Learning web design from online courses or videos?

roggy

I am wanting to purchase some online tutorial courses about web design and programming from websites as udemy or lynda to increase my web design skills, but someone suggested me learn from Youtue videos, I tried this way but seem they are separated videos and hard to learn. Does anyone have any experience on this, please share me? thanks

ulterios

You can probably find most things that you would want to learn on YouTube, the problem is that you have to look for a specific thing that you are wanting to learn most of the time.

There isn't a "Start to Finish/All-in-One" type learning course that I have found that will teach you everything for one channel/user. You have to look for something in particular and search for it.

If you want a complete all-in-one teaching course from one source, then you will likely have to go the paid route.

Going the free YouTube route, I would just look up things in particular that you are wanting to learn as you need them. You can also just go through and watch a lot of videos on YouTube and take notes.

WebmasterPhil

You might have to go to an online college that offer courses in Web Design. The best part about this is that you get feedback and questions answered by a college professor. Lynda and Udemy are excellent for self-training. You can also hire an online tutor. If you're in the USA, there's thumbtack.com, where you might be able to hire a freelancer who can tutor you at your local library.

Web Marketing Tool

Most of what I've learned regarding coding has been on my own. I would very strong say for myself personally videos for learning code DOES NOT work. Now for theory of design, PhotoShop, etc, those tutorials could be very good. But for anything where there is code, whether html, javascript, etc, videos just don't work. Everyone has their own personal learning style, but for me videos and code don't mix.

For me personally the tutorials at w3schools.com are the best but for other friends who are more design oriented (I'm more code) they found codeacademy.com more useful.

Also, this forum is a great place to also use as a learning tool. You can search for questions you have to see if it exists and if not make a post and you have a pretty good chance someone will help you.

Mike001

I have traveled the YouTube road many times. Some of the material is good but a lot of it is disjointed and you get very little support.

I have been a member of Lynda and Total Training for many years the problem that I found with most of those is that there is no support and if you get stuck, your stuck. A lot of the courses are out of data also. They are very seldom updated. Getting an answer from any of the instructors that teach those courses is like pulling teeth. They also have an issue with the exercise files that are included most of the files are incomplete or request that you purchase the book they wrote with the course to get the exercise materials.

Udemy is not bad, but again the support leaves a lot to be desired and they can be quite expensive. Although they have had a price revamp in the last 30 days which makes the pricing a little better. The biggest problem with Udemy is the material. Everything is streamed from there site and with the traffic they have there can be problems watching the videos with delays and connecting to the servers. That has been a tremendous issue the last year or two. I used to review courses for them and a large group of their instructors but stopped because of the frustration. They have wanted me to include my courses their for years but because of the access I have not.

Let me know if I can help.

roggy

You can probably find most things that you would want to learn on YouTube, the problem is that you have to look for a specific thing that you are wanting to learn most of the time.

There isn't a "Start to Finish/All-in-One" type learning course that I have found that will teach you everything for one channel/user. You have to look for something in particular and search for it.

If you want a complete all-in-one teaching course from one source, then you will likely have to go the paid route.

Going the free YouTube route, I would just look up things in particular that you are wanting to learn as you need them. You can also just go through and watch a lot of videos on YouTube and take notes.
Thanks you for fast replies, I found more good and free videos from youtube but to be honest, I just are felling hard to learn because they taught without detailed steps or chapters like I learned from courses

You might have to go to an online college that offer courses in Web Design. The best part about this is that you get feedback and questions answered by a college professor. Lynda and Udemy are excellent for self-training. You can also hire an online tutor. If you're in the USA, there's thumbtack.com, where you might be able to hire a freelancer who can tutor you at your local library.
This is a good way to try, I have not ever thought about this. How an online tutor will teach me? how much can I pay for them? hours or days?

Most of what I've learned regarding coding has been on my own. I would very strong say for myself personally videos for learning code DOES NOT work. Now for theory of design, PhotoShop, etc, those tutorials could be very good. But for anything where there is code, whether html, javascript, etc, videos just don't work. Everyone has their own personal learning style, but for me videos and code don't mix.

