Is new member avatar really required?

Johnstax

Hi - I just signed up, and see the message about "Our forum requires each member to upload their own avatar as without one we will disable your account when reviewed".

But when I go to the avatar upload page - the very first option is "Don't use an avatar". And I see that many users don't have avatars.

I don't have one. I'd end up uploading some random, meaningless, pointless, image. So, considering "don't use one" is an option offered by the system, is it actually required or not?

Thanks.

wms

Administrator
Staff member
Hi John, welcome to Webmaster Sun!

Hi - I just signed up, and see the message about "Our forum requires each member to upload their own avatar as without one we will disable your account when reviewed".

But when I go to the avatar upload page - the very first option is "Don't use an avatar". And I see that many users don't have avatars.
It is optional and not really required to have an avatar on each account but it is always better if a member has an avatar for their profile.

For instance, on Facebook, if you don't use any your images then how your friends will realize you or it is hard for them to know about you.
Unless you use it for another purposes.

It is an efficient way for me to test a new member will care what our forum is requiring or not. It is easy to realize an auto machine comes the forum and posting spams, they will not read this notice and feel "annoy" "consume more time" to upload an avatar.

If you join the forum for discussions and you don't want to use an avatar, that's not a problem, that's why you can see other people didn't use an avatar.

I don't have one. I'd end up uploading some random, meaningless, pointless, image. So, considering "don't use one" is an option offered by the system, is it actually required or not?

Thanks.
Not really required but as said above, it depends on you and your choice
Also, because you read this notice and had an interesting question :icon_mrgreen:

Cheers,

ulterios

Hi John, as stated about it's not really required but I would highly recommend it for many reasons.

An avatar will help people take what you say more seriously as it looks more professional and can help people realize that you are real also. Lots of spammers and people that are just looking to post and go won't use an avatar for several reasons. Having one helps a bit with trust with people and that can go a long way to helping you achieve whatever you are looking to achieve.

It can also because it can help brand you as well. If people see your avatar and recognize it then they can start to trust and believe in you and what you say more.

There are many reasons why it is a good idea to have an avatar but if you prefer not to have one then that's your decision and we will honor that choice of course.

Cheers. ;)

Ron Killian

I think it's a GREAT idea.

I agree with you guys, might mean they are a little more serious and might actual contribute to the forum.

Be even better if they used their real picture. And no more fake hot girls :)

Also think it would be better to have a picture, rather than the images that are more ads than an avatar.

Wyvh

Actually, I find this requirement legit. Whichever forum I was managing, I really disliked the fact that members could register and just introduce themselves without taking 30 seconds to upload and avatar. That's almost rude.

Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
joe
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies