I get ranking for a term I DO NOT want. What should I do?

Web Marketing Tool

I get half a dozen or more clicks every day from Google for the following term that Google ranks me #2 for:
the # symbol specifies that the selector is

This term has absolutely no use for me. The page a person sees when visiting my site may have little use to the person searching for it (but I did update the page trying to make it more useful). In my sitemap I have said that this page (my Q&A pages) have a low priority of 2.

Is having this traffic going to negatively affect my rankings?
Like will Google think my bounce rate is high because people visit my link and keep searching and then cause my other keywords I really want to get a lower ranking?
If so, should I take an effort to have these pages removed from being indexed?

I have several other similar keywords that are equally useless to me that I get similar rankings for.

datamaya

If I'm not mistaken, you can block that specific page using robots.txt. This will tell the Googlebot not to index the page.

Web Marketing Tool

Web Marketing Tool
Yes, I understand that part. My question isn't how, but should I remove the page from being listed through my robots.txt file. If the traffic isn't hurting me I'll leave it, as maybe I can get another term that I want from that page. But if it is hurting me then I will remove it.

datamaya

datamaya
If the question is "should or should not", in my opinion is NO, it should not.

The worst possible scenario is the visitors will cause a lot of bounce rates, and according to Matt Cutts bounce rate is not ranking factor (even though some experiments tell the otherwise). If you're afraid of bounce rate negative effects on your website SEO, my suggestion is to add an article about that topic, and link to that article from the page your visitors land.

Sorry for my bad English, I hope you get the point :D

Web Marketing Tool

No problem about the English. Thanks for the detailed answer as it was what I was looking for. If Matt says bounce rate isn't a factor then it is good enough for me. I prefer not to remove the page from Google anyways and put a link helping the people find what they are looking for like you suggested.

Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.