Do I need domain privacy?

RufusBrewer

I have a list of domains and running ethical quality sites on them. So far I have been buying domain privacy but I am starting to wonder what am I gaining from it?

I would love to learn your thoughts regarding domain privacy.

Any comments?

jyy

If you are running some sort of an adult website and you don't want friends and family to know, then you might want to consider the privacy option. Also, you might want the option if you don't want to be bugged by people wanting to buy your domain. Anyway, myself, I see it as too expensive and I don't mind people asking me to buy a domain - because I just ignore them. How about you guys? Are you all annoyed by people wanting to buy domains?

Rob Whisonant

Does a brick and mortar store need privacy? If you are running a above board business you really don't need it. If you run your business from home, get a PO Box for your business address.

ngclassic

of course you need! you must be protected from social enginering and doxing! use offshore domains and hosts

TomasJ

You don't unless you are running any shady site. There has been always a lot of discussions what Google thinks about domain privacy and whether it could influence your positions in SERPs (in negative way of course).

manoaratefy

I have a friend who have build PBN and all domains name he use for these blogs are WHOIS pricacy enabled. He told that in this way, he can get more SEO score when he refer other website (SEO score for the referred website, of course).

ulterios

If you are running a business or eCommerce website then I would usually go without whois privacy just to show that you are not trying to hide anything. I would just use a separate email address for the contact information because you'll probably get a lot of spam.

If you are running blogs or other sites that are not really business type sites then it's up to you if you would want to use it or not. I like to use whois privacy for my blogs and other types of websites where showing or hiding contact information makes no real difference.

It's usually a matter of preference though but if you don't use privacy I would recommend not using your regular email address or one that you value. ;)

Aby

You don't need Domain privacy, if you're running a legit site.
People who use domain privacy need it to keep their doamins a secret from their relatives or some unwanted group of people.
I'd not choose to use domain privacy, if I were running a legit public friendly website.

Without domain privacy all of your contact information becomes public and part of WHOIS listing. Domain Privacy is a shield for your personal email against spam and Junk mails. Your personal information often may be a part of competitor's marketing research. Your personal information may become a part an email list or a database captured for selling. I feel, Domain privacy is layer of security and peace of mind.

Older threads
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views