Paid Directories vs Free Directories

Zack

I see quite a bit of information around that says that directories can be good to help your rankings but I am not finding any good information that is recent about whether you need to use just paid directories or free directories also.

Can someone tell me if I need to use both types of directories and maybe what the differences are other than the money factor? I am looking for SEO reasons mostly.

SEOPub

I see quite a bit of information around that says that directories can be good to help your rankings but I am not finding any good information that is recent about whether you need to use just paid directories or free directories also.

Can someone tell me if I need to use both types of directories and maybe what the differences are other than the money factor? I am looking for SEO reasons mostly.
Generally speaking, most free directories are complete and total junk. There are a few exceptions to that such as Dmoz or local business directories like Yelp.

Paid directories tend to have stricter acceptance standards and the fee barrier tends to keep a lot of junk out, making them more worthwhile.

paul1129

I personally avoid free directories they most at the time give a big nothing.

samclarks

@Zack,

Most of the directories are over populated. Google considers those websites just an easy resource to acquire links, and that's why, they do have very little to do regarding overall authority and rankings.

Paid directories (on the other hand) do not have junk and they can make an impact.

GordonJ

GordonJ
Well explained! I am just curious how Google considers a directory is good for backlinks or not.
What determined on that factor? number of links to quality sites or too many spammy links or something else?

ulterios

ulterios
How Google determines if a directory is a good one or not is by using a high-tech device called a Magic Eightball.
(It's magic because it knows the answer to every question)

Here's a pic of it that was accidentally released to the public by a Google employee. Google is investigating to see which employee did this because this was top secret information that they didn't want people to know about.
;)

Eightball-500px-WEB-MAXQ-NOINF.jpg

hrishivardhan

In my case both are worth if you can find the good one. I have some paid directories for my business but in fever I am getting bulk of business. Buy befor buying the paid directory just check out it's brand situation and it's popularity. and you are done.

Zack

Generally speaking, most free directories are complete and total junk. There are a few exceptions to that such as Dmoz or local business directories like Yelp.

Paid directories tend to have stricter acceptance standards and the fee barrier tends to keep a lot of junk out, making them more worthwhile.
Thanks for your help again SEOPub. Are the paid directories affordable overall?

I personally avoid free directories they most at the time give a big nothing.
Didn't you at least get some traffic from them?

Most of the directories are over populated.
How can you tell which directories are overpopulated?

Buy befor buying the paid directory just check out it's brand situation and it's popularity.
How can I check it's popularity? The number of entries or maybe traffic?

Zack

Getting traffic is a relative term here. Getting traffic? Yes. But is the traffic good?? No.

They are mostly zombie like traffic who comes to your site stays or not then flees for forever.
I was figuring that you would get people that were interested in what is on your website since they were looking in the directories for something in particular when they found your listing.

For most of my clients, we usually spend between $2000-3000 in the first 2 months on directories. Some more.
Really, that much? Is that for a very large amount of directories or just some of the more expensive ones?

I had no idea that people paid that kind of money to get listed in directories.

Ron Killian

Seems most people don't see backlinks as an investment. What keywords could make for them long term when they rank.

Zack

Zack
Is $2000 to $3000 a normal amount that people invest in backlinks?

Ron Killian

Ron Killian
I have no idea, because I am not a SEO provider or quality backlink provider, but I am sure there are plenty. They are the ones who know what they will get out of it. I have some keywords that I know would pay that back in less in a month. So, so so many niches would or could be the same.

I was just trying to say, an online business needs to be looked at like a BUSINESS, most people don't get that. They would pony up in the brick and mortar world, but there seems to be such a different perspective online. Too many cheapo's or people looking for everything for free, thinking it will get them something big. Rarely happens. Hard to grow anything big without investing somehow somewhere.

/rant

But granted you have to have the money in the first place. That is often the rub. :)

Zack

Zack
Yeah I have noticed that outlook myself. People just don't want to treat an online business like a traditional business that has a physical location.

I think that people are more likely to see things that way because with a physical business you have something in front of you that you can see for many things. With an online business everything is pretty much virtual and online somewhere with nothing physical to see, touch or do something with.

Don't you think that is a big part of why people aren't treating online businesses like physical businesses? I can understand how some people think that way.

Ron Killian

Ron Killian
I don't know, it could be. Sounds logical.

I kinda believe it's because there has been a long time mentality that the internet is so "free". Even though it's not as free as it use to be, it's still the mentality.

What I really don't get is how SO many people don't want to pay for services, like hosting, autoresponder services. Maybe because there are free options. You'd think they would understand services cost money to provide.

Funny thing.. in the real world what do you get for free? Maybe a little sample at the grocery store. A free trial here. Nothing like the net.

Zack

I don't know, it could be. Sounds logical.

I kinda believe it's because there has been a long time mentality that the internet is so "free". Even though it's not as free as it use to be, it's still the mentality.
Well there are so many things on the internet that are free or have a free alternative and that kind of makes some people want everything they need for their business for free. Many people don't realize that usually the free versions of things don't have all the features, functions and abilities of the paid versions.

What I really don't get is how SO many people don't want to pay for services, like hosting, autoresponder services. Maybe because there are free options. You'd think they would understand services cost money to provide.
I think that it's just that too many people don't realize the paid versions of things will usually give the benefit of greater earnings potential.

The way the world and the internet is going, do you think that people will ever realize that many times the free things are what's holding them back?

google updates punish directories link and its a truth.
Google updates will punish your website if it has links from forums?

Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.