Change of primary domain

Omer Farooq

Hi,

I want to remove my primary domain from the hosting and want to replace it with another domain name. Anyone please tell me how I can do it step by step without affecting my addon domains?

Mike001

Depending upon your hosting company there is normally a process for doing what you are asking.

What you want to do first before you make any changes be certain to perform a full backup of your site. This is critical in the event that something goes awry while you are doing the transfers.

I have looked at a few of the bigger hosting providers and most have a tool in the cPanel for doing this and list of instructions that need to be followed for getting it done correctly.

All of them agreed one thing as I was reading through some of the plans. DO NOT change any of the folder structures of the sub-domains while this is in process. This must have something to do with the public access file that they store pointing to those sub-domains, if I had to guess, that is merely a guess though.

I would check with your hosting provider. My guess is, based on what I have been reading, this is not that uncommon, although I must admit, with supporting over 100 sites, I have never done it, or had a customer ask me to do it.

I hope this helps.

hynds

Hi,

I want to remove my primary domain from the hosting and want to replace it with another domain name. Anyone please tell me how I can do it step by step without affecting my addon domains?
I think there're 2 cases in this. One is you already had your own domain at other place and you've just pointed it to your hosting account. In this way, it's very easy to do, no problem.

Other is, your domain comes with when you buy hosting at the same time. This case I've never meet before but I think you can do by contact directly with your hosting provider and ask them to do. Or first you transfer the domain to another domain provider, point it to another place and then choose your new domain pointing to the hosting.
I think so and hope this helps :)

BillEssley

WMS Marketplace Seller
Hi,

Are you using a VPS or a shared hosting?

If its a shared then you can need contact your hosting provider so they will change it for you

If its an unmanaged VPS, you can need to configurate somethings on your hosting server.

Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.