• REGISTER HERE - Join us for FREE
    Stick this thread
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 20/0
    Given: 1/0
    Thanks

Is Godaddy's 99 cent domain worth it?

Have you bought domains from Godaddy?
    The 99 cent coupons are really juicy but have you been able to renew for anything less than $14?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 367/0
    Given: 26/0
    Thanks
    Personally I don't like or will ever use Godaddy... But, at 99 cents + 14 for the second year, that's basically 7.50 a year. Then near the end of the second year, transfer it to a better registrar.

Also, 14 is really cheap. I use to pay $100.00 a year per domain many years ago.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 13/0
    Given: 20/0
    Thanks
    Yes, I always take advantage of their 99 cent domains when I can, it's a great deal no matter how you look at it. And for a starter site GoDaddy hosting isn't nearly as bad as people claim. Often, these people are promoting affiliate links for other hosting companies. GoDaddy isn't my first choice, but hey, if you can get a 99 cent domain then go for it.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 85/3
    Given: 108/2
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by enstinemuki View Post
    The 99 cent coupons are really juicy but have you been able to renew for anything less than $14?
    Yes, I'm having many domains at Godaddy now. And it's really worth if you can buy domain with 99 cents at them. About renewal, after the 1st year, you can use coupon when you need to renew them. It's hard to find renewal coupons from GD nowadays, however you can find it, if that you can save about 20% - 30% of renewal price (~$9-$12)

Good luck to you,

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 52/0
    Given: 598/2
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by enstinemuki View Post
    Yes you can get domain at that pricing but you will need to renew it around $12/ year and Godaddy doesn't have coupon code for domain renewals.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 191/3
    Given: 104/1
    Thanks
    I hardly found any discount coupons on Godaddy domain renewals. I have to renew my domains on regular prices. I think its a Godaddy marketing strategy to lure the new customers to buy the domain names and this practice is done by majority of web hosting and domain registrar companies.
    Imbloggingtips- Internet Marketing Blog.
    Prowebhosters:- Professional Web Hosting

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 5/0
    Given: 0/0
    Thanks
    yes go for it, 99cent domain in godaddy locked only for two years, you can transfer your domain after two years, so you dont have to worry about the renewal price /year
    Affordable Website Themes
    https://www.20dollarthemes.com

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 370/0
    Given: 557/0
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ron13315 View Post
    yes go for it, 99cent domain in godaddy locked only for two years, you can transfer your domain after two years, so you dont have to worry about the renewal price /year
    Wherever you got that information I don't know, but that is incorrect. Any domain registered is only registrar locked for 60 days. After that you can transfer to another registrar if you want. The price has absolutely nothing to do with how long a domain is locked.

GoDaddy might be putting out false information so that you pay the renewal the second year so they recoup their loss on the first year but I doubt that they would do that as putting out false info will hurt their reputation and standings in the domain community.

There is a lot of false information around the internet and wherever you found this is wrong. Don't believe anything you see on a site or elsewhere that is not from a trusted source itself.

Here it is from ICANN directly: https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/name-holder-faqs-2012-02-25-en
    ►► Follow me on TWITTER and keep up with my random and informative Tweets!_

►► Check out my personal blog site HERE for my attempts at writing!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks
    Its my own experience, godaddy locked my 99cents domain there for two year, I renewed it for $14 then after two years I transferred it in namecheap november last year.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks
    Its my own experience, godaddy locked my 99cents domain there for two year, I renewed it for $14 then after two years I transferred it in namecheap november last year.
    You can go into your GoDaddy control panel and unlock them and transfer them after 60 days. You just have to go in and turn off the lock.

It has been this way as far back as I can remember and I have bought and moved thousands of domains from GoDaddy over the years.

If GoDaddy isn't letting you unlock them after 90 days then contact their support because that is against ICANN rules and regulations and they can not do that.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ulterios For This Useful Post:
    ron13315 (08-01-2017)

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks
    Aww godaddy tricked me, i never thought that I can just unlock it and waited for two years. Thanks for the information sir.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks
    Aww godaddy tricked me, i never thought that I can just unlock it and waited for two years. Thanks for the information sir.
    You are very welcome. Most of the registrars don't want you to know that you can transfer out after 60 days because they would lose money on the domains they gave to you at a promotion rate.

The last I heard the registrars pay about $7 give or take for a .com registration to the registry so they lose money when they offer promo codes but they make up for it the next year when people pay more than that to renew it.

You used to be able to register a lot of $.99 domains at GoDaddy as long as you used a different code but that all changed when they became a public traded company about a couple years ago.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks
    By default when you buy new domains at any registrar, they're locked until you unlock them (usually for transfer out)

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks
    I think it's worth it and Godaddy is a great service and a $14 yearly renewal is not bad at all. That's about 2 big mac combos at Mcdonalds!

P.S. I have been using Godaddy for the last 6+ years and I have been 100% satisfied with them and I have never had a single problem with them and their support is top notch. I highly recommend them!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulwatcher View Post
    I think it's worth it and Godaddy is a great service and a $14 yearly renewal is not bad at all. That's about 2 big mac combos at Mcdonalds!
    Love that comparison! It puts things into a realistic perspective.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 8/0
    Given: 4/0
    Thanks
    I'm not affiliated with GoDaddy in any way shape or form. But I personally recommend their hosting services. Before I even heard of GoDaddy, my parents were using their services for domain hosting since 1999. My parents became self-employed in '95 and went online in '99. They had the same domain name for almost 16 years hosted by GoDaddy. But had to change it of recent as the brand itself evolved. Fast-forward to modern day, I'm currently using GoDaddy to host my first affiliate niche site. To date, I've never had any issues with them. Also, any problems I did have were resolved within a few emails sent back and forth.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanS View Post
    I'm not affiliated with GoDaddy in any way shape or form. But I personally recommend their hosting services. Before I even heard of GoDaddy, my parents were using their services for domain hosting since 1999. My parents became self-employed in '95 and went online in '99. They had the same domain name for almost 16 years hosted by GoDaddy. But had to change it of recent as the brand itself evolved. Fast-forward to modern day, I'm currently using GoDaddy to host my first affiliate niche site. To date, I've never had any issues with them. Also, any problems I did have were resolved within a few emails sent back and forth.
    In domain industry, GD is the world's leading registrar, but they're not in hosting industry. I've been also using many domains at GD since 2010, they're really good. But I haven't try their hosting services yet. Maybe I will try with some of my small sites to test out.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 7/0
    Given: 4/0
    Thanks
    I've seen 99 cent domains at Godaddy in years past but they're normally anything but .com. Not sure if that rule has changed nowadays or not. But if it has, I am pretty sure you cannot renew them for that price. It's a 1 time offer to lock you into a domain. Then once you have had it for a year you should be in position to renew it at regular price the following year.

Newer Threads

1. enstinemuki
    ulterios
    Replies: 5 | Views: 344
    Last post by ulterios, 04-19-2017, 11:04 AM
  2. enstinemuki
    Intuz
    Replies: 11 | Views: 668
    Last post by Intuz, 05-11-2017, 09:33 AM
  3. Neil23
    Neil23
    Replies: 4 | Views: 406