Starting with AM

Chancer

Hi

My background is in engineering and i have been freelancing in that field for a while now, but decided to go a new route. Since i need to learn how to market well (for my future endeavors) i decided to take on AM.

As far as programing goes i am versed in MatLab and have some experience with Python, so programming logic is not unknown to me. But internet itself is a big unknown to me, hence my registration here as i have a myriad of questions.

Right now my primary concern is traffic building and finding the right AM programs.
I have been making a website for nearly 2 months now (writing content), but have so far little to show as i had to learn about many things in this time.
Nevertheless i did have 1 sale so far (with barely any traffic) so i see potential here.

With your combined wisdom and experiences i hope to progress as fast as possible.
And of course one day start giving back to the community.

Thank you for your time.

Samm

Hi Chancer,

That's good to hear. I hope you get many more sales.

Do your best on spelling and grammar and reread your writing when you publish. This will help the quality of your site to remain high and to catch little mistakes that can hurt credibility.

If your site is about something you know extremely well, it will be easier to create lots of valuable content from the richness of your experiences. The tip below is borrowed from a well-known Reddit user humblesalesman, from whom I've learned quite a bit...:

Quality, Speed and Design=
Quality of my site exceeds that of competitors
Speed of my site is just below 3 seconds (or I lose 40% of my traffic, based on Kissmetrics research [URLnf="https://blog.kissmetrics.com/loading-time/"]here[/URLnf]

Design is better, easier clearer than competitors

This will likely help your site stand out more and be easier to pitch if you should approach guest blogging as a means to bring connections and referral traffic to your site. If your site is worse in one of these areas, then it could help to target and improve in those areas. Coincidentally, improving in these three areas should increase on-site time and eventually lead to growth in traffic. Using keywords will help, if you learn to use Semrush.com or another tool..

Finally, commenting on sites you think are closely related to your own may benefit your traffic growth. Link to inner pages where possible. Forums like this could be useful, but tact and asking permission is advised - if self promotion is even permissible there.

Ron Killian

Difficult for any one to give you a good answer as it's very vague what your doing.

A website?

A blog?

What niche or market?

And when you say "AM", you mean Affiliate Marketing, correct?

Chancer

Hi twelveforty,
My spelling and grammar are ok, and content is conveyed clearly - i think (i’ll ask a few people soon to rate the content). Yoast SEO plugin says readability is good as well, but i’m not familiar with its algorithms so i dont know how much to trust it.

Speed is ok, but could be better considering i have no fancy graphics.
By the way, your link contains an infographic, are they really as good for SEO as some claim (just curious)?

Design is… stock (a free WordPress theme). I wanted a custom layout but then figured i can change that later.
The theme is relatively dark and easy on the eyes, but lately i’ve been wondering if lighter (livelier) themes fare better?
(i’ve read that people are more focused when reading text on a light background, and i wonder if that is because lighter colors make people feel more ‘’awake’’)

Semrush: So far i’ve been using OnPage and TrafficTravis with very limited success (i dont really know yet how to benefit from them), but semrush seems to have more features. I’ll get acquainted with it.

Hi Mr. Killian,
It’s a website, it is primarily about how to make money with freelancing - this is the ‘’bait’’.
To make money with it, it will in part describe, review and sell tools which freelancers require (software, hardware) and in part it will sell health & nutrition supplements (things which make a busy lifestyle easier).

I know it sounds too broad, and it is, but i will build it gradually.
Right now i am working on the health & nutrition section, to make it profitable as soon as possible.

*with AM i meant affiliate marketing yes.

Hi Whland, i’ll be here quite a lot i think.
I have much to learn here :)

Thank you

Ron Killian

Obviously it's your choice, but I think it is way to broad, freelancing/health and nutrition. Actually seems kind of odd, might seem odd to your visitors. I can see why you think they could mix, kind of makes sense, but not really.

I personally think it's best to focus as narrow as possible. That way you can target and draw in better converting traffic. You could make more with less traffic.

If anything, you could advertise the two sites on each other, but putting them both together into one does not sound like the best idea. But only my opinion.

Yes, please use light, dark is SO out. I don't know the stats, or the theories on colors that well, but I am sure dark is not appealing these days. How many dark websites do you see these days? Not many. Just look the big brands, or the big sites, you know they do things on purpose, like light sites, modern, clean. I wouldn't want to try and read a website with a dark background. Again, my opinion. :)

ulterios

Welcome to webmaster Sun Chancer, Nice introduction.

I will keep an eye out for your posts.

Welcome again. :welcome:

Purres

Hi Chancer, welcome to Webmaster Sun and looking forward to see you around.

imnathanjames

Hello Chancer,

Welcome to Webmastersun

Great to have you here.
I know we may have already connected, i just wanted to introduce myself again!

Good luck!!

fromrachel

Nice to meet you Chancer!

It is not too late to say welcome you to this forum?

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your stay here!

Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.