Webmaster Sun Login
Not a member yet? Sign up

Is it lame if adding a "Buy me a Coffee" or "Donation" button on your blog?

• HOME
  • FORUMS
  • BLOGS
  • MARKETPLACE
  • ADVERTISING
  • SPECIAL OFFERS
  • WEB HOSTING
  • QUICK MENU
  • REGISTER HERE - Join us for FREE
    Stick this thread
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 11/0
    Given: 135/0
    Thanks

Is it lame if adding a "Buy me a Coffee" or "Donation" button on your blog?

I am planning to add a "Buy me a Coffee!" or "Donation" button on my blog, with a decent traffic I think it can generate a little money from donations and a couple days after I did it, I went to my site, looked at it and second guessed myself. Should I stray from the "Donation" buttons? Is it distasteful? Or, do you do it too?
    Please share your thoughts!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0
    Given: 0/0
    Thanks
    I think it is better to promote affiliate products than ask for direct donations.
    That is just my personal opinion, though.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 343/0
    Given: 26/0
    Thanks
    Do you want your site to be considered a hobby or a business?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0
    Thanks
    You would have more success adding advertising space to your blog if it has good traffic. But I don't see any issues with adding a donate/coffee button. I really don't know how successful those are.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks
    Try with some adsense/affiliate, this way you may get more than your donations you are expecting i guess...btw the adsense/affiliate depends on the blog niche and how well you site has content and traffic! Good luck

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 39/1
    Given: 330/0
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dopani View Post
    I am planning to add a "Buy me a Coffee!" or "Donation" button on my blog, with a decent traffic I think it can generate a little money from donations and a couple days after I did it, I went to my site, looked at it and second guessed myself. Should I stray from the "Donation" buttons? Is it distasteful? Or, do you do it too?
    Donations are just one of earning money online methods, if you have a decent website with high traffic, you can at that button on your site to get a little money but this didn't work effectively as selling ads, affiliates or selling products directly to your visitors.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 18/0
    Given: 3/0
    Thanks
    It's not effective. I would suggest you focus on other methods like affiliate marketing like someone suggested. I know putting a donations button looks tempting but I think there's much better options out there.

But, the best way for you to see how it works for you is to try it out. You'll never know unless you test it. Just know that if you're not producing an insane amount of traffic daily, people who donate may only do so once or not at all.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 340/7
    Given: 62/9
    Thanks
    I always wondered how well, or if that tactic worked. I know an old time Internet marketer who used that for years. No clue if it made him money.

Hoping some one would reply that has tried it.

Wonder if it looks more desperate?
    Your own Product, Content, Email Messages and More Easily: Private Label Rights

PLR Affiliate Program Promote over 5,000 PLR and MRR Products. Super targeted linking.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks
    Maybe if you write something like "If you want to help keep this website ads free, please donate...."

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 35/1
    Given: 15/0
    Thanks
    It depends on the niche, I think.

For example, if you're in something like the B2B industry then no, it won't fly.. it will make you look unprofessional and desperate.

However if you're in a niche that depends on you digging into your own pocket, or making sacrifices for the benefit of your readers, then it's acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Killian View Post
    I always wondered how well, or if that tactic worked. I know an old time Internet marketer who used that for years. No clue if it made him money.

Hoping some one would reply that has tried it.

Wonder if it looks more desperate?
    I've done this with one of my sites and it works fairly well.. it's in a political niche, so a lot of advertisers stay away, but my readers are passionate and eager to support something that reflects, and stands up for their values and beliefs.

A friend in the same niche generated $500,000 in donations, the first month he started asking.. while someone I occasionally work with generates around $1 million per year in donations.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mick M For This Useful Post:
    harrygreen90 (05-25-2017),jyy (05-24-2017)

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 6/0
    Given: 2/0
    Thanks
    I think it will create more appeal if you partner with a relatively medium scaled company that has the same niche as yours. I doubt that it will work long term if you are a business starter without partner. You will really need a little help at some point. Good luck and cheers!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 21/0
    Given: 5/0
    Thanks
    I think you should not add a Donation to your blog. Like the others say, you should use affiliate or ad ads banners...

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 85/3
    Given: 108/2
    Thanks
    If you always give free products/services on your blog then you can do it. Otherwise you should not do it, instead of that, placing an adsense or affiliate products is a better way.
    Godaddy Renewal Coupon 27% Off on Domain Renewal Price
    eCoupon.io - Cheap coupons for Domain, Hosting and VPS server

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 18/0
    Given: 1/0
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dopani View Post
    If it's a literary site, which by its nature seems to exist for education purpose, adding a "Donate" or "Buy me a coffee" button is perfectly okay.

