Does domain age really matter for SEO?

Purres

I want to buy a new domain and starting SEO for it but I heard that domains with good history ( expired domains ) are easy to do SEO than new domains, it this exact? does any confirm me? thanks

WebmasterPhil

The only ones that truly knows the answer are Google and Bing. The problem with a new domain is that well it's not established so it's not trustworthy yet. In the old days, Google valued PageRank and people were willing to buy expired domain names because of that. If you care more about branding, it's a good idea to buy a new domain with a catchy brandable name. Social signals play a more important role these days for SEO, and you can get social signal backlinking yourself to help boost your domain.

hynds

It's not really exact, because it's depend on many factors of the domain beside the age. Some factors you should check before buy such as: check Sanbox, penalty, index, history, domain keyword, DA, domain extension,...and some other things related to your brand or your business.

learn2do

Yes, old domain, without any penalties is better for SEO. The good history of the website will make it become more reliable and you can save times doing SEO. Anyway, the effect is not a big deal. If you can afford to buy an old domain, do it. If not, focusing on other SEO activities is quite enough to rank up your site.

sumit_sharma

Yes obviously...Domain age matters in SEO. Generally Google won't give you rank easily when the domain is new until it attains the authoritywhich generally takes upto 6 months.

sweetsdailyupdates

Yes It is very true that Domain age really matters in SEO. If you purchase new domain so it will take some time to create trust. And also take some time as well to rank in google for specific keyword.

But if you purchase old domain which has great history and not penalized by google so it will reduce some time to get ranking and you can also get some benefits as well in ranking.

markbatham

Yes Domain age really matters in SEO, but sometimes it turns bad results too. Think if the domain you are going to but have had penalty by search engine earlier, then?
So before going to buy it, please do in-depth analysis of it.

vaughn

Domain age is one of the important factor in SEO services to rank in Search Engine. Domain age is calucates, from when it registered in any one of the site. The site wil get good rank if it is registered long back. The following are the 2 important factors to be noted:
1. A well established site have old domain name, means it is well established site.
2. Spammers register for domain and drops quickly, so search engines calculetes new domain names as spam sites.

SEOPub

Yes obviously...Domain age matters in SEO. Generally Google won't give you rank easily when the domain is new until it attains the authoritywhich generally takes upto 6 months.
Yes It is very true that Domain age really matters in SEO. If you purchase new domain so it will take some time to create trust. And also take some time as well to rank in google for specific keyword.

But if you purchase old domain which has great history and not penalized by google so it will reduce some time to get ranking and you can also get some benefits as well in ranking.
Yes Domain age really matters in SEO, but sometimes it turns bad results too. Think if the domain you are going to but have had penalty by search engine earlier, then?
Domain age is one of the important factor in SEO services to rank in Search Engine. Domain age is calucates, from when it registered in any one of the site. The site wil get good rank if it is registered long back. The following are the 2 important factors to be noted:
1. A well established site have old domain name, means it is well established site.
2. Spammers register for domain and drops quickly, so search engines calculetes new domain names as spam sites.

What a bunch of ignorant replies.

If domain age is a ranking factor, it is a very, very minimal one at best. What is more likely a significant factor is the age of the links pointing to the domain. A 10 year-old domain with zero links is basically equal to a brand new domain.

I swear most of the people posting in this forum have never ranked a page for anything the least bit competitive.

StasVa

StasVa
Domain age really matters. I will say website on the old domain will get there's page rank much quicker.
On the other hand, there may be a lot of bad factors. Like bad history, bad backlink profile, a lot of defunct (404) pages in index.

SEOPub

SEOPub

That is total nonsense.

Buy an old domain with zero backlinks and let us know how that works out for you.

It is the links that matter, not the age of the domain.

StasVa

StasVa
I didnt told you thats old domain is enough to get the hot places in the ranking. I said, it's really matter. I had a lot of cases, to improve that theory.
If you need some sence...

How do you think satellites sites, gaskets and doorway pages more often are maked on the old domain or on the new? That's why black SEOs pre-register (from along time till will act) domains that will be used for satellite networks.

-Domain Age

-Domain History (is important in promoting. It is important what previously was on the domain. For example, if it was not a similar site with your theme, or not at all of the subjects, they may have difficulty, misslinks and others)

-Domain Keyword (as we know, Google introduced the EMD algorithm that filters domains. If the domain of 1-2 keywords that it is normal if more than 4, then Google may impose sanctions it.)

-History of domain sanctions

All that stuff really matters.

StasVa

StasVa
Well, if you will listen what Matt Cutts told about the topic.

You will notice Маtt does not say that domain age doesnt matter.
With good 12 years old domain, you will rank your brand quicker. There can be a thousands of reasons, why and how Google value such controversial factors, but for sure he does.

StasVa

StasVa
A few years ago, in that way Google was telling about backlinks profile, and continued to maintain a corporate template answers, like "you need to focus on content, and people will find your website". The fact is, that he recognizes that such factor exists and Google considers this data.

And social signals - absolutely are a ranking factor, and one of the most unambiguous.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofhwPC-5Ub4

Google even say, that they kinda try to figure out a little more about the reputation of an author or a creator on Twitter or Facebook

SEOPub

SEOPub
Again, there is zero evidence that domain age plays a significant role. The only reason that people believe this is because they did not understand that it was the aged links pointing at the domain that makes an older domain easier to rank. Not the age of the domain. It's all about links.

