Are .me domains good?

Dopani

For the domain .com I wanted to have, it was taken, I am going to change to .me instead. Are .me domains good? Did you use some? when should I use this extension?

jyy

They are good for domain hacks. Those things are situations where the domain and its extension make a witty phrase. For instance, shake.me is a domain hack. Anyway, .me might also be good because it appeals to the whole "me" idea. For instance, DesignerClothing.me appeals to this sort of narcissitic spirit, no offense to anyone, of many customers. Oh, by the way, Iv'e never gotten a .me domain, but it sound a little bit too selfish for my individual taste. However, though, it's all subjective.

Rob Whisonant

Just keep in mind if you tell someone your domain name.... The majority of time they are NOT going to remember .me... They are going to type in .com.

So if you don't mind giving the .com free traffic, .me is fine... :)

Think about it...

jyy

jyy
Possibly people who are more familiar with the site would remember the domain extension. However, though, the problem you mentioned would be massive among newbies to the website. Nonetheless, if they have bookmarked it and keep going to it, then perhaps they will eventually learn.

Anyway, myself, I don't get confused by domain extensions that much but I'm sort of a - domain extension freak :rolleyes2: - and I'm sure I'm not alone but definitely most web surfers are in the other group.

PenguinManiac

New domains like .me are fine to use, especially if it's a personal website you're planning to make and you just want to go with the cheapest option. It also provides that "personal" feeling that you should seek with this type of website.
However, I'd highly discourage it if you're working on a business website. As mentioned, .com domains are the ones most customers are going to type in (or, if you're working on a local scale, your national domain will do, too), and well-settled extensions could prove to be easier to deal with for SEO.
If you're willing to change the name of the domain or if it's still in the works, though, there is one more option I'd take into consideration. Domains should not just contain valuable keywords to get on top of search engine ranks, but they should also be memorable. You want your visitors to remember your website's URL off the top of their head. The wave of new domain extensions gave webmasters a new way to express their creativity, and .me saw a rise in popularity just for that. Think of domains like join.me, for instance, or Del.icio.us, Last.fm, even Youtu.be. Combining the domain extension into the name itself is witty and fresh, and, on the long run, I expect these names to be remembered more easily. It might take some more time to think it out, but the trade-off will be worth it.

TomasJ

They are good if you can connect the domain name to it, like "Trust.me" or something.

Ridew

The .me extension used for general purpose like startups business, college students, freelancers. However, some people have used .me as part of their phrase, but mostly used for personal websites.

Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.