What is a good Wordpress banner size?

Liam

I'm trying to optimize my Wordpress blog to both look good and load fast. I'm trying to optimize all the images and banners on my blog but don't know what would be a good combination of "Looks Good" and "Loads Quick". In your opinion what is a good Wordpress banner size?

EDIT: I am talking about the actual pixel size and the file size.

Last edited:

Ron Killian

I am guessing you mean file size?

No one can answer that. Depends on the image. Type of image, ect.

There are plenty of compression tools and plugins that will do it for you.

Best size is the smallest file sizes with the image still looking good.

Zack

If you are talking about the actual size in pixels I don't know what would be the best size because the theme can make a difference. You just don't want to get one that is too small so that it makes the page look bad. Just don't go to big either.

Sorry I don't have an exact size.

Liam

I am guessing you mean file size?
I was meaning both actually. Sorry about that.

If you are talking about the actual size in pixels I don't know what would be the best size because the theme can make a difference. You just don't want to get one that is too small so that it makes the page look bad. Just don't go to big either.

Sorry I don't have an exact size.
I was interested in both but size in pixels is something that I am trying to figure out what's best so that it looks good to site guests.

Ron Killian

Ya it depends on the image and image type. Impossible to answer.

As for actual sizes, common sizes for blogs are 250x250, 300x250, 300x300, 728x90. Featured images are often 600 or 300 wide.

Reactions: Liam

Liam

Liam
I think that these sizes will help. I saw somewhere else that some of the same ones that you listed are the more common ones.

The images that I usually use are PNG format. I have read that this format makes it easier for them to be responsive,

Thanks for the help.

Empire

Helpful tip if you know already then that's good.

Have the file size as small as you can, Not too big as it tends to eat the servers and will make the website load slower for the visitors. Most size I tend to use is 728x90 as what google does also.

Marc van Leeuwen

Premium Member
but don't know what would be a good combination of "Looks Good" and "Loads Quick". In your opinion what is a good Wordpress banner size?
Using "save for web" may be a great solution for "Looks Good" and "Loads Quick" for your banner when it is displayed on the webs.

Helpful tip if you know already then that's good.

Have the file size as small as you can, Not too big as it tends to eat the servers
Of crouse but it you have a great hosting server and optimized you will not need to care about how it affect to loading speed of your website. You can use whatever size on your blogs/sites as wanted.

and will make the website load slower for the visitors. Most size I tend to use is 728x90 as what google does also.
Yes 728x90 is always preferred for visitors when they are viewing a web page because it is pretty large and make visitors pay more attentions to the banner ad.

Liam

Have the file size as small as you can, Not too big as it tends to eat the servers and will make the website load slower for the visitors. Most size I tend to use is 728x90 as what google does also.
Are you talking about too big as for file size or dimensions?

Using "save for web" may be a great solution for "Looks Good" and "Loads Quick" for your banner when it is displayed on the webs.
Thanks for the tip Marc. :D

kim16

Banner sizes differ from one wordpress theme to another. Check out the size of you placeholder first so you can decide on the appropriate image size next.

Jeffery

For responsive websites I create all images no wider than 300 pixels wide and in .png format.

For existing membership sites wherein the visitors are my existing clients and I already know know they use large monitors I create all images no wider than 720 pixels wide and also in .png format.

Jeffery

Marc van Leeuwen

Premium Member
Marc van Leeuwen
What are reasons why you create all images that no wider 300 and 720 pixels wide?

As I know if you don't provide wide enough for images, your images can display not really quality on devices that showing images wider than 720 or 300 pixels.

Jeffery

For responsive sites there are four modern devices that visitors use to view a website and all have different screen sizes, but the smallest to optimize in terms of the screen's image width is PHONE Vertical 300 px. Keep in mind any additional space for margins.
PHONE Horizontal | PHONE Vertical | TABLET Horizontal | TABLET Vertical

For large monitors you can use images that are 720 pixels wide without loss of quality.

To keep it simple it is easy to think of it like this:
Responsive: 300 px or smaller
Everything else: 300 px or bigger

Jeffery

Umar Bajwa

I'm trying to optimize my Wordpress blog to both look good and load fast. I'm trying to optimize all the images and banners on my blog but don't know what would be a good combination of "Looks Good" and "Loads Quick". In your opinion what is a good Wordpress banner size?

EDIT: I am talking about the actual pixel size and the file size.
It depends on the style of your theme, Your question should've been A Websites banner size.

esensetranslations

There are 4 most common sizes for a Wordpress banner:

125x125 is generally in the side bar, 300x300 is a side bar,
250x250 is generally in the post toward the top and 468x60 fits across the bottom or across the top of a post, but a good Wordpress banner size should generally be around 990X180 pixels. It will make your blog to both look good and load fast.

olaryeankarh

All you need is Ewww Image optimizer. Not sure that's the corect spelling but more like it. It helps to optimize every image uploaded to your wordpress site and reduce oad time. Ideally, you would need to install a plugin like WP Super Cache or W3 Total cache in order to help optimize entire load time.
Hope this helps

Aree

To determine what is the best size for your Wordpress banner, you have to start with your theme.

Some themes allow you to put a banner right across the page, from the extreme left to the extreme right. Some themes reserve some space on the left or right or both sides. Look at what shows up on your screen and you will get a better idea of what kind of banner you can have.

Next thing is to do some experimentation. Use your graphics software to produce your banner in different sizes. Then try each one out. Wordpress has a preview option for you to see how things look like before you go live.

One thing to consider is your page load speed. A page which loads slowly will put off many visitors. Make sure your images are optimized. I use Smush from Yahoo. There are lots of other image optimizers. Use a page load speed tool like Pingdom to find out how fast or how slow your page loads and where the bottlenecks are.

Jrlcentral

As for the size in terms of pixel dimension will differ depending where you want to place the banner. Different themes also have different banner sizes.

Let's make some assumptions for now. Let's say your page with is optimized for a 1024 px wide screen. If you are making a header banner maximize the width to 990 px. So that you will have some allowance on both sides and will minimize the chance that the horizontal scroll bar of the browser will appear..
As for the sidebar banners, follow the same principle, make your banner a little smaller than the sidebar. Like, if your sidebar 300px, make your image 290 px.
As for speed, make the resolution small. The recommended resolution is 72 dpi. Which is the default for most graphic software. This is enough to make a good quality image that will load fast.

Judas2018

I've found that 728x90, 300x250, and 336x280 work best when it comes to getting clicks and conversions. There's still room for the 160x600 ad in specific cases too. Not sure how the 468x60 ad is doing these days though.

thomsonkaren

The most ideal WordPress featured image size is 1200 x 628 pixels and these dimensions generally satisfy most WP blog themes. Different blogs (and more specifically, different themes) may have featured images with different sizes.

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Jen
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.