New Features in PHP 7? and what to expect when you upgrade to PHP 7?

Harry P

What are new features in PHP 7? I read more articles about this version but I don't believe it can help my site to have better performance. How to check that. I am using PHP 5.6 and its stable.

virtubox

PHP7 is 3x time faster than php5.6 and require less resources to run your website. Here my benchmark on the same server with phpbench

--------------------------------------
| PHP BENCHMARK SCRIPT |
Start : 2016-09-11 13:30:06
PHP version : 7.0.9
Platform : Linux
test_ifelse : 0.177 sec.
test_loops : 0.213 sec.
test_stringmanipulation : 0.337 sec.
test_math : 0.251 sec.
Total time: : 0.978 sec.

| PHP BENCHMARK SCRIPT |
Start : 2016-09-11 09:30:31
PHP version : 5.6.24
Platform : Linux
test_math : 0.967 sec.
test_stringmanipulation : 0.960 sec.
test_loops : 0.555 sec.
test_ifelse : 0.458 sec.
Total time: : 2.94 sec.

anhbloginc

Currently, I'm running a VPS in Digital Ocean. Is there anything I need to know before upgrading to PHP 7? Such as compatible or issue that could occur?

Mike001

Thanks for the link Rob, I was going to add it and noticed that you had posted it.

The only thing I would mention is that if you plan to make the move read through the migration manual carefully. I was migrating a customer site, because of the performance increase, and missed an important aspect of the error checking and it costs me a couple of hours of development time tracking it down and correcting it.

Sometimes the best laid plans fall by the wayside....

trustdnb

trustdnb
Its just increase the performance for your website, I would use a caching solution for it and you still can use PHP 5.x.
PHP7 required more thing like writing right codes, DON'T use mysql_ Functions, PHP close tags at the end of a file, Perform Queries In A Loop, use * in SQL queries,..etc thus any CMS is not compatible with PHP7, it needs to be fixed before running with this version, if no it can cause high load or other problems on your hosting server.

virtubox

virtubox
The most popular CMS are already fully compatible with php7 (WordPress, Prestashop, Magento, Drupal, Joomla). Just be careful when using old and outdated plugins.
And to install cache extension like memcached or redis for php7, you will have to use PECL extension.

Newer threads
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.