Is it hard to understand the difference between url vs domain?

Zack

I don't know if it's just me or not but since I have been doing a lot more reading about internet marketing, websites and web hosting lately I have seen a lot of people get these two things confused.

Does anyone really think that it's hard to understand the difference between url vs domain?

Some places seem to use these terms interchangeably and that's just not good because it can confuse some people.

vishwa

Well Domain name is consider as the name of your domain. Lets take webmasterun as an example, here webmastersun is a domain or you can say the domain name and the url is https://www.webmastersun.com Since webmastersun has plenty of threads and posts so, the url will be different for every posts but the domain name will be webmastersun. I hope you will understand it.

Zack

Zack
I understand the difference myself but I keep seeing things around the web where people are using them as one in the same.

For an example someone will say that "example.com/blog/email/subscribers/" and call that a domain when it's a URL.

Some people just seem to think that the terms are interchangeable.

davebusiness86s

Hmm I don't think it's a big deal. I rarely see people call domain instead of url though. People usually think "link" and "url" are the same, while actually they are different from they first definitions.
But yeah, if they write articles to provide information they shouldn't make that kind of mistake.

Zack

Zack
I have seen it a lot lately. Maybe it's just people that don't really understand what the differences are.

Do you think that maybe the people that are not knowing the differences are maybe just people that are new to websites or blogs? Then I could understand I guess.

Scopehosts

URL or Uniform Resource locator is a web address, used to indicated to a particular site like https://www.abc.com .

Domain name is used in a url to identify particular page or site.

JoeMilford

vishwa,
I think this is what causes the confusion, and I have been confused by it as well from time to time. I realize the terms are not one in the same, but the usage in the online culture seems to be a bit arbitrary at times.

p4paul

Funny how terms get mixed up nowadays. I guess it's because not all people are technical by nature. Most often they just see the tip of the iceberg and not the whole. Probably because they want to avoid complexity.

narutos3nn1n

Quite interesting but ever since I've started to learn on how can I create my own site online, I've never had any issues on mixing up those terms as I'm really confident that I have learned enough to make one up and running in no time. So in most cases, when someone told me a story or maybe a product they bought online, I specifically ask him/her to send me the link which is the actual URL of that particular site either through chat or email for me to get to the page faster rather than just searching it online.

SenseiSteve

If I said "uniform resource locator," I have no doubt most people would have no clue. Do they understand URL and domain name? Most of the time, yes. I actually don't see the problem here. If you're searching for a new domain name, you're not going to add https://www to your search query.

TheLarbyAMR

Like you see "https://www.facebook.com/larbysamirouche" this is a Facebook URL and Facebook.com is the domain.

Newer threads
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views