Anyone know how to open sql files?

Liam

I was trying to open an sql file for my website on my home computer and I can't get it to open up correctly.

Does anyone know how to open sql files?

AffiliateTutor

What are you trying to do exactly? An SQL file is just the code which queries a database table so you would open it in an SQL editor, or even notepad, but all you will see is SQL code, you won't see any actual database results if that's what you're trying to do?

Steve32

Steve32
Opening sql files with notepad is a bad idea, it will be mess up with things in it and you can read its codes.
I would recommend using a text editor like notepad++ or sublime to open kind of file.

AffiliateTutor

AffiliateTutor
Yes you're right, I would never recommend for anyone to actually code in basic notepad, I was just making the point that you COULD open an SQL file in notepad. I agree with you that notepad++ would be much better if you intend to actually work with the file.

Contentgather

Contentgather
Huh? What do you actually mean by this?

Plain old Notepad is the cleanest text editor there is, and the one that is least likely to insert any garbage into what you're working with. I won't claim that it's the best way to write SQL, but it's not going to screw anything up if you do. If you're using Notepad and your SQL breaks, it's because you broke it - not the tool.

Dewlance

WMS Marketplace Seller
Notepad is best because of If you have a any unsupported character then it will not affect your SQL file but If you will use Notepad++ then it can create a character like "?, ae" etc.

Why I am saying this?
Daily, I do a job of SQL. I mean I edit SQL file of customers and face this issue.

SQL Editor?
1. MySQL localserver is good for you to edit any data.
2. Notepad.

Liam

What are you trying to do exactly? An SQL file is just the code which queries a database table so you would open it in an SQL editor, or even notepad, but all you will see is SQL code, you won't see any actual database results if that's what you're trying to do?
I was trying to see if I could see the data in a database.

I would recommend using a text editor like notepad++ or sublime to open kind of file.
Thanks, i'll try that. :D

Notepad is best because of If you have a any unsupported character then it will not affect your SQL file but If you will use Notepad++ then it can create a character like "?, ae" etc.
Oh! Then as long as I want to see the database data but not edit it then either will work?

Liam

You shall be able to see your sql files or databse by the server editor that you have used .It depends on the extension or the type of database you are using. suppose your database extension is with .mdf then you should try to open with sql server, or if .oledb then open it with php admin server and so on.
Alright, thank you.

Liam

Notepad is just a software, its maximum size depends on system memory and disk file system.
For NTFS: 64KB---16TB
For FAT32: 1b---4GB
Great, many thanks. I didn't know there were limitations based on the file system.

Riviera

If the sql file size is not so big. you can import in to PHP admin to view it.
At firt you need to install a localhost web server, i recommend WampServer or XAMPP. you only install one of them
download at:
Code:
https://www.apachefriends.org/download.html
or
Code:
www.wampserver.com/en/
Step by step instruction please visit:
Code:
http://www.inmotionhosting.com/support/website/phpmyadmin/import-database-using-phpmyadmin

Older threads
Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.