What things do I need to learn to manage my own VPS?

Markadler

I often buy a managed VPS and my hosting provider managed it at all for me, sometimes I have sent tickets when my hosting got problems. I would like to know what things do i need to learn to be able to manage my own VPS, I would have a VPS from scratch, learn how to setup and configure everything on it to have a fast hosting server. How? anyone shoots me a guide?

RDO Servers

Setting up a VPS is the easy part.
Keeping it running properly, handling problems when they arise, and keeping it secure is the challenge.

My suggestion would be to order a cheap VPS package and start playing with it. Learn all you can before using it in a production environment.

Start with thinking about what services you want to run on the VPS and use Google to find tutorials on how to install and configure them.

Then find some tutorials on hardening a VPS/Server and go through the process following every step.

Then load a site and run some benchmarks/load tests. See how it performs, look for bottlenecks, and try to fix the problems.

The best way to learn is by doing!!

vps9

Now almost all hosts provide SolusVM control panel or alternative panel to manage VPS Activities to the client. through this panel you can do some normal operations on your VPS like, reset password, reset hostname, shut down, restart, re-install, enable TUN/TAP and etc. If you have purchased cPanel to host website or for any other reasons, then you need to know completely about cPanel features. you can google about both Panels and get the information. For some technical issues, you can contact to your host to assist you further and handle the issue.

Reactions: Markadler

Markadler

Markadler
I would know if SolusVM control panel is the same to whm/cPanel or it is just for hosting providers to manage VPS Activities from their clients?

And they are paid panel that I need to pay for installing on my VPS or dedicated servers?

I found that web hosting and self host is a great thing to learn and it is more helpful to my sites. It's reason why I wanted to learn to control the VPS by myself.

vps9

SolusVM panel is completely different. it comes along with VPS hosting service to manage the VPS. there are many paid and unpaid panels for hosting services. If you take managed hosting services then the hosting providers will provide you free cPanel Access along with Basic DDOS protection and management services. Here hosting provider will help you out for any software installation on VPS or servers. Where as in unmanaged Hosting services only you need to handle all the activities of your service. Only basic technical support you can get from hosting provider. Most of the newbies will go for Managed VPS hosting, and later change the Service to unmanaged only when they are able to manage it completely.

Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.