How did you get your first client in UpWork?

galegatling

As the title goes, how did you do it? I tried joining UpWork and it has been a month, still no client. I think the clients are looking for workers with track record and hours worked. Sadly I haven't got them yet. Although I always keep on trying.

Please share me your tips and ideas!

Thanks. :)

Cchaen

I work a lot with upwork as a customer. and I usually hire only freelancers with proven results. However if there is someone who is relatively very cheap with no previous recommendation sometime I will hire him and test him first for a few weeks. So I advise you to start very cheap to get recommendations and in a few months you'll be able to get jobs for more money.

galegatling

galegatling
This is the sad reality. But we can't blame the client though. They want the best so they have to hire the best. I even set my rate to 4$/hr just to get those hours and feedback but still nothing.

Unknown

Don't feel discouraged. Remember that every start/beginning is the toughest. Once you break the ice it gets a bit easier and you will only go up.

I was pretty lucky getting my first UpWork client. I also faced a similar problem as you - I was a complete newb on the site versus all of these highly experienced freelancers with amazing reviews. I honestly thought that I had no chance whatsoever. I was primarly focusing around writing, developing and the sales and marketing category.

Then one day, out of nowhere, I actually got hired for translation. One of the clients urgently needed somebody to translate a text in a language that isn't really widely popular and that I happen to know because I live next to the country. You could say I was blessed in a way. So, we ended up working together, not only for that one task but he also rehired me after on 4 different occasions. This gave me a nice little boost that I needed and the good reviews. He recommended me to his friends and so it began.

What I am trying to say is - it can happen completely randomly and sooner than you know it, you will have a nice side income.

Meanwhile, I do agree with Cchaen. You can always try to lower your rate/wage. Also, which categories are you trying out? some categories are harder to get work in - it depends how much demand and supply there is. Consider picking categories that don't have too many people crawling around :p

galegatling

galegatling
Waaaa. You are so lucky. :'( I feel discouraged now. Lol. It's not everyday that something like that happens. I mean, you were just really lucky. I have been sending top notch proposals. I even give sample suggestions about the jobs the clients are posting but still nothing, no notif, no email, nada. I am not really good at anything else aside from article writing, some data entries or internet research. And yes, I know those jobs are already populated. I don't have the time to learn how to use photoshop or Ai. :/ I just need one client to give me some hours and a good review. Sigh.

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Replies
Views
wms
Replies
Views
Latest threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

Latest postsNew threads

Referral contests

Referral link for :

Sponsors

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.