Buy an aged domain with as close to empty of a backlink profile as you can find. Buy a brand new domain. Try to rank them both. Do this over and over, and you will see for yourself that there is no discernible difference. Have you tested it like this? I have.

SEOPub

SEOPub
My god. Do you even watch the videos that you post? He did not say social signals are a ranking factor in that video. He is talking about links from Facebook and Twitter. LINKS. Social signals are likes, shares, and retweets, which are not ranking factors.

Links from Facebook and Twitter are basically like links from anywhere else. One big difference though is most people these days have their Facebook profiles set to private, so even if they link to your site, Google cannot crawl it.

There has been zero credible evidence presented by anyone that social signals improve rankings. The only thing people have pointed to are correlation studies which sometimes show that higher ranking pages have more Likes, Shares, and Retweets, but correlation is not causation. Of course a page that ranks highly is probably going to have more social signals. They usually have more traffic and more opportunity to get those signals.

What nobody has ever presented is a page that saw significant ranking improvement because of social signals.

Harry P

I don't suppose Domain age is really important in SEO, I saw some new website could SEO better than old domain in search engine results.

I swear most of the people posting in this forum have never ranked a page for anything the least bit competitive.
According to you, how is high competitive for a webpage/keyword to be ranked in top search, at least top 3 search engines as Google, Bing?

jitendrasurve

I had very bad experience with bad domain. When i purchase old domain as it had good backlinks but once blog was live, i was getting traffic from mostly spam bots and paid traffic from few affiliates sites and ultimately my blog was banned by google.

I digged into find the reason but it was never found. I would rather say to buy new domain and work on building authority and use white hats techniques to get good backlinks.

ulterios

The actual domain age is NOT a ranking factor as stated by Google many times (Google it). What matters according to them is when they first crawled that site and that is what they base any kind of age ranking factors on, even if it's a very small ranking factor.

Where an older domain can help ranking is in it's links (if any) from previous websites. If there are a lot of quality links to that domain (Previous Website) then that can help, as long as they are good links and not a bunch of junk links.

ravi

domain age matters and does not matter. it matters because the older the domain name the more backlinks and popular the website domain is, generally. it does not matter because you could get good ranking with new domain as well. i have seen new domain names at the top position. i have also seen old domain names which are not doing well possibly because the domain name has bad reputation.

ulterios

ulterios
Just because a domain is old that doesn't mean it is popular or has any links. Age has nothing to do with popularity or links. Usually there are some links for older domains (technically the website that was there) but that is not always the case and age doesn't guarantee links.

TheStrugglingNewb

I've always heard people say that 'domain age' matters.

Personally, I don't think that it matters all that much and here's why.

As an affiliate marketer, I do a lot of launch jacking, and even though I rarely if ever
buy new domains to do it..

A lot of affiliates do.

And many of them are able to get their new domains to rank on the first page of Google
rather quickly.

Now granted, there is not a lot of competition for the new keywords that are being created around these
new products at the time so the competition is low...

But the fact is that a lot of these domain names are brand new domains because they are typically
(product name)review.com domains or (product name)bonus.com does not stop them from ranking very quickly.

Is domain age just one of the many factors that Google uses? Could be

But I wouldn't let that worry you too much though.

Just provide quality content and make sure you practice good SEO on your site and you should be ok.

Fred

EpicGlobalWeb

SEOpub, you're wrong. Domain age is the only thing that matters in today's marketing. That and social signals. An aged domain means wisdom. A domain with 2 years of age is 75 years in internet life span. Should one couple the ancient wisdom of an aged domain, and couple it with 100 GooglePlus +1's, page 1 shall then be an easy undertaking.

drastic

nothing matters.

everything is a way to sell you a domain for a higher price.

You want good SE ranks, then post good content and get people to link/share it because they like it, and make sure your site isn't slower than molasses.

That's it.

That is literally all SEO is.

Percentage

I think domain age plays a role but it's role is not significant enough, So I say it doesn't really matter about the age. I've had domains for 14+ years and they have not gained decent traffic. Also I have a little less years on a website I'm working on and it's getting decent traffic.

Nonu15

Domain age is a SEO factor but it is not so important factor. What is needed is a domain with good social signals and good SEO and backlinks.

EpicGlobalWeb

EpicGlobalWeb
If you notice, social signals are generally "promoted" by people who sell social software services.

The best chance social signals actually have at ranking factors is their potential to get infront of an influencer who blogs about you on his website and links to you. That's one way social media can help.

Otherwise, social signals don't seen to be nearly as important as traditional methods. Ignore my earlier comment about how important they are, it was a joke.

EpicGlobalWeb

Oh yeah all the time. You have to respect their sales pitch though. It did work haha.

jamesstewart

Yes, Its true that domain age matters in SEO but only the domains with good ranking and authority. Before you buy a domain, you need to do in depth analysis of the domain whether or not it has been a victim of google penalty in the past, or check past links pointing to this domain. Otherwise i suggest you to buy a new domain if you do not want to take a risk. sometimes even new domains perform better in terms of ranking rather than old domains.

Older threads
Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies