Learning web design?

BillEssley

WMS Marketplace Seller
From your experience, which sources have you learned to succeed in web design field, learning from an eBook or a course that selling on websites with videos and exercise files included. Please share your honest answers.

Mike001

Bill,

It depends what you want to learn and what is the best learning method for you. We all have our own preferred methods for learning new topics and how we learn best. I teach web engineering at a college level and over the many years that I have been teaching I have seen many techniques for learning plus instilling knowledge and none of them have been all right or all wrong.

It has to do with the student. We all learn at different paces, and grasp things at different levels. I have had students where I can mention something one time and they have it, that is all she wrote. They can take that information and run with it. Other students, in the same class, hearing the same information will need much more reinforcement training before they grasp the concept. Much of that has to do with their learning background and the material they have learned to that point. Someone that has a good grasp of math concepts and understands that math is an exact science, picks up programming relatively quickly, it to is an exact science. There are very few, if any, grey areas in programming. It is either a 1 or a 0.

Web development is programming. In HTML and CSS it is a simplistic form of programming, but programming none the less. The pages will only display what and how we tell them. Understanding the flow of the document and the code (scripting language in this example), is 90% of the process. If you understand normal document flow and how we can manipulate normal document flow using our code when developing our pages, you have gotten most of the development concepts.

That is where many people lose the battle. They fail to learn the basic concepts and without those everything else is extremely difficult to grasp.

When I begin a new class with a group of new students, I spend about 10 to 15 minutes with each student, one-on-one. We discuss their background and why they choose web engineering. From their I go back to my office and develop a lesson plan for that student, based on what i gathered in that interview. I try to tailor, as best I can, the learning goals around their strengths. We develop the training around the best ways for them to train and learn. Based on that I have a very high success rate with my students. Some of them are great self learners, others need much more one-on-one and hands on learning. I try to find what works for them.

So how do you learn best? Be honest with yourself and accurately access how you have learned in the past. Once you answer that question the path forward for your learning goals will identified for you. If you need any help let me know.

There is no one path for every person, we are all different and learn things at different paces.

I hope this helps.

jms

I prefer to learn from existing solutions,
for example taking an already made Css, html template and read the code and try to make small modifications...Etc
over time you'll find yourself able to build your own css & html templates from scratch.
as for the necessary tools, maybe it's up to you as almost every web development IDEs have some sort of html & css editing tools, such as Visual Studio, Eclipse...etc

WebmasterPhil

Honestly, you need all types of sources. Videos are not necessarily better than books, and college classrooms are not necessarily better than videos.

I have a huge library of webmastering books that dates back to 1998, and yes, I still refer to some of them once in awhile. I've learned webmastering in college, on Lynda.com (back in 2001 or whenever Lynda.com came out), VTC, and now Udemy. I can't say one source is much better than another.

andrewbenn

there are 5 ways to learn web design:
1. School
2. Reading
3. Video Instruction
4. Interactive
5. Hybrid

EpicGlobalWeb

EpicGlobalWeb
School did absolutely nothing for me for programming. Everything I learned came from books and YouTube. I have an entire closet full of books and it is the main reason why I refuse to move.

School was a complete waste of time for me.

Claire_Anderson

You can become a web designer by
1. Watching designing tutorials from internet
2.by Enrolling in the designing course from an institute
3. by learning from designing books
4.by contributing in the web designing community and checking the designers blog
5. by looking at the top designers portfolios to understand innovative designs
6.by looking at the poor designs to learn from the designers mistakes

imnathanjames

Hello mate.
I started to learn web design in college. Using dreamweaver and html.
But that was only 3 hours a week, so i also used w3 schools to learn html more. I didn't get on with dreamweaver very well and always fancied the html option more.
Then after a year or so of reading books, college and w3 i found wordpress and have never looked back.

Now you have sites like lynda and udemy to help you.
Stick with it, although i now use wordpress for all my sites it is still very handy to know the basics of html incase you have to look into the code itself to maybe add analytics etc.

Hope this helps

Mike001

Kurt,

I have taken over a hundred courses from Udemy mainly as research for my college classes that I teach, I did this to point my students in the right direction for additional training in their classes that they are taking in their degree programs. I have never recommended a Udemy Course for any of my students. Which is a shame because I have paid for the majority of those classes.

If you question that PM me and I will give you my login name, as an instructor for Udemy, you can look at the number of classes I have enrolled in.

The reason that I do not recommend them is that most all of the information that I have seen on that site is incomplete and out of date. The instructors do not follow Best Practices, they have little or no experience in the real world in web development and do not support their students. They leave out important information in the topics they cover and when you approach them on it, they ignore the question.

I have submitted numerous questions on courses to the instructors, and many of these questions were very simple basic questions on the topic and most did not even respond to the question.

Sounds to me like you are just promoting your classes. That is the difference between someone that wants their students to succeed and someone that wants to sell courses.

Ron Killian

Sorry, I don't understand why the reply did not get deleted. It's VERY clear they are only here for one thing, to sell. Not every trying to do it on the sly. Just like all the other replies they posted :(

Rob Whisonant

Classes and courses work for many. Probably the majority. But for some reason they never worked for me. I had to learn by reading books on HTML and CSS. I then looked at pages I liked and reverse engineered the specific elements on the page. This seem to make it soak in to me.

Mike001

Thanks Ron,

I have actually tried to delete that post but for some unknown reason the button for moderation edit is not present on that post.

The button reappeared and I have removed the post. Thanks again, Ron

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.