How much RAM is required for 3k daily visitors?

arindamb

Hello,

How much RAM is required for hosting a website which have a 3000 visitors per day.

I am consider a VPS with these features
RAM: 3GB
Bandwidth: 3000GB
Website type: PHP based sites

Average visitor: 56
Maximum Visitor at a time: 150 when promoting on social networks (FB, Twitter, Google+) or Google ads

Please share your recommendations.

Thanks

Mike001

Arin,

I will try to respond to your question but based on the information that you provided a there are a lot of variables.

Based on the configuration that you have stated above, those configurations would handle those visitor numbers without many issues, but there is a caveat to that statement.

What are the users doing on the site. What I mean by that is. If the visitors are viewing static content, they have very little interaction with the server once the page has been assembled. That even includes dynamic content once the page is read from the database, database access to a MySQL database through PHP is extremely fast depending upon what it is reading.

If you have a lot of dynamic links, images, dynamic page builds based on selections, videos that are streamed from your site, all of this will impact performance of the page builds from the server.

Another thing that you have to consider is how well are the pages structured. If the pages are not structured well, following "Best Practices" and rendering engine protocols, that can also impact performance.

What you really want to do is have a site survey conducted. Although with that number of users, which by the way, is really not that much, you really may not need to consider that yet.

If the site is configured well, the server is load balanced, and you have structured the site well, you really should not have an issue.

Mike001

Arin,

Each rendering engine has their own protocols as to how they render an HTML page.

There are currently the big four which make up the majority of the browsers.

The web rendering engines are:

Trident - Microsoft - AOL Explorer
Gecko - Firefox and Netscape (Netscape is really not used much anymore, out it is still out there)
WebKit - Safari and Chrome
Presto - Opera

One engine that is moving up quickly is the KHTML engine that is in use by Konqueror. It is a really good engine and quite fast. It is very compliant with many of the new standards and a couple of the major browser developers are considering moving to that engine as it has very good support for multiple bus thread access and the new video formats.

Those are the most popular browsers out there. Now most of the browser rendering engines have become pretty compliant with the new HTML5 standards and support most of the CSS3 properties that have been added. There are still a few exceptions. Thank you Microsoft, they have done some interesting things with their protocols to try and make their format a little more difficult to work with. It is getting better with the new Browser Edge, but it will take some time to get the IE users off that platform and as long as that platform is out there, we will always have fallback challenges. But I digress.

The rendering engines take the structure of your HTML page and actually build the page based on how you have structured the scripting language. These are the protocols that I am taking about. How those engines interpret what you have written and display the page.

As you might imagine some work better than others for speed and compliance. Think of the protocols as a language translator. They take your script code, style code, javascript libraries, and php code and they determine how the page should be constructed from that code. Like everything else in development, some do it better and faster than others. That is why in some browsers your code works beautifully, in others you may have to move code around to get it to load correctly. JavaScript to the end of files, PHP moved to the top most lines, etc.

This may have been a little deeper than you wanted to go but I hope I answered your question.

There is a lot more to good web development than slapping together a few lines of script and throwing in a CSS file. Many of us take what we do very seriously and try to find the best ways to implement a site, keeping all of this in mind.

That is one of the reasons many of us will not use out of the box CMS systems. They are good systems, but because they are written to support all these different browsers / slash rendering engines they include a lot of code that many of our sites just do not need based on what we are doing. Yet all that code is still there and can be a real pain to try and clean up to increase speed at the site.

I hope this helps.

laceibanet

really depends on how your website is structured. If you're using lots of database queries, hosting video, the amount of plugins you use, if any. Knowing what your website uses is really important as a site with only text on it can handle much more visitors than one with dynamic pictures and video and other more resource heavy options.

X9Host

It totally depend upon what kind of script you are going to host on that VPS.
How that script utilize the resource of your server

Reactions: arindamb

Danlucy

Danlucy
Do you have any recommendations for scripts as must have on each VPS?

X9Host

X9Host
Well all of us know that
Apache, MySQL, Dovecot, Exim etc are necessary softwares for a server.
You should install CSF (Configserver security firewall) CXS (Configserver Xploit Scanner) to ensure the security of server.

Well, in your case i recommend you to use centos-webpanel.
It is awesome hosting panel and has all the features to run a hosting business.
If you need any kind of help in installing and configuring centos-webpanel you can come into PM section.

