Rackspace vs Digitalocean

harrygreen90

Does anyone have a recent experience with Rackspace or Digital ocean? my websites are needing a strong VPS or cloud hosting to handle its traffic. I am wondering if anyone had a good or bad experience with either of the two?

vishwa

I didn't know much about both of them. But as you are looking for a good and reliable VPS hosting, I can suggest you to use Liquidweb. They are one of the best VPS hosting providers and have good reputation. The price are same as Rackspace and DigitalOcean.

Rob Whisonant

I use Digital Ocean and have had a good experience with them.

But, if you use them you better be a geek. You have to install the OS and all core software yourself. You are also 100% responsible for keeping it updated.

Localnode

You're comparing apples to oranges.
DO is a VPS provider while Rackspace is a managed provider.

Riviera

Digital Ocean ! This is one the most recommended VPS, bro.
I'm in asia, many of my friends use digital ocean. They have good experiences.

Anarojas

Digitalocean i recommend which i used just you need to manage ownself or by cloudways or serverpilot it works perfect :)

SenseiSteve

Does anyone have a recent experience with Rackspace or Digital ocean? my websites are needing a strong VPS or cloud hosting to handle its traffic. I am wondering if anyone had a good or bad experience with either of the two?
First question would be, "Do you need a managed service?"

Harry P

I have seen many recommendations from bloggers to Digital Ocean
Maybe they have good affiliate program and cheap price. I used servers at DO but their loading speed is average.

Digitalocean i recommend which i used just you need to manage ownself or by cloudways or serverpilot it works perfect :)
Both providers cloudways and serverpilot i have not ever heard about them, what features do you like best when hosting your site on their servers?

harrygreen90

I didn't know much about both of them. But as you are looking for a good and reliable VPS hosting, I can suggest you to use Liquidweb. They are one of the best VPS hosting providers and have good reputation. The price are same as Rackspace and DigitalOcean.
Never heard about Liquidweb before, I will try to check them out.

I use Digital Ocean and have had a good experience with them.

But, if you use them you better be a geek. You have to install the OS and all core software yourself. You are also 100% responsible for keeping it updated.
Are you talking about an unmanaged hosting serice?
I am learning web hosting and could setup and configure somethings on my own VPS.

I know but they are also provider web hosting services.

Why they Digital Ocean? did DO have better offers or marketing?

Rob Whisonant

Rob Whisonant
It's completely unmanaged plus you even have to install the operating system you want to use. You basically get an IP address, disk space and telnet access to your space. You have to then install the operating system, software, scripts etc. If you want a control panel you have to install that also.

You then have to totally manage it on your own. If you have a problem or a hacker, it's your problem to deal with.

Localnode

Never heard about Liquidweb before, I will try to check them out.
They are also a managed provider on the same level as Rackspace. Price reflects it.

Are you talking about an unmanaged hosting serice?
Digital Ocean is purely unmanaged.
I am learning web hosting and could setup and configure somethings on my own VPS.
There's plenty of guides.

I know but they are also provider web hosting services.
Both are at very different price levels and service levels. Which is why it's apples and oranges.

harrygreen90

It's completely unmanaged plus you even have to install the operating system you want to use. You basically get an IP address, disk space and telnet access to your space. You have to then install the operating system, software, scripts etc. If you want a control panel you have to install that also.

You then have to totally manage it on your own. If you have a problem or a hacker, it's your problem to deal with.
I know this and if it looks what you are saying then I need to learn web hosting security too. :)

I use Digital Ocean for my hosting company. Never had any issues with them and the speeds are great.
What package are you using form DO? Is it a high memory droplet?

christax

How Rackspace can compare with Digital ocean? DO is more popular and well-know. I used their service and they can give you good hosting service.

Agreed but if you hire a sysadmin then both are the same thing.

Older threads
Replies
Views
jyy
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies