Is PPC advertising good for a new Ecommerce website?

Seller

I'll be starting up a small Ecommerce website and was thinking that I might want to use some PPC advertising when it launches to kick-start it and get it going. Is PPC good for a new Ecommerce website or is there something better to use?

I was thinking about maybe using Google Adwords and Facebook Advertising if they are a good choice.

vishwa

Yes, PPC advertising works great for eCommerce website to get some good amount of visitors initially. It will help you to boost your sales. Google Adwords is a great PPC network to get started. However I will also suggest you to use Bing Ads. Bing ads works great for small businesses and help you to target your audience very well.

Ron Killian

It "could" be a good way to boost your site, depends on how you do it. It's very easy to throw money away.

Saying it WILL without any details is not a useful reply.

Just spending money on ads does NOT mean you will boost your sales. Little more to it than that.

You need to target the right keywords and the right audience. And you need to track your campaigns to see what is working and what is not. Once you have winning campaigns you can scale it up because you are making a return on your ad spend. You need to set some goals.

Obviously just throwing up some ads and spending money, hoping something will stick is not a good strategy.

And of course it is not like putting an ad in the local newspaper, completely different thing online.

Well, sure you know that :)

Seller

Yes, PPC advertising works great for eCommerce website to get some good amount of visitors initially. It will help you to boost your sales. Google Adwords is a great PPC network to get started. However I will also suggest you to use Bing Ads. Bing ads works great for small businesses and help you to target your audience very well.
Bing advertising is one that I was thinking about using because I saw on some topics here that Bing is cheaper than Adwords.

Have you used Bing for your advertising?

It's very easy to throw money away.
That's something that I am worried about since I don't have experience in dealing with PPC advertising.

You need to target the right keywords and the right audience.
That's something I need to learn because I am not sure which keywords to target. Do I use keywords that are of or are related to the items in my ecommerce store?

And you need to track your campaigns to see what is working and what is not.
Do the advertisers keep track in my account so that I can see how my campaigns do or is there something external that I use for this?

Ron Killian

Ron Killian
I am no expert in PPC, but if you don't know what you are doing, you can blow alot of cash. One good thing, most every platform, you can cap your daily spend, so you can regulate the cost.

As for keywords, obviously you need to target keywords that get searches, or your ads won't show. So you need to do some research. Although, if you have a store, you should already know the right keywords so you can properly SEO your site/pages.

Might be best for you to do the keyword research for your own store, get that set up, and in the process you should then know what to do when it comes to paid ads. At least have some good places to start. From there it would be a matter of testing different ads and copy, combinations. The ad platform will show you that data.

And on some platforms, like facebook, you can target your ideal customer. That is something else you should know or discover.

Don't know of any ad platform that can tell you if a click turns into a sale, because that is on your site. But I could be wrong. So yes, you probably would need an external service for that. Google analytics does have ecommerce options as far as what url's turn into sales and even how many sales in dollar amount. Actually kind of cool feature I've been using for some time. Handy just to know what traffic is sending buyers. But I don't know how or if you can hook it all up through an ad platform like facebook. There is probably a way but I couldn't tell you. Have not done it myself. But I am sure the search engines could give you some answers there.

Like I said, I am not expert. Maybe some one with REAL experience will chime in with some better info.

Seller

One good thing, most every platform, you can cap your daily spend, so you can regulate the cost.
That's a good feature and one that I would use to help me keep track a

As for keywords, obviously you need to target keywords that get searches.
Do I just do a Google search and see if there are a lot of results or is there some other way to know for sure which keywords get searches?

Google analytics does have ecommerce options as far as what url's turn into sales and even how many sales in dollar amount. Actually kind of cool feature I've been using for some time.
I didn't know Google analytics had that kind of feature. I'll have to find out where it is and take a look at it.

Like I said, I am not expert.
Expert or not you have a lot more knowledge about these things than I do and you have been very helpful. I appreciate all the help you have given me Ron, thank you.

Ron Killian

Ron Killian
Doing a google search is not going to be accurate, that just shows all the pages that match the keyword/phrase. Does not tell you how many people are actually searching for a keyword.

Probably the best tool is Google Adwords key word planner. Adwords account is free, but I think you have to have ads running to use the planner? Maybe some one can confirm? I have not used it for so long.

Many moons ago I use to use wordtracker.com and I "think" I stopped using it because it was not accurate any more. I see they are still around and looks like they have changed alot and it says they are better than google keyword planner, but I don't know. Thinking I might need to sign up again.

I use woocommerce and have a free plug in that hooks up the ecomm though google analytics. I think you also have to enable ecommerce in your google analytics account. I love it, shows me dollar amounts for every url that makes sales. and of course urls that don't bring in the sales. Can be nice data to have, see which traffic sources to focus on.

[/nonexpert]

Seller

Probably the best tool is Google Adwords key word planner.

Many moons ago I use to use wordtracker.com and I "think" I stopped using it because it was not accurate any more. I see they are still around and looks like they have changed alot and it says they are better than google keyword planner, but I don't know.
I'll take a look into these. Thanks for your help Ron.

EDIT: I just went onto wordtracker.com's website and it looked like they have some kind of demo on the home page to try it out but after I entered a keyword it just went to a blue screen. I wonder if that's just for looks and not a demo.

Yes, I had used them before to promote some of my offers and it works really great. I get some good sales from it.
If I wanted to try them out then what would be a good starting amount to budget for this? I haven't used any of these types of services before so I don't know what the normal is for a small website to use them.

johnclarke

I'll be starting up a small Ecommerce website and was thinking that I might want to use some PPC advertising when it launches to kick-start it and get it going. Is PPC good for a new Ecommerce website or is there something better to use?

I was thinking about maybe using Google Adwords and Facebook Advertising if they are a good choice.
As a small startup, PPC ads would be a good source to get initial traffic, and might possible few sales. But I wont recommend you to put all your eggs in one basket. Diversify your marketing strategy, allocate budget for each channel. See which channels is driving the maximum traffic and sales and which one is costing you. So you will get a better idea where to spend and how much.

I would also suggest to focus on SEO, Social & Email as well, because in long run it will yield you a healthy amount of sales and brand awareness, and huge converting traffic.

While targeting an audience for your product, I would suggest be very specific, target only those who are interested and Worth. If you are targeting very broadly, it will cost you a lot.

Seller

You can start from any amount. Bing is designed for small business owners and they don't have any minimum or maximum limits.
That's good. I'll probably start out with maybe $200 and see how well it does and adjust my amounts based on the results that I get. Thanks for your help.

But I wont recommend you to put all your eggs in one basket.
Do you mean that I should try different ad networks?

I would also suggest to focus on SEO, Social & Email as well, because in long run it will yield you a healthy amount of sales and brand awareness, and huge converting traffic.
Does email promoting do that well? I would think that most people would just ignore emails that they aren't familiar with.

While targeting an audience for your product, I would suggest be very specific, target only those who are interested and Worth.
How would I know which are interested in my products and how can I tell if they are worth it?

johnclarke

Test different ad network and measure the response, If it is converting very well, than go for it. And for new advertiser Google & Bing offer free credit to start with so it will not going to cost you. Even a LinkedIn also offer free credit on regular basis, so you can use that too.

Selecting Audience is sometimes tough. but you can select targeting people who have already shown interest to your competitors product. Target specific group or site where your target audience gather. It can be through LinkedIn group or can be display advertising on Google Adwords.

Seller

for new advertiser Google & Bing offer free credit to start with so it will not going to cost you. Even a LinkedIn also offer free credit on regular basis, so you can use that too.
How do I get the free credit for those?

Target specific group or site where your target audience gather. It can be through LinkedIn group or can be display advertising on Google Adwords.
How do you target groups in LinkedIn?

johnclarke

johnclarke
For LinkedIn, first you need to verify your account with valid credit card. Once it is verified you can add coupon to your account of $50. Targeting and advertising on LinkedIn is kind of good experience. You could target different personals, skills, job roles, geographies and even specific groups.

