Little Help With Mailchimp Setup

rahul

I am working on a wordpress website which include number of categories and I want the visitors to subscribe the newsletter based on the category they like. I want to give them the option to choose the category for which they want to receive the newsletter while adding their email. How can I achieve this using mailchimp with wordpress?

Thanks..

Last edited:

Mike001

One of the many challenges of using a prepackaged CMS.

The way that I would approach this is to have the category selection trigger the registration form. Of course this would mean that each category would have it own mailing list and if you wanted to send a newsletter to all the registrants you would have to merge all the separate mailing lists.

The best way would be to go into the Wordpress database structure and modify the database to trigger separate mailing lists based on the user registration and the category they select when they register. This way you only have on mailing list but in that list is a category selection that the user makes upon registration. DO NOT attempt this unless you are very familiar with PHP and the WordPress data normalization structure. You can mess up your entire site by playing with the database structure in WordPress if you are not familiar with what you are doing.

I would rethink this process. Why would you limit your users to one category. What if they wanted 2 of 6 categories, or 3 of 8 categories, or 7 of 8 categories. By making this a select section you are creating a lot of work for yourself and your users.

Is your WordPress Blog on one niche? Do you really think that your users would be interested in only one area? Think it through it may not be worth all the extra trouble making that an option. Unless you have a large staff Publish a single newsletter to all your members.

The added complexity may be a turn off to your users. Think it through as if you were a user and approach it without any preconceived notions and you may be surprised what you determine.

Reactions: Devin Holdcraft

rahul

rahul

You are right Mike. If this involves so much of complexity then I will leave this idea. Also, I was thinking about giving my visitors an option to choose more than 1 category because I believe that if a women receives a newsletter including men's tips then it could be a trunoff for her.

Can you tell me if this is possible with members area in wordpress? I mean, if I give this option to the signed-in members, so that they can choose the categories they like and receive updates regarding those only?

If that is also very complex then what is the best way to add some options like "gender" in the newsletter form? Atleast, if I can send right newsletters based on geneder, it will be great.

And, I am running a multi-niche website.

Ron Killian

Ron Killian
Well you could do it with S2member, by making a membership level for each category. But I think there is a limit as to how many levels. I only use 2, so I don't know how many you could make.

With each level they could sign up and you could have them automatically added to a certain list because each list has it's own settings.

I don't use Mailchimp because they don't like marketers, but you should be able to make your form collect anything, like gender.

One important thing to remember, it "sounds" like you might have a many different lists, it could be a pain to manage many different lists, and just as important, to manage them effectively. Just a thought.

Something else, I just thought about, most quality autoresponder services, you can "tag" subscribers, say maybe gender.

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.