Can I host my own website with my own Computer?

Harry P

I have a new computer that its configurations are pretty good, would it be possible to use that as a server to host my website?

If so How would I go about doing that?
Is there another way I can host, without having to buy from someone else?

Rob Whisonant

It's not a good idea. Most ISPs will turn off your Internet when they discover you doing this from a home account. Also you need to buy a dedicated IP from them and move to a business account for it to really work "properly" and within their Terms and conditions.

It's cheaper to just get a cheap shared hosting account for about $5 a month.

Localnode

I have a new computer that its configurations are pretty good, would it be possible to use that as a server to host my website?

If so How would I go about doing that?
Is there another way I can host, without having to buy from someone else?
Sure, it's possible. Lots of people do it. If you don't have a static IP, you can use a service like [URLnofo]http://www.noip.com/[/URLnofo]
It will, however, be much cheaper to buy a hosting plan, as power costs are relatively more expensive than say $5/mo for a shared hosting plan.
There's also the fact that data centres have UPS systems, generators, more than one bandwidth carrier, and are more reliable than hosting from home.

I'm unaware of any ISP's in Australia not allowing you to host a website from home. Depending on your ISP, though, I would check just to make sure.

The only other way to host, without having to buy from someone else would be a free hosting plan.

Mike001

I have to go with the comments above, it can be done, but why would you want too.

Besides a good server, I tend to use HP Proliant Blade Servers, currently G9's, can run right around $7,000.00 per server. To run a system efficiently you will need at least 2 for redundancy and most configuration that I setup I recommend 4. That's a lot of cash for a high availability hardware solution for a personal website. By the way that does not include the rack, the power supplies, and the special cooling that is needed to support good servers. You would also need a good disk array system, that can add a few thousand dollars to the cost.

There is much more to a good high reliability server than a motherboard and a disk drive.

One of the real areas of concern that has not been mentioned above is the security concerns. I have setup many hosted servers for customers that have large sites and want to manage their own servers and it can be very cost prohibitive. Once you get the server actually setup and configured to manage the site, which takes some serious knowledge of server configurations and web software, then you have to deal with the security that you will install on the server to make certain that unscrupulous people do not access your server. Believe me they are there and they will do all they can to access your system.

Let me give you an example. One of my customers setup a small business system to increase the business for a local brick and mortar business and increase their local visibility and sales. We spent about 45 days getting the site setup and the hardware configured to support the website. We used some pretty high tech security cloud software to restrict access to the server. I do not want to mention the vendor as I think this could have happened with any vendor.

After about 45 days we had noticed that the server was running slow and appeared to be sluggish when responding to web requests. The customer called us in and we had found that the server had been hijacked and was being used to send 100's of thousands of spam emails from a phantom source. It looked as through it had been reconfigured soon after we completed the installation and it just had not been noticed because the customer was not really monitoring the resources of the system. What concerned us most was we had been locked out of the configuration files and were not able to get back in without a complete format of the system and a re installation of all the software. Luckily when I have a team setup a business server we create a complete set of hard drives, that are not in the system, that can be hot swapped we brought the server down and reset all the EEPROM, reconfigured the hardware and replaced the drives.

We were back up in about an hour. We never could recover those drives, they had been encrypted with an algorithm that we had not seen before and the way the MBR had been setup we could not get into them without the key. Had we not had those drives this could have been a very expensive recovery for the customer. Soon after that, we moved to a hardware key for that customer and all our high visibility customers to see that could not happen again. The keys can be pricey, they run about 100 bucks per CPU, and take some serious time to configure and install but no changes can be made to the system with out the hardware key. The key changes it's 16 digit Alpha-Numeric code every 30 seconds, the code must be entered to access the system.

Unless you have the time, knowledge and the money I would not host my own sites. It requires a lot of work, and takes away time that you could be using to increase your web presence.

There are a lot of jerks out there that nothing better to do then try to disrupt your systems.

EpicGlobalWeb

Does anyone know if this also is a problem for email? I don't know if it's a php problem or xampp but in localhost when running xampp, phpmailer doesn't send out emails. Why? And isn't this a problem that would happen if you hosted your own server too?

EpicGlobalWeb

I'll give that a shot and let you know how it worked!

Rob Whisonant

Rob Whisonant
If this is on your home computer and not a business account, make sure you use a third party SMTP service instead of your ISPs. If you send a lot of emails they will turn off your internet access. I have seen this happen to many people that have tried to send to a mailing list using their ISP.

Lot's of inexpensive SMTP services available. Use one of them to be safe unless you are only sending out a very small number of emails. The number is hard to determine. Each ISP seems to have their own trigger number.

EpicGlobalWeb

I ask this with the utmost intention of following the rules whole-heartedly:

Can that be masked with encryption through a VPN?

Rob Whisonant

Rob Whisonant
Not sure I understand the question. But, what ever leaves your home computer must first travel through your ISP. So they know what traffic you are sending through their SMTP server regardless if it is encrypted or not.

EpicGlobalWeb

Rob,

When my PC boots up it turns on a VPN. So the connection looks like this:

PC => Router => Internet => 1st VPN

Once it reaches the 1st VPN, even the ISP can't see through 256 bit encryption. So I was asking at this point can it still "see" my activity?

anhbloginc

From my point of view, it's not a good idea to doing so. Because:

- You will need a dedicated IP, which must be reserved for you only. Dynamic IP also work but complicated and isn't stable.
- Keep your computer running 24/7 is also not a good idea as it will consume a lot of power.
- Not talk about how you will configure it yet, but I'm sure that the performance will not efficient.

What's the purpose of running your website at your own home?

Simon46

In my opinion, its not wise, that means you make your computer as a server which will power on 24*7, if you turned down, other can not visit your website, you'd better order a VPS as they are really affordable now. I have ordered last week, try to google vpb to find out whether I said is true, I am more or less like you, is a person for desire of power, even that is only building a own website.

SenseiSteve

I would say don't do it just because home computers are not designed to run 24/7 like enterprise servers at data centers. You won't have redundancy in bandwidth or power, among other things.

Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.