While creating an ad campaign, you will come to know that how you target specific audience.

Ryan_132

How do you target groups in LinkedIn?
You can target groups on LinkedIn by searching for groups that are in your niche, then target those specific groups via sponsored content (paid). LinkedIn advertising allows you to target potential customers very selectively (e.g. Geo, Age, Skills, Degrees, Groups, Job Title). Although, LinkedIn advertising is defintelly more B2B focused.

How do I get the free credit for those?
If you sign up for an account you will be able to get free credit to start your campaign. The amount is usually not significant but it will get you going , I know you get $50 for free on LinkedIn.. Can't remember how much Adwords gives you.

Seller

Targeting and advertising on LinkedIn is kind of good experience. You could target different personals, skills, job roles, geographies and even specific groups.
You can target down to job roles and skills? I thought it would do things like age groups, genders, locations and things like that but didn't know you could get such refined targeting.

If you sign up for an account you will be able to get free credit to start your campaign. The amount is usually not significant but it will get you going , I know you get $50 for free on LinkedIn.. Can't remember how much Adwords gives you.
Well something for free is better than nothing. Do you have to have some kind of code or is it automatically credited to your account?

I have seen coupon codes for Facebook and Adwords but nothing for Linkedin but I really haven't looked for any.

Ryan_132

Ryan_132
Yes, you can target very specifically on Linkedin. You even can target by company seniority if you would like to do it that way instead.

Type in "Linkedin marketing" on google, Click on the first page, The landing page will be a form asking for your information. Once you fill it out you will be able to download the LinkedIn marketing guide and they will send you an email regarding your $50 in Ad credits.

johnclarke

Yes, you can target people by their skills. And LinkedIn often offers promotional credits to keep you advertise on LinkedIn. I personally received around $350 of LinkedIn credit within 4 month. which I quite interesting. While on Adwords You must have to spend such amount to be eligible for the promotional credit. And In Facebook I haven't received any credit till date.

LinkedIn is really a good platform to start, specially if you are into content marketing. You could use sponsored updates to expand reach of you content.

Seller

Seller
How did you get those credits? Did they just offer them to you because you were already a paying customer?

johnclarke

johnclarke
Yes, it is true that if you regularly advertise on their platform they will offer some promotional credits. You can also get some credit from your networks who are not advertising but have received such offer.

Just search on Google about LinkedIn Free Ad Credit, You will come to the page that offers free advertising credits ONLY to the new user.

let me know if you need any help with the creating campaign and targeting audience.

olaryeankarh

Yes, you are on the right track. In fact, this is the right route to take in order to fast-track your e-commerce business. From my little experience, Facebook adverts could be cheaper and help to reach potential customers faster (this includes those that originally are not looking for your product(s) but would like to buy depending on how you pitch your sales copy).
I advise that you start with Facebook adverts (on a well-designed page) then once you get the roots so well, go ahead to scale up with Google Adwords.
Hope this helps!

martindrox

Yes. In my opinion go for it. PPC is far better than CPM, and don't get into affiliate marketing right away. PPC is good to go and it'll guarantee you some good revenue. When you feel like you have mass traffic make a switch to affiliate marketing but is it good for a eCommerce site?

anayabisht05

Yes, PPC works great for e-commerce website, it can help you to found good amount or visitor on your website, PPC also can help to boost your sale. Create a PPC campaign with suitable keywords, and boost your business sale day by day.

olaryeankarh

olaryeankarh
Hi,
PPC is great of a truth, but how do you handle the issue of small scale advertisers competing with the rich guys in PPC networks?
You know the system works on a bidding system, right?

Laudemer3

Yes i think PPC is good you just have to know how can you convince other people to join you a very attractive income and logo will do they will look for that i think. Anyway in a business you will not know if it will work if you will not try it. The risk is always there.

etdigital

Yes,
It is best practice to use PPC Advertising and Facebook Advertising for small ecommerce business. Here you can target your audience according to your demographics, interests, country, language etc. You can set your daily spent on advertising. I will suggest you to go with Google Adwords Platform for branding.

Newer threads
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.