JavaScript Backlinks

EpicGlobalWeb

Do links that come from a website with modified DOM, from JavaScript, count as quality backlinks?

For instance, can I write a code snippet in JavaScript at the bottom of the page. It will:

1. search the web page
2. find a word
3. turn it into a link

You have probably seen examples of this in ad networks.

Is this good or bad in the eyes of search engines?

trustdnb

Do links that come from a website with modified DOM, from JavaScript, count as quality backlinks?
In my personal opinion, it will count as backlinks but I think they are not quality backlinks because doesn't have anchor text.

I saw some websites did this, link in html code and not show on the webpage.

paul1129

They will be counted as backlinks but I am highly doubtful that they will pass any link juice.

EpicGlobalWeb

Okay. I'm presuming the reason is because Google can read JavaScript since it's front-end code? Perhaps if it was done on the server side it would work?

TCoder

I did a lot of experimentation with this. Google does read Javascript. So if you implement something like this on your site, you'll be losing link juice to your inner pages. If you do it server-side, google doesn't have a clue.

George Lucas

TCoder

TCoder
Depends on what you're trying to accomplish, I was trying to use java-script to sculpt the page rank flow. I wanted to provide useful links for visitors, but I didn't want link juice flowing to terms of use/policy pages, etc

I put different forms of javascript links on site A linking to Site B, Site C, Site D and watched in google webmaster tools, if it will pick up site A as a linking domain and in all cases it did. When I went to server side redirects, then it doesn't.

Last edited:

EpicGlobalWeb

No there seems to be great use to doing it, just as long as it's done on the server side. This tells us that Google will do away with link juice when it can "see" it like it can in JavaScript, which is what I needed to know. Thanks.

TCoder

Another tool I use is something called "Link Klipper" it's a Chrome Extension and it will quickly download all the links on a page.

A lot of times, when using that tool on sites ranking 1-5, you'll see that they don't have many links and the few links they do have to secondary pages rank well.

Link Klipper won't pick up Javascript links, but it does a good job with normal links, when I first used it on my site it was an eye-opener for me. It made me change my thinking.

EpicGlobalWeb

Link Klipper is a pretty cool tool, thanks for sharing.

paulgl

I did a lot of experimentation with this. Google does read Javascript.
How do you confirm Google read Javascript and how did you check that? just curious

Another tool I use is something called "Link Klipper" it's a Chrome Extension and it will quickly download all the links on a page.
I will try this tool but

A lot of times, when using that tool on sites ranking 1-5, you'll see that they don't have many links and the few links they do have to secondary pages rank well.
I don't really what you are saying to. Can you explain in more details for this?

TCoder

How do you confirm Google read Javascript and how did you check that? just curious
In webmaster tools I set up 5 different sites that I owned (for testing purposes) . If you don't own that many sites like me, just "Sub-domain the sites you have" and set those up in Google Webmaster tools.

Then link one of the sites, I call this Site A to Site B, Site C, Site D, Site E via Javascript using different methods. Then wait a few weeks and check the "Linked Domains" on site B-E in GWT (You will see site A on the list)

I don't really what you are saying to. Can you explain in more details for this?
The page that's normally linked the most of any website is the "Homepage" - It's not secondary pages. You're company lets say has 1000 incoming links, now your homepage has a lot of ranking power, so it uses that power and passes the link juice to all the other pages on your site that it links to. If you have a link to a "Terms of Use", a "Privacy Policy", a "Contact Us" it funnels ranking power to those useless pages, they are not your money pages. Why give them link juice? Removing the links from your home page allows the more important pages to rank better, but it's not customer friendly. Javascript linking to them could of been a solution and was a solution in the past, but it's not anymore. So the only thing left is a "Server Side" re-direct.

Read up on page sculpting, here's an article from Matt Cutts.

[URLnofo]https://www.mattcutts.com/blog/pagerank-sculpting/[/URLnofo]

It's does not violate any terms of Google SEO, it's not considered Blackhat. You're just controlling how you want page rank (link juice) to flow.

Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.