What is a good Alexa traffic rank?

Liam

I started a blog a couple of months ago and it is starting to get better Alexa rankings. I don't know what is considered a good Alexa traffic rank though. Whilst I understand that an Alexa rank is not too important I keep having other bloggers ask me what my Alexa rank is. I don't know what is considered good and what is not good at all. Does anyone know what is a good alexa traffic rank?

Ron Killian

All its worth is something to brag about to people who don't know better.

Others asking you for it, either don't know any better, or even though it is not accurate, it can be some what a gauge of whether a site has any traffic or any reach.

My best guess :)

Mick M

It can be massively gamed.. there's no way to tell how accurate a site's popularity is until you start reaching very low numbers on there.

I'll give you an example.. for an experiment I took a brand new website (the domain name had only been purchased the day before)...

So, no traffic, no social media presence.. nothing.

Then entirely through but manipulation, I shot that website into the top 400,000 websites over the course of a few days.

Just to make sure it wasn't a fluke, I did it again on an older domain name.

The stats are untrustworthy.

I used to be proud that one of my sites hit the top 30k (without manipulation)... and other big names in that niche are at a similar number, but realistically it means nothing apart from the constant flood of advertising companies who promise high CPM rates in exchange for ad space.

And most of those guys are lying anyway.

Last edited:

Contentgather

As the others have said....it's not all that accurate and is easily manipulated.

I'd say that's true unless you're highly ranked. Once you start to crack the top 100,000, it gets harder to manipulate. I'd argue that it's pretty accurate for very, very high traffic sites though.

ulterios

I wouldn't worry too much about what your Alexa ranking is but more importantly what the traffic numbers are and the rankings of your site unless you are selling advertising spots on your site since for some reason some advertisers see that as important.

vishwa

I usually do not bother with my Alexa ranking. Alexa only provides you a rough estimated data of your site traffic. Which is not precise and accurate. Alexa also does not reflect your ranking in Search engines. So, it is a misconception among bloggers. I also haven't a great alexa rank but my blog perform well in Google.

Liam

All its worth is something to brag about to people who don't know better.

Others asking you for it, either don't know any better, or even though it is not accurate, it can be some what a gauge of whether a site has any traffic or any reach.

My best guess :)
So should I disregard what it is no matter what?

It can be massively gamed.. there's no way to tell how accurate a site's popularity is until you start reaching very low numbers on there.
What's considered a low number?

As the others have said....it's not all that accurate and is easily manipulated.

I'd say that's true unless you're highly ranked. Once you start to crack the top 100,000, it gets harder to manipulate. I'd argue that it's pretty accurate for very, very high traffic sites though.
So then anything above 100,000 is more easily manipulated?

I wouldn't worry too much about what your Alexa ranking is but more importantly what the traffic numbers are and the rankings of your site unless you are selling advertising spots on your site since for some reason some advertisers see that as important.
I was not really worried about it but why people seem to ask about it often. It seems like a bragging thing.

Alexa also does not reflect your ranking in Search engines. So, it is a misconception among bloggers.
Then why do bloggers worry about it if it doesn't matter really? Just to brag?

vishwa

vishwa
I think it would be better if you personally contact those bloggers and ask them Why they are looking for Alexa Rank. I can't tell anything behalf or about them. One of friend has very poor Alexa rank but his site ranks well in Google. So, I think I will prefer Google Rankings instead of Alexa Ranking.

Ron Killian

Mostly likely they ask because that is what they heard, or were told to look for.

Like I said, it can be some what of a gauge for traffic, so maybe that is why?

scottkoz20

when I first took over a website about 14 months ago, I drank the Alexa kool-aid as the site was inside the top 250k and this was with some declining numbers (it was in the top 100k a couple year earlier), so I bought into the fact that this is a good indicator. However, in the last 14 months, my user activity has increased and the Alexa ranking until recently dove into lower than 450k (now its back in the top 250k).

To illustrate this point, look at my numbers at a 10 day period from Dec. 29 to Jan.7 (first column is the rank, the second is the increase per day)

January 7th 295,691 22,318
January 6th 318,009 18,258
January 5th 336,267 13,918
January 4th 350,185 12,752
January 3rd 362,937 26,351
January 2nd 389,288 9,473
January 1st 398,761 17,525
December 31st 416,286 27,939
December 30th 444,225 14,258
December 29th 458,483 N/A

I did not do much work to the site, except clean up some dormant items; but nothing that should have caused my number to skyrocket like this. So, IMO, it is an "indicator", maybe??, but not much more than that.

