What do you know about hostgator's shared plan?

gopackers

Hi guys,

I have a wordpress website hosted by hostgator shared plan (baby). My server response time is usually about 0.8~0.9s, but sometimes it is 12s....so this is really weird, is this my website problem or my server problem?

Thank you very much!

Marc van Leeuwen

Premium Member
I have a wordpress website hosted by hostgator shared plan (baby). My server response time is usually about 0.8~0.9s, but sometimes it is 12s....so this is really weird, is this my website problem or my server problem?
It depends on the quality of your hosting, if it is stable and quality then your server response time will be good and never change any times.

I would not go with Hostgator, I used it some years ago but their support was low and sometimes downtimes happened.

I chose a VPS plan on this forum https://www.webmastersun.com/forums/131-VPS-Hosting-Offers and using for my blog sites. Its running pretty good. You should select a managed VPS with cPanel/WHM, you will not care such problems any more.

gopackers

I tested two different themes speed on gtmetrix. I came to a conclusion that maybe it is because the theme I'm using is slow........

Thank you, I will take a look!

Anarojas

just try to optimise your blog ie leverage caching, optimise images, low jawa script use in website, if you are using wordpress you can use w3 total cache its help you to boost your website speed.

Rob Whisonant

The key word here is "shared". You are on a server with a LOT of other people and their websites. When one or more get a lot of traffic or use a lot of server resources, all the sites on the shared server slow down.

Many hosts put way to many accounts on a single server. That's why they can sell them so cheap.

Collabora

Hi guys,

Thank you very much!
Might be a plugin issue. Check for bad plugins with P3 Profiler (google it - can't post links yet)

We have found that these plugins are resource hogs:

Spyder Spanker
Contextual Related Posts
WordFence (Due to Live Scanning)
Yet Another Featured Posts Plugin
Yet Another Related Posts Plugin
Fuzzy SEO Booster
All in One SEO Pack
WordPress SEO - Yoast
Similar Posts
WP Automatic
WP-PostViews
WP Missed Schedule
WP Slimstat
WP Symposium
WP Statistics
jr-referrer
SEO Auto Links & Related Posts
UpdraftPlus
Backup Scheduler
BackUpWordPress
BackWPup
BackupBuddy
Duplicator
Online Backup for WordPress
CodeTree Backup
EZPZ One Click Backup
WP-DB-Backup
WP Database Optimizer
WP-phpMyAdmin
WP-DBManager
Adminer
Portable phpMyAdmin
WordPress Gzip Compression
WP File Cache
WP Super Cache
Quick Cache

vishwa

Hostgator have very low CPU usage limit for their shared hosting plan. if you have a website with good amount of visitors and need web space than you Hostgator shared hosting plan is not your option. I have seen most of the users complain that hostgator suspended their for high CPU usage.

Ron Killian

I agree shared is a good reason, or least part of the problem.

Also that Hostgator is owned by EIG.

HG use to be good, several years ago, before they got bought out.

SenseiSteve

I agree with others here that Hostgator used to be a decent provider, but since their acquisition by EIG, their support has deteriorated terribly. Like Collabora said, plugins can be resource hogs as well. I'd still keep WordFence, but turn off live scanning.

Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.