However, if you are in a niche, where nobody uses such buttons but rather indulges in marketing their own or affiliate products, then it's not a good idea to add such buttons in the first place. It harms your reputation. Your audience doesn't want someone who asks for a cup of coffee but rather boldly stands up and charges for their consulting fee.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 11/0
    Given: 135/0
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hynds View Post
    If you always give free products/services on your blog then you can do it. Otherwise you should not do it, instead of that, placing an adsense or affiliate products is a better way.
    It is a good advice and I saw more bloggers or website owners are doing this way.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 15/0
    Given: 5/0
    Thanks
    I think it's a fine way to make money. However, though, I'm not the online begging type. I'd rather get them to buy a product or click on Adsense. Also, I'd rather have a situation where a few of my passionate websites would be for free, not even asking for donations, but a few other ones, mainly ones in niches that are not a hobby for me, would be for-profit and would run commercial materal.

Anyway, as someone suggested, asking for donations is fine for some, but in my case, putting a donation button seems like a desperation move - unless, of course, it was some charity website, like something to fight cancer etc..

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 183/3
    Given: 96/1
    Thanks
    Donations works great with Non profit organization or businesses. Since your website have decent traffic, You should consider to use AdSense or any other affiliate programs like CJ, Shareasale, Clickbank etc. You can also opt for CPA programs like Peerfly.
    Imbloggingtips- Internet Marketing Blog.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 4/0
    Given: 19/0
    Thanks
    I think a button donation is always a good thing to have on your website. There's people that could legitimately enjoy what your writing and give you an incentive to keep up the good work. In fact there are websites with no donation button that get e-mails from people who want to send them money. The only thing you need to be careful is overbloating your site with it, since it could fo the wrong way with your regular users.

Actually, the buy me a coffee button is a great alternative idea, and might incentivate possible donors, specially if you have a blog.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks
    I only put donate if I am going to send that money off to charity. Just seems a bit distasteful, but then again, it is what your audience is comfortable with.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 7/0
    Thanks

Talking

It really depends on what you offer your users and how close you are to them are they now in love with the type of content you share with them, do you really teach them what they want?

if so then that's not a big deal, but you don't have to depend on that because most times donations are not done every day by
    Users, so that should just be in terms of money to maintain the site...

You can still promote affiliates programs in the site And get yourself some cool cash to make you blog a better place, thanks hope this helps

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 5/0
    Thanks
    It looks like everyone has good opinions on the subject. You could use a donation button, the worst thing that can happen is people ignore it. You might also send people to your Amazon wishlist to buy you things you really need. If you do this, make sure to put items under $10 as well as more expensive items.

You could also work out arrangements with vendors to send you samples of their products in return for reviews on your blog. Just another idea.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 9/0
    Thanks
    There is a lot of great advice here. When I first started, I was tempted to add a donation link to my blogs, but I trusted my instinct and did not. A general rule of thumb is to ask yourself how you would react to something on your page, and I think that a donation area tends to turn me off a bit. We all have to work for a living and provide others with useful services to get paid. I can can ask my buddy to buy me a coffee--not my customers.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0
    Thanks
    It really depends on the type of blog you have. If it's a personal blog, where you usually post your own stories or photos for example and people are on the website for something that you deliver to them that is your own, there sure why not, it's not really a bad idea to get supported like that and I'm sure that they wouldn't mind it, however if you have a professionally business oriented blog, then it might not be stylish to add such a button, because people wouldn't expect to tip a business.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 9/0
    Thanks
    I agree--I think that is smarter to use the space on your blog or pages to run tasteful ads or to promote products and services. If your are running an ad in one spot, and then asking for money in another, it seems to me that this is a bit too much for your target audience. Maybe most people don't mind, but is a "cup of coffee" donation worth losing even ONE possible customer who would pay much more for your product or offered service?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 5/0
    Given: 4/0
    Thanks
    Every people like to help other but in term of money people generally don't like when they don't have too much money. Before making any donation, people think to fulfill their needs and wishes. As above my friends suggest it better to have display ads on your website rather than any such button.

Newer Threads

1. CyberAlchemist
    Unknown
    Replies: 4 | Views: 955
    Last post by Unknown, 08-01-2017, 09:56 AM
  2. Rodney Olson
    vishwa
    Replies: 1 | Views: 344
    Last post by vishwa, 01-01-2017, 08:29 AM
  3. Rodney Olson
    vishwa
    Replies: 2 | Views: 396