Liam

I think it would be better if you personally contact those bloggers and ask them Why they are looking for Alexa Rank. I can't tell anything behalf or about them. One of friend has very poor Alexa rank but his site ranks well in Google. So, I think I will prefer Google Rankings instead of Alexa Ranking.
You are right. I think that the google rank is more important also. I just keep hearing about Alexa but that might be because they don't not know it doesn't make the difference that google ranking does. Thanks

Mostly likely they ask because that is what they heard, or were told to look for.

Like I said, it can be some what of a gauge for traffic, so maybe that is why?
I was reading earlier that Alexa ranking and it's importance is a common misconception with new bloggers and people that are unfamiliar with it's lack of importance these days. That might be why they worry about it.

When you get inside the top 100k you're doing well.. like others have said it's harder to manipulate when you're at that level.
Then the better the Alexa rank then the more likely it is closer to being accurate?

when I first took over a website about 14 months ago, I drank the Alexa kool-aid as the site was inside the top 250k and this was with some declining numbers (it was in the top 100k a couple year earlier), so I bought into the fact that this is a good indicator. However, in the last 14 months, my user activity has increased and the Alexa ranking until recently dove into lower than 450k (now its back in the top 250k).
450k to 250k is quite an improvement. Was it easy to notice the traffic increase on your website?

So, IMO, it is an "indicator", maybe??, but not much more than that.
That seems to be what many people use it for based on some things I have seen.

scottkoz20

there was not really increase in the traffic to the site - it was relatively flat in regards to pageviews, users connected, number of sessions when I look at my analytics

Liam

Liam
Well I guess that shows that Alexa rankings and real traffic are not one in the same. I would think that with that much of a jump you would see a noticeable increase.

That kind of proves that Alexa doesn't mean much other that a number.

schttrj

I started a blog a couple of months ago and it is starting to get better Alexa rankings. I don't know what is considered a good Alexa traffic rank though. Whilst I understand that an Alexa rank is not too important I keep having other bloggers ask me what my Alexa rank is. I don't know what is considered good and what is not good at all. Does anyone know what is a good alexa traffic rank?
First of all, the market veterans say NOT to trust Alexa. She is a lying <fill in the blanks>.

That being said, we can always try to measure the number of people flocking to your site on a daily basis. Or in other words, a BUSY site.

Do you know what the Alexa rank of this forum is? It is around 146K. And you can see that there is much activity going on here.

From my experience, below 500K is a pretty good Alexa rank to aim for. If you see one with Alexa rank in the millions, you can assume that it is not getting enough traffic.

HostaPolis

Alexa isn't relevant any more, at least not to me. I rarely see mentions of it on webmaster forums or marketplaces, it just isn't a useful variable any more.

Simon Baker

How does alexa rankings work? I understand a bit about google rankings but no idea how alexa connects the dots.

sarthakk

I guess Alexa ranking around 100,000 is good, but maintaining the level of that traffic is a hard one. Your site should be well maintained in order to keep with the increasing market trends and have to regular update the site content.

Hugo E.

Hugo E.
100K Alexa rank is good but to maintain Alexa ranking with new and updated content is total wrong, Alexa still calculate rankings based on number of visitors coming your site daily.

olaryeankarh

I stopped believing in Alexa traffic rank the day I found out that they can be manipulated (bought). People sometimes run paid hits to their website just to deceive alexa rankings and you see a quick sprout in the numbers. Well, one cannot tell "who is who" anymore.
Before now, it used to be an important requirement for advertisers looking to place adverts on people's websites. But now, I simply ignore any advertiser asking for that because it is complete BS.

harrygreen90

harrygreen90
Obviously Alexa rank didn't tell you exactly how much traffic on your site but more people didn't know any better tools to see traffic of a website so they went with Alexa and believe it can help a bit.

markwalbarg

When i buy posts or looking for quest posting, i choose sites with 100K Alexa rank.

Older threads
Replies
Views
Jen
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.