domain choice council

miky

Good evening,
I want to register a .com domain for a social network (I use the word "jokes" as an example), but being occupied jokes.com I was wondering which option is best from the point of view of marketing / seo, excluding synonyms:
- adding more words eg: letsjoke.com or tojoke.com
- use .social, which I don't know and I've never seen: thejokes.social
- other...?
Can you help me, giving reasons the answers? Thanks

Rob Whisonant

Look for a domain you can brand. Something that will be easy to remember. Stick with the .com for sure.

Ron Killian

Rob is right, .com is best. Who's going to remember to type in .social? I wouldn't. I did not even know that was available. But I don't buy many domains.

Some kind of niche maybe, though I am sure these are all taken, petjokes, dogjokes, catjokes, adultjokes, kidjokes, ect, ect.

miky

Thanks for reply!
unfortunately alll .com are taken
what about "thejokes" whit my country-code top-level domain?

Ron Killian

Up to you. Just might not get the traction when something besides .com because that is what ever one knows or is use to. How many people are going to know or remember to type in the extension?

But I am no expert, I've only used .com domains. Well, I did have a.net that did well years back. But I know the .com got alot of my traffic.

Just hate to put too much into a domain, only for it not to work well. Thinking out loud :)

ulterios

I have always preferred brand/brandable domain names myself. This can help you build up a recognizable name that people will remember.

Whenever possible try to use a .com unless you are mainly targeting a specific country ONLY, and then a country code (cc) domain can be an option.

miky

I had to register the domain with the "the" front and my cc as extension , hoping someday it will free the .com and without "the" domain :-(

lithin

It is always better to have .com if you plan to promote through ads. I would never recommend a new GTLD unless it is a super killer name which makes sense when pronounced.
You may see Brandbucket.com for good brand able names,if your budget permits.

Newer threads
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.