Learning to code, where to start?

Simon Baker

Hi guys! Any recommend a language I can start learning? I have some Visual basic background and would like to grow my tech skills. They say python is easy. Any thoughts?

Mike001

Simon,

This is such an open ended question. In order to answer this question with any degree of accuracy the person answering the question would need to know what exactly are you trying to accomplish with the knowledge.

Writing for the web requires a different set of skills and languages than you would need to write mobile apps, writing a gaming application for a PC or a specific gaming hardware platform would also require a different set of languages and tools than writing a dynamic web application.

Even writing a static web application as compared to a dynamic web application requires different skill sets.

You need to be more specific as to what you are trying to accomplish with the knowledge.

Simon Baker

Simon Baker
Like I said Im just trying to increase my skill set. I was hoping that someone would suggest something that wouldnt be a struggle to get into after mentioning that I have some knowledge in visual basic. Try to think learning portuguese instead of chinese after gaining some knowledge in spanish. Thanks :)

Mike001

Simon,

I have read through your question a couple times now and still have not figured out, by the question, what you are trying to accomplish. In order to accurately answer your question, I need to know that.

Programming has many different areas of focus. If you can give me an idea what you are wanting to do with the programming you learn I may be able to point you in the right direction.

Try to think of visiting Japan. It would do you know go to learn Hindi or Dutch and visit Japan. Programming is know different. If you want to develop web sites, that requires different programming skills, then writing stand-alone mobile apps, which in turn would be different than writing for game development on a PC.

Many of the languages have commonalities in how they are structured but they are different skill sets.

rozzski89

Hi guys! Any recommend a language I can start learning? I have some Visual basic background and would like to grow my tech skills. They say python is easy. Any thoughts?
If you have basic knowledge about Visual basic and wanted to start building website for earning money then PHP is a great language to learn.
It does not only help you to build your custom sites but you can build or developing sites from popular platforms as Wordpress, Joomla or Drupal.

Mike001

If you have no background in web development, PHP is not the place to start.

It is a great language for building dynamic web applications, that is true, and in fact is the most popular dynamic web development language currently in use, but in order to use it effectively, especially with frameworks like Joomla, WordPress and Drupal you need to have a very good foundation in HTML, CSS and JavaScript.

If you are wanting to learn web development, stay away from frameworks, like WordPress, Joomla and Drupal. They are great for building rapid site development but DO NOT follow "Best Practices". They are difficult to maintain proper SEO techniques and because of their popularity are constant targets for hackers with many security issues.

Mike001

Simon,

If you are interested I have a couple hundred hours of free videos on my site on HTML, CSS and JavaScript, plus many other subjects. I have posted many of the videos based on college classes that I teach.

Just a thought if you are interested and if you have any questions as you go through them just drop me an email, I will help you anyway that I can.

Eli Maximilien

If you want to start learning programming concepts right away, I recommend Python. After you understand basic concepts such as a boolean, perhaps you can stop learning Python and learn a more powerful language like Java. Python is easy for a lot of people to learn quickly because the syntax looks like basic English. It's also still widely used today.

Kamarsun9

Well python is a good place to start, I think python is geared toward video game making, Scratch is a good place to start for kids, even making mods for Minecraft is a good place to start, you may not learn much coding, but it helps to put your mind into the general process of how coding works.

forgood

in the begining you should learn html and css really well cause they are the base of programming after that its depend you will find a lots of language so you should draw your path and know really what you want a back end developper or a front end developper and then continue with learning

livsn85

In terms of learning how to code and get a very high skills in coding i would recommend the codeschool.com its a school online that you can learn how to code or program learning online has many advantage you can learn when you just want its not like an ordinary school its like a home schooling that youre the one who will decide when or where you want to learn so its very nice to give it try and learn there im assuring that you can learn fast but it depends on you always.

leeyong88

I guess you need to start with the basics, like C, HTML or Java. I think these will be helpful if your goal is to earn through coding. After mastering those, then you can proceed with advanced languages, which are pretty related with the basics.

But then, the decision will be yours, if you want python, then be it. Try if for yourself, and good luck.

sritaa

As you said Your background is visual basic. So, I can assume who have some prior knowledge of coding and you are eager to develop your coding skills. Then Python is the best start for your goals to achieve. If even you do not have any prior knowledge of coding PYTHON is very easy to learn and have a huge scope in the IT sector. Learn python from the best Python training Institute in Noida for 2 to 3 months and become expert of programming languages.

Hope this information will help you!!

rajesh1997

if you go in machine learning and artificial intelligence field . than you must learn

LearnTheNew

Yes, @SimonBaker you can go with python because to learn python you need to learn html, css & javascript. I think you have doubt to go with python or PHP. my recommend go with python because it has major roll in all industries like mechanie learning, electronics, web development etc. @LearnTheNew

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Replies
Views