Number of CPUs?

arindamb

I want to start a new VPS for my site and at this point I will want the speed of webpages must be the best so I should increase number of CPUs for the VPS?

How many CPUs on a VPS are enough to have fast loading for web pages? 2 or 4 CPUs?

Mike001

Of course it goes without saying that a VPS with 4 CPU's is going to share and run tasks faster than a VPS with 2 CPU's. That is just Computer Science 101. The bigger question is will you notice the increase in speed based on your website.

There are a ton of factors involved with figuring website speed and performance. Here are just some of the top ones to think about ....

1. What type of site are you going to run? Is it a Blog, eCommerce, video hosting, Standard site (if those exist anymore), etc.
2. How big are the pages and what is being processed?
3. What type of content, static or dynamic?
4. How bloated is the front end? Are you writing the front end yourself, or using a out of the box CMS?
5. What type of database if there is one?
6. How many databases if the site is dynamic. (This makes a big difference in performance)
7. Who is managing the databases and will they be normalized. (If you have to ask what that is and this is a big site, with a lot of dynamic data, you need to get a database manager)
8. Is it SSL or standard HTTP. (encryption requires processes and resources)

These are some of the questions that you ask yourself when determining the number of CPU's for a VPS. This is not all inclusive but it covers the high points.

I have seen many customers waste money on multiple CPU's not taking into account what they are doing. Now granted, the additional CPU's are not truly wasted, they do a see a few millisecond increase in performance, but based on the requirements for the site they were designing, that money could have been much more efficiently spent, on a better site design instead of a hardware upgrade.

The would have seen a better (ROI) return on their investment and more bang for their buck with a professional SEO developer or more money on page development or better still database design. For speed on smaller sites (500 pages or less), the database design, or proper database design and normalization will have a better return than most anything else.

Just some thought to think about..... I know it is hard to believe ..... but bigger is not always better.....

Localnode

It goes without saying that a 1 core VPS can have a faster loading website than a 4 core VPS. You have to have proper optimisation (not just website optimisation, either).
So naturally, if the 4 core isn't optimised - then it's not that great.
What @Mike001 said is true.

Jesse

You may go with 2 vCores CPU.

also check the ram and Bandwidth for webpage speed

LorisZ

I suggest 2 Core CPU is enough. you can get unlimited bandwidth with VPS Hosting now. check out some hosting forums for best offers on VPS with great hosting features.

HM-Mike

I'd suggest 2 cores and 1GB RAM to start and just increase the RAM as your site requires it. You will soon notice, as your site gets popular, you will need more processing power and can upgrade as needed.

wms

Administrator
Staff member
It goes without saying that a 1 core VPS can have a faster loading website than a 4 core VPS. You have to have proper optimisation (not just website optimisation, either).
So naturally, if the 4 core isn't optimised - then it's not that great.
What @Mike001 said is true.
I'd suggest 2 cores and 1GB RAM to start and just increase the RAM as your site requires it. You will soon notice, as your site gets popular, you will need more processing power and can upgrade as needed.
I have same thoughs with you.

For me, 2 CPUs are enough to have a fast VPS, with conditionss you need to optimize for your VPS and install some caching solutions for it :D

Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.