What is your experience with .XYZ Domain

mrjock

Hi,

I just purchased a .xyz domain and would like to know everyones experience with this domain.

How well did it rank? Did customers trust your domain? Did you transfer from a .com or other generic TLD?

ulterios

It won't matter in most cases, what the extension is as far as ranking for a website. Geo and Keyword extensions might have a little impact but since .xyz is generic then it won't matter.

I would never choose a .xyz over one of the big boys, but if it was the only extension available and there was no other options then I might.

One thing to consider when using an extension that is not one of the ones most people are used to is loosing a part of traffic to the .com version of the same domain. Many people still don't know that .xyz is even a real extension. Because it's fairly new and isn't what people are used to.

If you are only going to be having people follow links and search results, then it shouldn't matter. If you are going to be having any word of mouth referring going on then you might consider one of the norm's. As an example, if you had an online site that sold shoes and the name was "GreatShoes.xyz", then you'll loose some potential customers when someone tells someone else about the site. Many people will go and type in "GreatShoes.com", "GreatShoesXYZ.com" or something along those lines.

Those in the domain and related fields will always know the difference (mostly) but to the average Joe, many won't know .xyz is real.

If you are looking to buy any .xyz domains to sell, I would go another route. These don't get good prices unless you happen to have an ultra-premium name or something that someone just has to have. Even then, the prices when compared to the usual extensions is extremely lower.

laceibanet

like ulterios mentioned the domain extension isn't that important for rankings. It's more about getting a catchy name really. The .com or .org are the most used as they were some of the first out there so theyve gotten a reputation. But getting a different extension won't affect you as much as you think.

Just check out google's new expansion with abc.xyz it's more of a marketing thing, get a catchy name and people will see your site

learn2do

I've already seen many domains having XYZ extension stand on first page of SERPs. Especially on product launch jacking campaigns, when some guy only need short-term domains. So Search Engine doesn't mind if your domain has XYZ extension, but I really think visitors do. XYZ Domain look so unreliable, people may ask: "is it an advertising page?, unsafe?, adult site?".

Last edited:

Hawker

xyz popped up out of nowhere when everyone was using .club and its been quite a popular one since. It probably helped when Google moved its Alphabet Inc to abc.xyz which may have added a little authority to it and in some cases it can be quite useful example for companies that are familiar or related to anything the xyz of everything somehow. And unlike other tld's there is something more miscellaneous about it than other tld's like .club or .today or .fyi? Personally I don't find them any easier or harder to rank than a .com and they can still be 1st page top authority sites like any other tld can with the right angle and SEO. :)

Newer threads
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.