Webmaster Sun Login
Not a member yet? Sign up

Is it a good idea to have social group for an online blog?

• HOME
  • FORUMS
  • BLOGS
  • MARKETPLACE
  • ADVERTISING
  • SPECIAL OFFERS
  • WEB HOSTING
  • QUICK MENU
  • REGISTER HERE - Join us for FREE
    Stick this thread
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 52/0
    Given: 598/2
    Thanks

Is it a good idea to have social group for an online blog?

As title says it at all. If I manage an online blog in the form of a site toward making money online, is it advisable to have a social group Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn etc.) for the blog? It sounds little bit odd with fair bit of irony to create another group to promote a blog, isn't it? On one side, people might start using the group instead of the forum, on the other hand, it might reach a wider audience where we can promote the blog on the social groups.

It is a good idea? Any thought?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Marc van Leeuwen For This Useful Post:
    centurion (08-22-2017)

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 366/0
    Given: 26/0
    Thanks
    When first starting out I would use a Facebook group over a forum. Keep the group public and you may just get some extra traffic to your blog from it. Use the group to answer reader questions.

Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 164/0
    Given: 106/0
    Thanks
    Here is the big question you should ask yourself... Can you be bothered to manage such a group? If not then you need to investigate alternatives... Bottom line - its all about targeted traffic whether you invest endless hours trying to get it organically or from ads being the quickest... Or perhaps a combination... On my part I tend to choose the path of least work - that is if your ultimate aim is about making money online... If not then go for the social media with reaching out and making connections...

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 26/0
    Given: 0/0
    Thanks
    Hi there! My opinion on this is to go for it IF you have resources! You see, you have to spend additional effort on your part just o manage such a group. So if you are up to the challenge, then why not. But if I were you, then I would seek out other methods of gaining traffic. And social media would be the best option to go as previously stated by other members in their replies. You just have to determine where your target market thrives in (FB, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube) and once you do that the rest is history...

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0
    Thanks
    I think it's ok to have social profile for your site, helps with rankings and they bring traffic, targeted traffic. Even if the group that you make will be more active that the forum for example, groups can be monetized also.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0
    Given: 2/0
    Thanks
    Your blog fan page is kind of weird but very useful, for promoting your blog in a web (seo), but also to get more traffic. It's always worth.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks
    I think it's a very interesting - and useful - idea because it offers a better communication between / among the members who participate in the blog. This an extremely important aspect to keep any social media platform alive. Without interaction between / among the members there is no way to evolve.

But the question that has to be asked is with regard to the group management (because managing a blog by itself is not so easy most of the time), so... This turns out to be a very personal choice. However, I reiterate that it's something very valid to be done.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Whisonant View Post
    When first starting out I would use a Facebook group over a forum. Keep the group public and you may just get some extra traffic to your blog from it. Use the group to answer reader questions.
    Is there any difference between Group and Page on Facebook? It seems to me that Facebook Page is more suitable than Group. Do you think that?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 366/0
    Given: 26/0
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Techrev View Post
    Is there any difference between Group and Page on Facebook? It seems to me that Facebook Page is more suitable than Group. Do you think that?
    A page is best for passing information on to the people that like the page. A group is more like a forum. They are used for member discussions. So a group would be your best choice.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 9/0
    Thanks
    Rob,

As usual, great advice here. I am all about the extra traffic--although, I find that I have to be more and more creative every day in order to get it...

Also, I think it is a great idea to establish a strong social media support group before you launch your blog, site, or business. Generating this kind of initial support is a positive way to get more traffic flowing to your sites, and it alos shows other new potential interested parties that people consider what you are doing to be viable.
    Last edited by ulterios; 08-17-2017 at 02:22 AM.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 5/0
    Given: 4/0
    Thanks
    You are right, it's both odd and contradictory. However, you can take a reverse approach.
    Build a social group first on similar topic, allow sharing of outside resources also (of same niche), and also promote your own blog alongside. It will result in great outreach!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks
    Its a great idea to have a social media group for an online blog. in order to go about this successfully in my opinion, the blogger should first create awareness on the product idea or the overall review of the concept of the blog on the group, this is important because the it avails the blogger the opportunity to sell his ideas and at the same time measure feedback and responds from the group.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 51/1
    Given: 38/0
    Thanks
    I think that the idea itself is very good because it's quite easy to simply make a social group on Facebook. I don't think that it's hard to manage it either but you can always promote people to mods if needed or if you don't have the time to moderate it.

So, I would personally go for a Facebook group over a forum or something similar due to its ease of managing.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks
    People usually like having groups of something they like, it really depends on the content you're posting and if it can attract an audience that can become fans of your work. If you're just trying to sell something then it might not be the best idea, but if you're creating something that's unique then sure why not, and of course you'll need a decent following to create a group that would have some amount of activity.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 7/0
    Given: 135/0
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc van Leeuwen View Post
    As title says it at all. If I manage an online blog in the form of a site toward making money online, is it advisable to have a social group Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn etc.) for the blog? It sounds little bit odd with fair bit of irony to create another group to promote a blog, isn't it? On one side, people might start using the group instead of the forum, on the other hand, it might reach a wider audience where we can promote the blog on the social groups.

It is a good idea? Any thought?
    This is a great idea for generating traffic to your blog from a largest social media group. It will also a beautiful technique if your every post will go online social group every time and you will get traffic from the social group members and also from their share.

Thanks
    Centurion

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 5/0
    Thanks
    This is just my personal experience but your going to have more people on your Facebook group then you will your blog. Because people on Facebook only want to do one thing and that is stay on Facebook. And they will most likely not even bother to go to your blog and only read the updates in your Facebook group.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Thanks
    Yes, I believe it is a really good idea. Not only will you have automatic people to read and comment on your blogs, you also have potential automatic customer for advertisements you share in your site. One of the great things for this too is the amount of traffic it can bring to your website, which means increasing your rankings in search engines. I say go through with it.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 8/1
    Given: 1/0
    Thanks
    I think it is a good idea, but the thing is that, you need to be sure that your blog is somehow related to the group you intent to be in. It reall does help the traffic of your blog too. I'm basing from what I experience few years back. Goodluck with your future endeavor!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks
    Making another community aside from your blog forum like in Facebook community and making it public might attract more and other people to see and know more about your blog. Do not think of it as creating something better than the other instead let them both hand in hand for your benefit.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Given: 1/0
    Thanks
    Having a social group may or may not send you a lot of traffic, but...

There are 2 other definite advantages of having your own social group or forum:

1. Branding. A lot more people will get to know you and your blog, even if they never visit it.

2. You can use the group as a feedback mechanism when you want to create products (or even if you just want to go look for affiliate products to offer to your list) - because your group will tell you what they need help with.
    Last edited by pjprins; 09-13-2017 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Added signature

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks
    Yes it is good idea to have a Facebook group related to your blog. You can share your blog link and get traffic from group. If people like your post they will even add their friends to your group so more member means more traffic.
    I suggest if you do a contest every week or month in your group more member will come to your group and you post the contest result on your blog in this way you can get some more traffic.
    Social marketing is good idea to get a lot of traffic.

Newer Threads

1. Nemanja
    WeWatchYourWebsite
    Replies: 16 | Views: 1932
    Last post by WeWatchYourWebsite, 10-10-2017, 02:09 PM
  2. Skoyal
    hansophie
    Replies: 3 | Views: 752
    Last post by hansophie, 11-22-2016, 02:31 AM
  3. dinuanzz
    elitecarcosmetics
    Replies: 26 | Views: 3749