Luxin Host

You really need to first be thinking about the below questions.
What do your visitors do on your website? (e.g. read and move on, brows through pages)
how heavy your website is?
Will you be using cache? (you should be since it improves load time massively. using cache means you need more RAM)

There are much more but I believe these are the basics which you need to think about or provide information so we can help you better :)

Hope my post helped

arindamb

It totally depend upon what kind of script you are going to host on that VPS.
How that script utilize the resource of your server
It's just wordpress sites.

I think 8 GB RAM is good for You.
8GB RAM is so high and I will pay more for this amount.

Not sure why you recommend 8GB RAM.

You really need to first be thinking about the below questions.
What do your visitors do on your website? (e.g. read and move on, brows through pages)
how heavy your website is?
Will you be using cache? (you should be since it improves load time massively. using cache means you need more RAM)

There are much more but I believe these are the basics which you need to think about or provide information so we can help you better :)

Hope my post helped
As mentioned, they are WP sites with less traffic but I want to install some hosting panels which can consume more RAM and server resource.

What do you currently use as resources? That would be the best information to start with.
I think 3GB of RAM is good to install some hosting panel and the rest is for websites to use.

serverwala

Its depend on your website structure and what type of service you provided to visitor. Normally, 4 GB Ram is sufficient on 3k visitor per day.

betterseo

its sucks that measly 8gigs is so pricey from hosting companies i pay like $60 for 4 gigs which is becoming 2 little for my VPS.

arindamb

I would say go for 4GB so you can use caching systems which can noticeably increase your load time.
You should be fine with the bandwidth if they are low traffic.
Thanks for your advice, I picked a VPS 4GB from the forum and using it till now.

Its depend on your website structure and what type of service you provided to visitor. Normally, 4 GB Ram is sufficient on 3k visitor per day.
Really, do I need to optimize the VPS to run with that amount?
I thought a VPS can accommodate around 1500 visitors per day.

its sucks that measly 8gigs is so pricey from hosting companies i pay like $60 for 4 gigs which is becoming 2 little for my VPS.
If you are smart in choosing VPS hosting companies, you can choose 4Gb of RAM with pricing around $40 /month. But it depends on you if you buy extra services like WHM/cPanel or DDOS protections...etc.

There are some VPS providers that offering good prices and features on this forum and I could pick one from there.

betterseo

the problem is i have 300+ wordpress websites on there and moving to another hose will be a PITA.

Marc van Leeuwen

Premium Member
Marc van Leeuwen
It is not a problem if you use a backup tool as Rsync or R1Soft.
Also, if you use a CDN, same hosting control panel and all your 300+ WordPress is staying at a VPS then it is more easier to move all to a new VPS in a day.

HostLittle

Hello,

How much RAM is required for hosting a website which have a 3000 visitors per day.

Maximum Visitor at a time: 150 when promoting on social networks (FB, Twitter, Google+) or Google ads

Thanks
3GB of RAM should be enough to run everything with that many users. But running cPanel or an alternative is going to take up at least 1GB RAM right away.

postcd

Usually RAM is mostly used by MySQL (in case you value your HDD cycles and configure MySQL to cache in RAM as much as possible) and it depends on total size of all MySQL databases. Your RAM should be roughly 3 times larger than your total MySQL databases size.

Regarding apache, php RAM usage, cPanel with default PHP handler SuPHP (unsure if it is still default) i think will eat alot of RAM, so you may need really 3GB or maybe even more. But if you use some light webserver like Nginx with PHP fast cgi i think you may be OK with half the RAM needed by Apache webserver? I am just guessing and rough estimating.

Hikarihost

Hello,

Thanks
Its depend on your website and your vps, if you have a unlimited bandwidth the normally is 4 or 6 GB RAM is sufficient on 3k visitor per day

Reactions: arindamb

arindamb

arindamb
I think unlimited bandwidth could not solve 3k visitors per day, if that is right then web hosting providers will offer bandwidth as one of most important features of their web host plan.

HostaPolis

I would say about 4GB VPS. You would have a bit of wiggle room without anything being slowed down. 3GB would be tight in my opinion.

Soulwatcher

I all depends on your plugins, my blog/forum gets around 40 visitors a day. But I keep on hitting the cpu limit daily. And that's with a shared hosting plan with 1gb of ram. And you're going to try and push 3k wordpress visitors through 3gb of ram.

IDK how mission critical your websites are, if they are mission critical I would start out at 8GB and monitor how things are going. Because keep in mind that with a VPS the more ram you buy, the more CPU's you get. And you might not have enough CPU if you use a lot amount of ram.

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
SIG
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.