What is the best logo size in pixels?

Seller

I've been looking at possibly getting a professional logo done for an upcoming ecommerce website and was gathering data for my needs and information for a designer. I am not sure if there is a particular logo size that is best or maybe a common standard size.

Does anyone have any kind of information on logo sizes in pixels to help me out?

Seller

It is mainly considered according to the requirement of the website. Suppose if you are designing Favicons then it should be 16×16, 32×32, 48×48,for Horizontal Website it should be 250 x 150, 350 x 75 ,400 x 100 in terms of pixels.
Then there is no real set standard that most websites use?

Is it better to get one that is bigger than I would probably need so that it can go down in size if I need it to later without distorting?

DarioPV

I do agree that it depends on the need of the website and where are you putting it up. I never bought one but did design a few for some small projects. Since presumably you want to use them on multiple places (not just on your website) then having a vector file that you can adjust for whatever use you need seems kind off logical.

Rob Whisonant

Always ask for it to be as large as practical. I'm talking 3,840 pixels or larger on the short side. It's also best to get it created as a vector image so it can be resized without any loss of clarity.

The reason you want it so big is because you never know where you are going to use it. For example, let's say you ship products, printed materials need higher DPI to look clean. The higher the DPI the larger the original image needs to be.

Seller

I do agree that it depends on the need of the website and where are you putting it up. I never bought one but did design a few for some small projects. Since presumably you want to use them on multiple places (not just on your website) then having a vector file that you can adjust for whatever use you need seems kind off logical.
Well as of right now I don't have a need to have it be used in many places but I would like to be prepared for future needs just in case. When looking at designers do I just tell them I need a vector file? I don't know much about graphics and related things.

Always ask for it to be as large as practical. I'm talking 3,840 pixels or larger on the short side. It's also best to get it created as a vector image so it can be resized without any loss of clarity.

The reason you want it so big is because you never know where you are going to use it. For example, let's say you ship products, printed materials need higher DPI to look clean. The higher the DPI the larger the original image needs to be.
Thanks for the information Rob, you're always a good source of it. :D

Can I just tell a designer a max size in inches or does it have to be pixels?

If pixels, would 3,840 (your recommendation) be what I should shoot for or is bigger better?

Rob Whisonant

Rob Whisonant
For print media you would calculate 300 dpi x inches to get the pixel size. So 11 inches would be 3,300 pixels

For online you use 72 dpi but really can't calculate inches since it depends on the monitor and it's resolution being viewed on. I usually base things on a screen resolution of 1920x1080.

HostaPolis

I have never seen a set standard for logo size. I think it all depends on the actual design of your site as mentioned.

If you are speaking with someone who does designs, they will likely send you different sizes unless you request a specific one. I just get a nice big one and scale it down myself. Just have to make sure the quality can handle a large scale down.

Seller

Seller
Would a designer normally charge you for each size you want? It should be nothing at all for them to provide a small one as well as the big one if you mainly wanted a larger size I would think.

Seller

To be honest, I always assumed that you get a vector file when you buy these things. I would definetly ask for it.
I was checking and some of the places online do not have the vector included but I will let them know that I want one. Thanks

For print media you would calculate 300 dpi x inches to get the pixel size. So 11 inches would be 3,300 pixels
Great, I am saving this info to my notes.

For online you use 72 dpi but really can't calculate inches since it depends on the monitor and it's resolution being viewed on. I usually base things on a screen resolution of 1920x1080.
I have noticed that a lot of the newer laptops are starting to come with 1920x1080 displays where not long ago the default that I most often saw was 1366x768. I'll keep these numbers referenced as well. Thank you Rob.

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views