Why do people enjoy getting likes on social media platforms?

lkovnih226

Someone spent $800 just for getting 20K likes on Facebook or other social networks, why do people enjoy getting likes on social media platforms even they are ready to spend more money for that? I could not find exact answers for this question and needing someone explain me.

Thanks!

mantra

But are those 20k likes real or from robots? Those types of likes are no good. They don't generate return traffic.
Yes, they do indicate to potential visitors that this site has a following.

Muzzamil

Someone spent $800 just for getting 20K likes on Facebook or other social networks, why do people enjoy getting likes on social media platforms even they are ready to spend more money for that? I could not find exact answers for this question and needing someone explain me.

Thanks!
They expect to get more exposure so they could send those people to their website as traffic. But most of the time people don't realize that many likes are from bots and not from real people.

Ron Killian

Obviously the only one that knows the real answer to that is the person who bought it. Although, do you know some one that bought those kinds of likes, or you just see people selling? Of course, just because some one selling something, does mean there are buyers. Sure plenty of "sellers" these days. Twitter is littered with them.

I think like SEOPub said, they think it builds credibility. I am sure it helps. Or, just as important, it could be for "social proof".

If your looking for a particular product or service and one has tons of likes (social proof), and a similar one does not, it could sway you. Does most people.

lkovnih226

But are those 20k likes real or from robots? Those types of likes are no good. They don't generate return traffic.
Yes, they do indicate to potential visitors that this site has a following.
They are real likes from Facebook ads, some of my friends bought and shared their experiences

Obviously the only one that knows the real answer to that is the person who bought it. Although, do you know some one that bought those kinds of likes, or you just see people selling? Of course, just because some one selling something, does mean there are buyers. Sure plenty of "sellers" these days. Twitter is littered with them.

I think like SEOPub said, they think it builds credibility. I am sure it helps. Or, just as important, it could be for "social proof".

If your looking for a particular product or service and one has tons of likes (social proof), and a similar one does not, it could sway you. Does most people.
Not only my friends but one person on this forum I read the post mentioned to this amount. I could not remember exactly which thread it is in but you can search in this forum https://www.webmastersun.com/forums/11-Social-Media-Marketing

I am sure it existed there.

ivanab

Here are few reasons.

It could be for social proof!

It could be they are branding their business!

It could be they are building custom audience. (so they can advertise to those some niche relevant product)

They are getting viral traffic back to their site (more shares) - and some way to monetize traffic on their site!

They might be selling some products!

Probably growing their list!

mackrodd

Nobody follows you unless you have something in return
If you invest mone on fb ads to get targeted likes it seems good, even 100 people seems great which is better than thousands of fake and cheap likes. We are talking about engagement and build social proof from real people for real business

matteomatt

It depends, for my friend who was not into marketing, it seemed to greatly boost his ego, which he was attached to.

For a marketer, 20k targeted likes is good, but in this case it might not have been legit. 800$ is alot, I would never pay that much, but if you have a good method it might work.

As far as why marketers want likes, because it adds to your reputation, and it is visible on other people's news feeds when you like something, so it exposes it to more people on social traffic.

adityasingh

It's just for marketing nothing else. These types of likes are mostly from bots not from humans to promote their business and to show people.

EpicGlobalWeb

I'm not sure why nobody said this yet but here's another major reason why:

Likes = engagement. It's not ONLY about credibility, but also about list-building. Someone did mention list-building already but more specifically, when someone likes a page they also see all that page's posts. This is branding & sales almost like an RSS feed.

Second, the people that liked the page showed a passive level of interest. The page owner will eventually set up another advertising campaign where he will sell only to the people that liked that page. This is the most effective way to turn Facebook likes into sales because it is more targeted than buying ads for users not interested in you yet.

In short, his conversions will be higher because of this action.

There seems to be an assumption that those 20k likes are from bots. They could also be natural likes. I believe Hawker provides a good platform for that sort of thing on here. If they are bots then it's the band-wagon principle like SEO Pub said. But they could come from his/her own large network too, which can get credible followers.

Last edited:

FreebieBoy34

It depends upon the situation actually. If it's personal, getting a like means that someone appreciates what you have posted online. If it's business-related, then it means that getting many likes will somehow give an impression that the business is credible or reputable. Hence, giving a boost to the brand's reputation and paving way for more customers to come in the process...:)

kathyclark_sams

There nothing Facebook likes helps search engines. Google never see how many your page have likes. It’s just a product and brand exposure.

In November 2015 Google has come to an agreement with Facebook to crawl, index and rank public Facebook profiles. This means that most public profiles that are highly active on Facebook will likely start showing up in Google search. Also, Google can crawl public Facebook business and fan pages but the robot cannot crawl individual posts or updates

Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.