrade. If not, then the old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fixe it" applies.

You can get better performance from a VPS. However, VPS's are more expensive and harder to manage.VPS's are great if you need them, but don't move to a VPS just because someone tells you they are 'better'

First of all, don't use vps. Use vds for better performance. [URLnf="http://www.vpshosting.com/2011/10/vps-vds-difference/"]What is difference? [/URLnf]
2. If you don't know anything about servers, you need to learn a lot of things. Optimize, resource control, console applications etc.
3. If you want to use control panel like plesk, cpanel you need to pay for them monthly or annually. ([URLnf="http://cpanel.com/pricing/"]Cpanel[/URLnf] | [URLnf="https://www.plesk.com/plans-pricing/"]Plesk[/URLnf] )
4. Good hosting plans start at 4-5$, vps / vds plans start 15-20$ for monthly payment.

I have several problems with your description of VPS vs VDS.

Both are Virtual Private Servers (VPS). You say that a VPS shares all the resources, but your VDS has all dedicated resources except the hypervisor software.

A) So your VDS with all dedicated resources, does it provide dedicated IO, IOPS & network uplink? I doubt it, as that is not possible unless you have a separate disk array and NIC for each VPS.

B) When you say VPS's have all shared resources, your actually referring to a OpenVZ VPS which uses shared CPU & ram. A VPS virtualized with KVM or XEN, (although technically possible, generally) does not share resources, and will assign dedicated CPU cores and RAM to each VPS.

In actuality a VPS and a VDS is the same thing.

Please do not try to try to persuade someone to use one product vs a different product using misleading info, just to promote a product you offer.

Doyosi

First of all I am not owner of vpshosting.com just linked article. I dont care he buy vps or vds. Dont worry you can still sell him smthng..

You said vps is green apple, vds is red apple but they are same. No. They are not same.
You are a provider and how can you say that... Ridiculous.

If your dedicated has 32gb ram, you could have 50+ 4 gb vps but you can't have up to 8 vds. So if a provider is honest ok maybe no problem for performance, but how will you know that?

Why were they called with different names? For adding literature new words?

I am not selling anything, i don't have any hostig firm etc. If you knew a bit about php & java programming and kernels you can also know why vds is better.
You're not accepting this b/c you're selling only vps, sorry vds rocks... :)

bought a dedicated, buy 32 ips btw 97-127 and yes you are really a big provider...

RDO Servers

You said vps is green apple, vds is red apple but they are same. No. They are not same.
You are a provider and how can you say that... Ridiculous.

If your dedicated has 32gb ram, you could have 50+ 4 gb vps but you can't have up to 8 vds. So if a provider is honest ok maybe no problem for performance, but how will you know that?
Actually, no. On a server with 32Gb RAM, we would only be able to host 8 VPS's. That is because we use XEN Virtualization which does give dedicated resources.
Reference: [URLnofo]https://www.solvps.com/blog/xen-vs-openvz-comparison-performance/[/URLnofo]

This is what you are referring to as a VDS, but actually, it is a VPS.
When you think of as a VPS, is a VPS which uses OpenVZ. OpenVZ, does not give dedicated resources.

Why were they called with different names? For adding literature new words?
Pretty much, yes. Once upon a time, there was a difference. Today, there is none. When VPS's were first becoming readily available, they primarily used OpenVZ style virtualization which gave shared resources. That is why people though a VDS would be better.
In actuality, what some people refer to as a VDS is a VPS with dedicated resources.
A KVM VPS is a VPS with dedicated resources.
A XEN VPS is a VPS with dedicated resources.

The difference is in the virtualization platform used.
[URLnofo]http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=616157[/URLnofo]
[URLnofo]http://www.inmotionhosting.com/support/community-support/server-usage/vps-vs-virtual-dedicated-server[/URLnofo]

If you read sources that say a VPS and a VDS are different, they either do not understand how VPS's are provisioned, or they are working without outdated data.

Now, for the sake of arguing, XEN PV can be hacked to use shared resurces, but this is not by design, rather it is the result of the host essentially hacking the kernal to do something it is not designed to do.

Purres

This same question has been asked time and time again and the answer remains the same.

If you're receiving traffic which matches that of Google or MS, you should definitely upgrade sooner rather than later, however, most shared hosting accounts can handle almost anything you can throw at them. Those that are any good anyways...

1,000 or even 100,000 visitors per day is not reason enough to pay more than you need to.

Unless you're seeing traffic the likes of Google or MS or your site is "heavy" (resource intense), shared hosting is usually the best (and cheapest) way to go...
Almost cases come from traffic problem and it forces users have to change their shared hosting to VPS or better packages

Some changed to VPS or dedicated servers by they need a better resource and performance.

First of all, don't use vps. Use vds for better performance.

3. If you want to use control panel like plesk, cpanel you need to pay for them monthly or annually. (Cpanel | Plesk )

What is VDS? I have not ever used this before.

I have not seen any vds offers

mrjock

When you feel that your starting to gain a good amount of traffic I would consider upgrading.

Say one day a page on your websites gets really popular then you have a chance off obtaining new readership, but your shared hosting plan is suspended due to high usage. You lose those possible new readers.

Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.