For me personally the tutorials at w3schools.com are the best but for other friends who are more design oriented (I'm more code) they found codeacademy.com more useful.

Also, this forum is a great place to also use as a learning tool. You can search for questions you have to see if it exists and if not make a post and you have a pretty good chance someone will help you.
Why codes are working when you learned from videos? are you suggest me learn from an ebook?

I have traveled the YouTube road many times. Some of the material is good but a lot of it is disjointed and you get very little support.

I have been a member of Lynda and Total Training for many years the problem that I found with most of those is that there is no support and if you get stuck, your stuck. A lot of the courses are out of data also. They are very seldom updated. Getting an answer from any of the instructors that teach those courses is like pulling teeth. They also have an issue with the exercise files that are included most of the files are incomplete or request that you purchase the book they wrote with the course to get the exercise materials.

Udemy is not bad, but again the support leaves a lot to be desired and they can be quite expensive. Although they have had a price revamp in the last 30 days which makes the pricing a little better. The biggest problem with Udemy is the material. Everything is streamed from there site and with the traffic they have there can be problems watching the videos with delays and connecting to the servers. That has been a tremendous issue the last year or two. I used to review courses for them and a large group of their instructors but stopped because of the frustration. They have wanted me to include my courses their for years but because of the access I have not.

Let me know if I can help.
I agree with you about no support or exercise files are not incomplete.

As I am viewing your signature, are you providing online video training? do you provide courses that teach to build a perfect website that suit to all people from novice to advanced users?

Mike001

roggy,

I do teach a a beginner level and many of my courses, especially the Bootstrap course has Chapter Challenges where after you go through the lesson for that chapter I give you a challenge to complete a sample website or page.

Once you understand the challenge and I include not only the videos but also the presentations and printouts you can tackle it on your own and then watch the videos with the explanations and examples on how I completed it.

My complete HTML course is over 26 hours, includes a 7 hour CSS Primer and at the end of the training we develop a 4 page website together through the videos. Again this is a step-by-step course that starts you out from nothing and builds on each chapter. This is very similar to a course I taught at a University level to beginning web developers.

If you have any questions just let me know. If you want to get a feel for how the videos work, you can watch over 100 of them on the website for free, I support questions on those also. I also add to those videos quite frequently as I build on the previous videos.

The biggest difference with the online free videos is that you have to be online to watch them, they do not include exercise files, but most if not all you can easily follow along with them and complete the exercises and they do not include the presentations that I use to conduct the training. But most of those presentations are rather short and to the point.

Plus I am always available through email if you have questions or need assistance, that also includes the free videos. I support all my students. I have been doing this in one form or another for over 15 years. My original focus was Macromedia Flash, which became Adobe Flash. But Flash. much to my disappointment is going by the wayside with all the changes in HTML. But overall that is probably a good thing.

I hope this helps.

Reactions: roggy

roggy

roggy
As my friend recommended, it is better for me to learn programming fast if I learn from courses that include exercise files and learn to do real projects? like building a complete website? a shopping cart? or bigger is a web system with full features?

Web Marketing Tool

Why codes are working when you learned from videos? are you suggest me learn from an ebook?
Yes, an eBook would be good. Code is more about syntax, rules and theories, which are much easier to read than to hear someone talk about it. Plus then it's easier to go back for reference and compare things. So because of this I find written material much easier. Personally, I would go through tutorials on specific things, and then also use a good reference with everything easy to find like w3schools.

As my friend recommended, it is better for me to learn programming fast if I learn from courses that include exercise files and learn to do real projects? like building a complete website? a shopping cart? or bigger is a web system with full features?
Yes, exactly. I think that is a great idea. I wouldn't start directly with a big project, but do some smaller projects. Like if you have a big project in mind, think about some pieces of it that are smaller, easier, and that aren't dependent on other stuff, and start with that.

I think for sure getting hands on training is the best approach for learning almost anything.

Mike001

Roggy,

Sounds like you are getting a handle on how to approach this. The best approach is the approach that is best for you, and only you really know how you learn best.

Let me know if there is anything I can help you with.

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views