What is forward dns and reverse dns?

Jared Smith

I'm new to hosting field, I am using a shared hosting but wanted to have a VPS for myself. I heard that to config and run a VPS, I need to set forward dns and reverse dns? what are they and where to set forward dns and reverse dns?

ElixantTechnology

Reverse DNS would be set by the hosting provider or through their control panel as it involves entries on their centralized DNS cluster in the Datacenter to update PTR records; Reverse DNS is required for valid mail delivery and requires a valid domain pointed via. Forward DNS to the server.

Forward DNS is finding the IP of a server via. a Domain Name (i.e. example.com); this is done by installing and configuring software such as BIND and configuring Nameserver records on the BIND server as well as with your Domain Registrar. By pointing the domain to said Nameservers it queries the BIND server for IP addresses in which the host should be directed to, these are DNS Zone Files that will need to be configured to either point the domain &/or subdomains to the server or to another server.

Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.