What is the difference between VPS CLOUD and VPS SSD?

BillEssley

WMS Marketplace Seller

I am seeing two VPS packages like these

Package 1 (VPS CLOUD)
Code:
OpenStack KVM
99.99% SLA
4 vCores
3.1 GHz
8 GB RAM
100 GB 
High Availability (Ceph)
$$ /month
Package 2 (VPS SSD)
Code:
OpenStack KVM
2 vCores
2.4 GHz
8 GB RAM
40 GB SSD
Local RAID 10
$$/month
Could you tell me which package should I choose and why? any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

radwebhosting

If both are from the same provider, you are most likely dealing with SATA or spinning disk storage, as opposed to the clearly identified SSD storage in Package 2. Additionally, Package 2 clearly identifies itself as having Local RAID 10, which would lead one to assert that the server is more of a traditional VPS server.

Package 1 utilizes Ceph redundancy, which provides triple data replication at minimum. This replication would span over multiple physical servers and provide further redundancy and fault-tolerance, when compared with Local RAID 10 array.

As far as recommendation of which package to choose, we do not have enough information to make a suggestion. We would need to know more about your specific project/intended use. Package 1 is providing more storage and twice as many CPU cores as Package 2. However, you may find the read/write speeds of SSD to be more suited for your project, in which case, Package 2 might be the better offer.

Regardless, if both servers are from the same provider, there will likely be a great price difference to consider, as well.

BillEssley

WMS Marketplace Seller
If both are from the same provider, you are most likely dealing with SATA or spinning disk storage, as opposed to the clearly identified SSD storage in Package 2. Additionally, Package 2 clearly identifies itself as having Local RAID 10, which would lead one to assert that the server is more of a traditional VPS server.
Yes it comes from a hosting provider that I found on this forum.

No, both are SSD storage and you are right, Package 2 is a traditional VPS but the problem is I want to compare the speed between 2 packages.

2 vCores with 2.4 GHz is enough for running websites and it is fast enough?

What about package 1? its definatly faster than package 2 because it has 4 vCores - 3.1 GHz?

But how if I use CDN (cloudfare) for package 1 then how?

Package 1 utilizes Ceph redundancy, which provides triple data replication at minimum. This replication would span over multiple physical servers and provide further redundancy and fault-tolerance, when compared with Local RAID 10 array.
I really don't understand about Ceph term or what you are saying to.

Could you pls share any screenshots or explaining what Ceph is?

As far as recommendation of which package to choose, we do not have enough information to make a suggestion. We would need to know more about your specific project/intended use. Package 1 is providing more storage and twice as many CPU cores as Package 2. However, you may find the read/write speeds of SSD to be more suited for your project, in which case, Package 2 might be the better offer.

Regardless, if both servers are from the same provider, there will likely be a great price difference to consider, as well.
It's all information that I can get from a hosting site, next steps are choosing web servers and check out.

I don't care about storage, just CPUs (the loading speed for my blogs) and how package 1 or 2 can accommodate how many visitors online on my blogs all the time?

radwebhosting

Thank you for your clarification. It is true that Package 1 offers more cores (4 vs 2) with a higher clock speed (3.1GHz vs 2.4GHz) than package 2. Having said that, the overall speed and performance of a server is influenced by more than simply the number of cores and the thread speed of the cores.

One factor that will surely speed up your blogs for your visitors is the SSD storage on Package 2. Additionally, RAID 10 offers added redundancy (to help reduce the risk of drive failure and data loss), but RAID 10 also speeds up the overall read/write (i/o) pace of the server, which will make a big difference when compared with the traditional spinning disks in Package 1. Further, Ceph storage is not a major factor in server performance.

Think of Ceph storage as a large RAID card which, not only mirrors your data to another drive on your local server, but also to other drives outside of your server. Ceph storage has other benefits, which we will not discuss today, but in terms of the extra performance you are looking for, it is not going to provide as much help as the RAID 10 SSD storage.

With the limited information available, I would recommend taking Package 2 for your blog hosting, and using the leftover savings to put towards your CDN service. This should provide an overall, high-performance hosting environment that would be able to sustain many simultaneous visitors.

Of course, this is open to discussion, and I would be glad to hear any input from other readers.

radwebhosting

If you are able to talk to your provider, ask them what server hardware they are using to create these servers. This would be useful information, especially if they are able to provide the processor models used.

hostslim

Most likely the Cloud is with a SAN /SATA or SAS and the other is pure SSD with local RAID10.

Where will you be using it for? SSD is for high IOPS (writing/reading etc).

I am seeing two VPS packages like these

Package 1 (VPS CLOUD)
Code:
OpenStack KVM
99.99% SLA
4 vCores
3.1 GHz
8 GB RAM
100 GB 
High Availability (Ceph)
$$ /month
Package 2 (VPS SSD)
Code:
OpenStack KVM
2 vCores
2.4 GHz
8 GB RAM
40 GB SSD
Local RAID 10
$$/month
Could you tell me which package should I choose and why? any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

HostColor

Did you ask the provider to bring some clarification? A "SSD VPS" might mean a virtual server hosted on a stand-alone physical server that uses solid state drives. A Cloud-based VPS, mean that there must be a clustered (cloud) infrastructure on the underlying physical layer with some virtualization on top. OpenStack is a popular as Cloud software platform, but you still need to ask the web host what is the difference between both services.

BillEssley

WMS Marketplace Seller
Most likely the Cloud is with a SAN /SATA or SAS and the other is pure SSD with local RAID10.
Where will you be using it for? SSD is for high IOPS (writing/reading etc).
For sure...I will use this package for hosting my new sites.

Did you ask the provider to bring some clarification? A "SSD VPS" might mean a virtual server hosted on a stand-alone physical server that uses solid state drives. A Cloud-based VPS, mean that there must be a clustered (cloud) infrastructure on the underlying physical layer with some virtualization on top. OpenStack is a popular as Cloud software platform, but you still need to ask the web host what is the difference between both services.
No I have not asked yet but I think the package 1 is better because it has the price higher a bit if compared to the package 2.

HostColor

HostColor
You have asked "What is the difference between VPS CLOUD and VPS SSD?", haven't you? The answer of this question itself has nothing to do with the question which "package is better"? It is obvious that if one virtual instance comes with 4 CPU cores, it should be more powerful than one that has 2 cores. This has nothing to do with the "Cloud Computing", however.

Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads