Copying content from wikipedia?

Markadler

Is copying content from wikipedia for our own blog is a good or bad idea?
Are you wanting to make a duplicated site like wikipedia?

Or just copying content from whatever sites that you don't own that content then it was a bad idea unless you copied and showing which source you copied from, it can be acceptable but not encourage doing that.

ulterios

You can copy some of the information but I wouldn't go and copy it word for word!

Besides looking cheap and spammy your site will probably lose credibility.

Some is fine but just don't go copying entire pages and pasting them on your site. ;)

semidot

sometimes when we explain about any thing then we need to use Wikipedia content because it seems simple and effective. If you are describing to someone through Wikipedia then there is no problem to use Wikipedia content. But keep remember in mind that here we need to give contribution tag at last in the content part.
If someone use Wikipedia content for copying then it will not work and it will punish you like a spam character.

hrishivardhan

Copying whole content from anywhere is the bed Idea. you should use some part of the content by giving them the credit. but using them as a whole content will give you very basass results.

So forget about copying content from others and try to make and use your own original content. it will surely gives you good benefits.

FreebieBoy34

Hi there! Copying content from other website is always a bad idea. Unless of course, if you have Wikipedia's permission to quote a portion of their contents in your site. I guess the best thing you can do is to explain the idea in your own words and cite Wikipedia as one of your sources. Aside from that, you can also talk in brief about the topic you want to share and place a outbound link going to Wikipedia if your readers wants to expound more on the info...

Hope this helps!:)

vishwa

You can quote any Wikipedia lines in your blog or use it as reference to your article. Copying the whole article will be consider as duplicate content and it will not help you.

SamanthaBrey82

Just copying a portion is alright if you're using it for reference. I use authority content on one of my sites, and I use the quotation method in Wordpress to quote certain sections. It hasn't appeared to hurt any of my rankings, although it usually isn't a ton of content. Maybe 100-150 words max.

The site I use quoted content on is a news related blog, so I quote sources, but they are usually brief, like 1 paragraph in length.

EpicGlobalWeb

I don't know why everybody is saying not to copy from Wikipedia. Generally, that's a bad idea but is it really duplicate content?

Remember, Wikipedia changes and updates its content all the time. The content that was on Wikipedia for popular topics last month probably isn't there this month or has been altered in some way. If you copy it today, and keep it that way, eventually it wont be duplicate just by natural course of time and user contributions.

Just a thought.

StasVa

If your page was indexed after Wikipedia page (or any else). So for Google your text is not unique, that's mean it's no necessity in your page in the index.
If you use a part or a quote from wikipedia article in your post. That's not a big deal. But generally the article must be as unique as possible.

matthecool

Copy a small amount and also good practise is to quote and reference where you got the content from.

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.